Sticking Together Is Not Always A Good Idea

CrazedMonkOnaMissionCrazedMonkOnaMission Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7429Members
<div class="IPBDescription">controversial? you bet</div> This is what I seem to get from every online game, teamplay and the best strategy is to walk together with everyone. I think this is hardly the case, especially in a more strategy demanding game such as NS. Staying together, and attacking one location, will jsut let aliens focus there defenses around one location. However if you split up, aliens will have to split up also. Why will this work? aliens have no "commander" they can't immediatly see how many units are attacking there locations. So 1 guy attacking a hive, could be the same as 10. If aliens split half there forces to attack 1 guy, then your main attack will have a much easier time breaking through. This is just one example of how a single group is not always the best strategy.

Comments

• FlatlineUTDFlatlineUTD Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7695Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Crazed Monk On a Mission+Nov 17 2002, 07:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crazed Monk On a Mission @ Nov 17 2002, 07:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is just one example of how a single group is not always the best strategy.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Typically, you do want your marines to stay in at least groups of 2 or 3. On large servers, you can have a few groups, but it makes the commander's job that much more difficult.

I usually try and have 1 main attack squad to set up forward bases, and a smaller support one that keeps tabs on the main force, as well as resource nodes, bases, etc.

But, as you mentioned, if one particular strategy isn't working, change it up! I've got a post called 'Tactical Versatility' floating around on this board somewhere.
  • MindmeldmeMindmeldme The Evil One Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1637Members
    Yea, read up on flatlines Thread, good read. I try and have only 2 or 3 squads but it does work to have one or two marines go on a suicide run just as a diversion.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    A: If they split up, it's all the easier to kill them, if they stuck together, they would at least be able to take alot out, which is solid fact.

B: You have the same logic going against both sides, like you said aliens have no commander, but then why would they all concentrate on one area? Of course it would happen evantually but then that's because they would have to stick together again in the first place.
  • CrazedMonkOnaMissionCrazedMonkOnaMission Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7429Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> A: If they split up, it's all the easier to kill them, if they stuck together, they would at least be able to take alot out, which is solid fact.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Aliens have better area effect weapons vs. players then marines do. They are more effective in taking out groups, if I'm a fade whenever I am alien, I hope they attack me in groups, since each extra person means I'm doing more damage with acid rockets.

2. I never said they should just wander around the map by themselves. However telling guys to just walk around together is not a strategy either. Walking around ina group killing aliens does nothing to win the game. Ultimately if one group keeps forces occupied far away from there hive, a single marine can take the hive down.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->B: You have the same logic going against both sides, like you said aliens have no commander, but then why would they all concentrate on one area? Of course it would happen evantually but then that's because they would have to stick together again in the first place. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aliens will concentrate on an area, particulary if it is a hive under attack. Simple, if they don't reinforce it, the hive will die (good for you), if they do reinforce it, they are vunerable elsewhere (good for you). Of course this must be applied correctly, such attacking the hive furthest from the actual hive you want to take (or nodes etc.)

For instance, if all 3 hives are underattack, and your an alien. What do you do? Finding the guy attacking the hive and then killing them at all 3 location takes time, which is very important. Say if only 1 guy attacks each hive, aliens won't know that. By the time they get to all 3 hives and clear them out. The rest of your marine squad could have cleared a big portion of the rest of the map.

A lot of people mention how Fades can come round a corner, fire a bunch of acid rockets, then hide again. Yes this is very effective if your walking as a group, since 60 damage (or part of ) to each player is extreme. This is why if one(or two) guys split off and flank the Fade, it will go down, since it will retreat right into those guys with no energy and low hp. If they did not break off from the group, the Fade will jsut keep coming back healed, and you'll die.

Note: I am not saying sticking together is bad. However, the thinking of "always" walking around together is not correct. Particularly if your losing. If your losing as marines for instance, even if you stick together, aliens will over power you, since you can't afford armor, hmgs, etc. for everyone. But you can use your weaknesses to your advantage, you know the aliens are gonna attack the few outposts you have left (1 in many cases), however you have mobility on your advantage. Aliens must defend 3 hives, and numerous nodes. They can't be everywhere at once. They either stop attacking your last stronghold (giving you some time to equip more troops) or they lose a hive, or something.
  • playermanplayerman Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7854Members
    "marines should stay together" does not mean "all marines must be in one and the same group".
    also counting whoever are staying at base, you'd have at least 2 or 3 groups.

then *how* close they should stay together depends on the situation. when defendeing an area, you'r better of not standing right next to each other.
    while on the move, staying close makes it easier to concentrate fire if something pops into view.
    with a group of 4 it may be better to make two pairs where one trails the other: makes the whole group less vulnerable to area effect weapons and when either pair runs into trouble, they have backup.
  • MrBatmanMrBatman Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7176Members
    Using the enemy's strategy against them is a good tactic. After the initial skulk rush, the skulks will take a few moments to respond. By that time the commander should have discovered which hive they are occupying. Send two marines to rush that hive and harass them, leave two behind to hold the base if any get past the two rushers, and send the rest to secure the hive farthest from the one the aliens spawned in. There is nothing more demoralizing as an alien as having marines with shotties already shooting at their hive in the first few minutes of the game.