Grueling 90 min docking match

NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
edited June 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Epic exhaustion.</div>It started out a alright map. Then kharaa took locker room third hive. After dispatching our Rez. We already pushed them out of tram, and onos bar. Had them on the brink of death a few times at generator but they pushed out. Came down to clearing locker room and building a forward base at ball room. They hit terminal and landing as a distraction which didn't work but at some point ninjaed locker back up with hella whip spamm. Fade vortex made a nasty appearance. Eventually a synced onos rush hitting our power with fade vortexes holding down our ISP. Locked us into terminal in the last five minutes of the game. Ball park was power less. Cafeteria was dealing with a ninja lerk half the game. And 90 minute match on the dot full server from about 45 min onwards. GG

Comments

• AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2012
    Honestly, to me, this sounds like an epic match. Naturally, stalemates are bad. But the best games I remember from NS1, were those that lasted long, with epic battles, waves of aliens attacking and often times marines fending them off with nail and tooth.

I can imagine that not everybody shares my passion for the long games, however.

Just take into account that the game is not yet feature complete and the balance is still a work in progress.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Long games only suck when it is clear who will win, but the winning team doesn't manage to clear everything fast enough. It can be really boring and usually the losing team members just quit.

But games like you described have always been the highlight of NS. Two good teams having hard fights, where every class is used, and, most important, does what it is meant for.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1946070:date=Jun 23 2012, 11:10 PM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Jun 23 2012, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946070"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly, to me, this sounds like an epic match. Naturally, stalemates are bad. But the best games I remember from NS1, were those that lasted long, with epic battles, waves of aliens attacking and often times marines fending them off with nail and tooth.

I can imagine that not everybody shares my passion for the long games, however.

Just take into account that the game is not yet feature complete and the balance is still a work in progress.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I played this particular game. It was filled with sentry spam, ARC spam, and the game only became bearable once the server was lagging enough to prevent marines from aiming properly (they already couldn't aim very well) and the sentries from targeting us quickly.

It was far from epic but i can understand it being inferred as being so if you were a newer player on the marine team and didn't understand how logjammed the gameflow had become. There was hardly any "aliens attacking and marines fending them off with nail and tooth". It was a spam/suicide fest stalemate (in the sense that the marines were incompetent at pushing and guarding ARCS) which mercifully started tipping in one direction after 30 minutes of phasegate locking with vortex. There was never any meaningful back and forth beyond aliens taking advantage of slow marines being afk in some irrelevant part of the map and marines simply steamrolling back through with sentry/jp/arc spam.

The reason why these 'epic' games are no fun is because players (especially those on the alien team) feel useless and helpless beyond their control for most of the game. There is no player empowerment, no tactical or strategic decision making, no player vs player, just a never ending supply of turrets, jps, and ARCs. Skulks, lerks, fades, onos are all severely handicapped or countered in one way or another by the former two.

*edit* Scores?
    Marine commander had something like 30 - 0.
    Most of the aliens on the team had 2 - 25 (most ended rage quitting as I did). Those who had 15-1 etc. were gorges. Guess what they were doing.
    I only barely managed to scrape something like 50-28 with all the lag and hit reg problems. I'm a ###### player so me having positive k/d says something about the incompetence of marines prolonging games by using sentry spam as a crutch, and calling them epic. I truly felt incredibly sorry for new players on the alien team having such an incredibly disgusting experience.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    edited June 2012
    not a clear view of the scores

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/90min.jpg/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/90min.jpg/</a>
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Most pubs are unbearably boring at the 20 minute mark.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Imo NS2 is too frantic for a 90 minute match, it would just be exhausting. NS1 was a bit slower paced and maps were bigger.
    It's was exhausting. Our comm was buggered. But he did bloody well.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I typed grooling but I pad auto corrected it. And can't edit the title.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1946078:date=Jun 23 2012, 06:55 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jun 23 2012, 06:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946078"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played this particular game. It was filled with sentry spam, ARC spam, and the game only became bearable once the server was lagging enough to prevent marines from aiming properly (they already couldn't aim very well) and the sentries from targeting us quickly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is my experience of long matches (60+ min) in NS2. While in principle NS2 matches could last long because of a well-fought back and forth between two well-matched teams, in practice its usually the result of spam + lag.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1946125:date=Jun 23 2012, 11:04 AM:name=NEX9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NEX9 @ Jun 23 2012, 11:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I typed grooling but I pad auto corrected it. And can't edit the title.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, gotcha. FYI its grueling, not grooling...thats why iPad changed it.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Long games are epic when they are back and forth the entire time, with the game always being on the verge of being decided by one team or another. They're not fun at all when they become stagnant and both teams are just too heavily turtled for either to make any progress.
  • Yak9UTYak9UT Join Date: 2010-06-18 Member: 72086Members
    I was the Marine Commander this game I really only started turret spamming at around 60 minutes as alot of marines on my team didn't have res for any decent weapons, the game was at a point where we needed to build up forward bases in order to keep ground from aliens partically when they rolled in with Onos and Fades.

The game was quite hectic for the most part having to manage everything the aliens really got the slip on us when a ninja lurk destroyed the advance armoury and proto-lab at main base and when the aliens made a forward base at locker room where they could assault from our rear flank locker room base.

For those who played till the end it was an awesome game alot of those who joined mid game proberly weren't fond of it but it was alot of the map had been secured with sentries and whips making the game fairly laggy.

In all I had a great time playing.

It was a epic game

My end score was 45-2 at the end of it
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Nothing is as refreshing as a 10-15 minute round after something like that.

<!--quoteo(post=1946078:date=Jun 23 2012, 11:55 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jun 23 2012, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1946078"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a ###### player<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol'd
    To be honest I didn't feel any turret spam or laggyness. You had five sentrys ball court. 5-6 onos bar. 3 watching onos bar side of cafeteria. And I didn't see how many we're in terminal.

But holy heck the whip spam. I reported they were trying to take locker room back. Next thing I walk in there and there is like 20 whips. The second major push the back way into generator was just bottle necked with them. Whips every two feet down that entire corridor.