Make cyst cost more if they are placed in powerd rooms.

Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
Hi, as title really :)

If cysts cost more when placed in a teritory that has power, and cost less in areas which dont have power, then aliens would be able to cyst their own hive easily, whilst not being able to easily cyst spam into marine start for a prolonged period.

It would also create more of a purpose for skulks to attack power nodes, which are more often that not left.

Best regards,
Hunter

Comments

• Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    Or you could limit the growth of cysts in powerd rooms in other ways, perhaps by limiting the number that can be placed in any powerd room to a certain number (no affect on cysts that are alrleady built before the room is powerd).
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    @2nd statement: How do you intuitively tell the player why they can't build more cysts?

I rather like the first statement, but again, how do you tell the player this? I think it would just confuse the Khamm as to why their energy was drastically drained - they probably wouldn't even notice that it was for placing cysts in a room.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    How about cysts get slowly damaged in rooms with power?

Alien comm could still cyst into powered room...but skulks would have to take down power to keep the room built up?
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    How about cysts cost the same everywhere, and they get damaged when you attack them?
    Is that okay?
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is that okay?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HI, thanks for asking - no, its not. Cyst spam is over powerd, it causes lag, its not an enjoyable way to win a match, and its not an enjoyable way to loose a match. The general consensus amoungst players is that "something" must be done, hence we have suggestions abot what that something might be.

TO be honest internet explorer, your post is utterly unhelpful to anyone, i cant think why you made it, or what your point is, other than to try and annoy other users posting in the thread.

e2a: althought looking over your posts on the forums, i guess this is exactly what should be expected of you, as you seem to be derisivie of any suggestions that come from the commuinity, unless that are one of the hundreds of suggestions youve made.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I like this suggestion, although you really only see cyst spam at the very end of the game when the khammander has three hives and near-limitless energy to spam cysts. So I don't think raising the energy cost would really solve this problem - and frankly, at that point, the game <i>should</i> be ending.
    Yah i know what you mean there cee, i would be opposed to any system which meant that aliens couldn't still spam at 3 hives.

However, it really does become an issue when trying the cheeky early relocate, say with aliens in ore extraction, and marines attempting a crushing relocate.

If cysts cost more to spam into the crushing relocate, the alien commander could try it, but it would seriously reduce his ability to cap resources and spread over the map, and he would be forced eventually to cease his cyst spamming due to lack of res, or due wanting greater map control.

As it is, i just tried a crushing relocate, the alien commander spammed cysts non stop until marines had grenade launchers, then he only spammed during alien attacks.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    As I understand it, energy (the main problem with cyst spam) is being removed in b210. This means cyst cost will have to be reevaluated after they've been put on tres again. I think it'd be prudent to hold off on putting much thought into how cysts should be changed until we see how they are going to be in b210.
    Ahhh, i see, that would solve all my issues with it :) Thanks for chimin in with the info gorge :)
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1942590:date=Jun 10 2012, 01:56 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jun 10 2012, 01:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I understand it, energy (the main problem with cyst spam) is being removed in b210. This means cyst cost will have to be reevaluated after they've been put on tres again. I think it'd be prudent to hold off on putting much thought into how cysts should be changed until we see how they are going to be in b210.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank gawd. I always found it frustrating to not know how much energy I had at my disposal.
    I wonder if this means "abilities" like observatory-scan and nutrient-mist will cost Tres to use?
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1942601:date=Jun 10 2012, 04:07 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jun 10 2012, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1942601"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank gawd. I always found it frustrating to not know how much energy I had at my disposal.
    I wonder if this means "abilities" like observatory-scan and nutrient-mist will cost Tres to use?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, exactly. Tres production will double (1 per rt per 4s, current is 8s). I believe medpacks and ammo will be on tres. So the marine comm has to choose between spamming medpacks for a push or saving for tech. The better his team does will require fewer medpacks, ie teching faster. Aliens will be the same way. The better the team performs at protecting cysts means the aliens can tech quicker. And later in the game, the khamm will have to choose between spamming cysts or building more stuff (whips, crags, etc). In b209, the khamm is just like "lol I have 300 energy, inc cysts" because energy has no real use aside from cysts.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    Cysts can cost more in powered rooms when power nodes cost 15 team res to install and 10 team res each time it needs to be replace after being destroyed.

Sounds fair?
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about an ability given to the marine comm to overload powernodes in a room. This would electrify the floor, and burn some life off the cysts in the room?