ns2_yakushima

Comments

• weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Saw your map today, Sentinel - it's by far the most beautiful I've ever seen! The creativity, artwork and attention to detail is just mindblowing, GJ! And keep it up!
    Have only barely tried the gameplay side of it though, which can easily be improved later on...
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    Get freezes up to 15 seconds very often on your map.....
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I invested a lot of time into small details. That makes the map unique, but at the same time very stressful for any CPU. That got worth since NS2 has shifted more stuff to the CPU and added new effects. I reduced lightning and perfected the occlusion geometry as well limited the draw lines of each room. The only thing left to make the map run faster is to make the rooms smaller and/or reduce the total amount of props used in the map and choose only a few props for use instead of a wide range. But that would criple the map too much. Anyways, before build 1.0, I am not willing to change the map drastically. I still hope the performance will increase to a level where my old PC can handle the map. If that is not the case, I will have to change the map. Until then, please be patient.

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><u>Patchnotes 1.003</u><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

This is my last patch for Build 216

- Fixed some grey textures and textures that weren't displayed correctly
    - I readded two props to the map that just vanished
    - Added collision geometry to the ladder next to the trash container in hangar, you can now use it (the standard prop won't allow that)
    - Added some more trim textures.
    - Fixed some collision geometry not being in the related group anymore (maybe i grew old or Sparks is eating away "faces" and group belongings as soon as i turn the view)
    - Tweaked two ladders in Reactor/Cooling area for better handling, made one ladder longer so you won't get stuck on top of a pipe

I noticed that not only some ReadyRoom effects aren't working anymore, but also the laser sight from the Mech and the dust effects around it ain't working. Even if the laser sight is removed from the game, I hope that those effects will still be useable. I miss that laser_sight.cinematic and dust_motes.cinematic, they made the room look more alive.

Btw, have you found the secret room yet? It is a placeholder till I get custom stuff into the map though :P
    edited September 2012
    <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><u>Patchnotes 1.004</u><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

- I updated the minimap with the new yellowish vents

- Added rear lights to the construction truck in Excavation

- Removed faces that were left inside the map for editing and that became unimportant

- Changed the size of the Laboratorium "elevator" ladder for better use

- Laser sight of the Mech is displayed again

- Changed the airlock blue lights density. Doesn't look that awesome right now, but it won't block the commander view anymore

Have fun with the map, build 217 made it run almost fluently. So give it a second try ;)
    I can't play the game due to technical problems since 216, so I have no Idea how the Exo will behave in the map -> as soon as I can play again I will think of adjusting the level design to the changes. Your feedback is welcome as always!

I would also like to add custom sounds to the map, so if someone is feeling generously, can you teach me how this works? If I create custom sounds with fmod, they aren't played in ns2 O_o

Known problem: The console is starting spamming .dds format errors caused by some props (stalags and rocks etc.) resulting in microlags. That is a newer problem and I hope new builds will fix that for me. I don't know what it means. Maybe I stretched some props too much, but I doubt that is the villain.
    <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><u>Patchnotes 1.005</u><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

A small patch related to the Exo:

- Blocked the alternative Laboratorium entrance. Since the elevator is not working yet it would be a deathtrap, cause I don't plan to make the door bigger.

- Tweaked the collision geometry to prevent getting stuck at some V-shaped spots

- Added more trim textures, but there is still so much to polish.

I expected the Exo to be able to duck and pass every corridor the Onos would pass, but since that beast is too big, it can't take several alternative routs. I planned them small enough so that the Onos can pass but has to duck and slow down. That should force the Onos to take the main routes and give small rine groups a better chance for a sneaky tactic. Since I can't slow down the Exo with the same trick and since the Exo has unlimited ammo (wtf) and other supreme features I am not sad that it can't take every route. What do you think about that? Should I rework the smaller corridors so the Exo can pass (but the Onos can run in them again) or don't you mind having the Exo to be stuck with the main routes?

I will try to add more details to the geometry again in the future since the map is running better in 218. That are all my thoughts right now :D
    <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><u>Patchnotes 1.006</u><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Again a smaller patch:

- I fixed some faces of a rock near the AS that weren't displayed.

- The doors next to the TestLab room were too big and standing into the Lab, now they are placed correct.

- Fixed some light values that caused a black stripe on the screen.

If you have played the map, please feel free to post your ideas concerning balance and map design. If I don't get feedback, the map will never change. Then I will just pretend that it is perfect :P

hf
    Don't worry, I am still working on the map. But right now I have to fight some nasty crashes in my work-version of the map. Starting the level way before the release was fun, but now the map has to take some beatings from the new builds. But I still hope I can fix a lot soon. Maybe you can help. What could the error messages mean? dds is the texture format, right? And material is how the textures will sound etc. when you walk over it or shoot it? The error codes are really a book with seven seals for me right now. How can a texture lead to arrors and crashes?! ^_^'
    And what is 'emissiveMap' and 'normalMap'?

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>
    Build 236:
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'emissiveMap' in material 'materials/effects/distort.material'
    Error: No value was supplied for field 'normalMap' in material 'materials/refinery/refinery_decals_arrows_01.material'
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_yakushimawork2.level
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_yakushimawork2.level'
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/infestation/infestation_decal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_elevator1_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_gantryarm_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/.material'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_lavatrench_01_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_tram_car_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/mining_sorting_machine_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/mining_drilltower_top_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/mining_drilltower_bottom_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_gantrybeam_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_door_bighuge_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/docking/docking_fuelcar_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_smeltingpot_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/summit/summit_reactor_tower_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_door_regular_01_clean_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/phase_gate/phase_gate_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/robotics_factory/robotics_factory_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/prototype_lab/prototype_lab_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/infantry_portal/infantry_portal_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/shell/shell.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/shell/shell_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/shell/shell_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/shell/shell_illum.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/crag/crag_illum.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/veil/veil.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/veil/veil_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/veil/veil_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/veil/veil_illum.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/spur/spur.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/spur/spur_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/spur/spur_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/spur/spur_illum.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/spur/spur_opac2.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/hands/hands.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/hands/hands_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/hands/hands_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/welder/welder_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/welder/welder_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/welder/welder_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/male/male_special_v1.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/male/male_special_v1_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/male/male_special_v1_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/male/male_special_v1_illum.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_illum.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 1823680 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/minigun_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/minigun_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/minigun_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/effects/mesh_effects/fire_tile_01.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_view_illum.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_view_lightmap.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/claw_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/claw_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/claw_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/railgun_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/railgun_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/exosuit/railgun_view_spec.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 1842960 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 1755280 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 1897600 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/gorge/gorge_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/gorge/gorge_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/gorge/gorge_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/lerk/lerk_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/lerk/lerk_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/lerk/lerk_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/fade/fade.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/fade/fade_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/fade/fade_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/fade/fade_illum.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/fade/fade_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/fade/fade_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/fade/fade_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/onos/onos_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/onos/onos_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/onos/onos_view_spec.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 1750400 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/pistol/pistol_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/pistol/pistol_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/pistol/pistol_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/pistol/pistol_view_illum.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 1068400 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/shotgun/shotgun_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/shotgun/shotgun_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/shotgun/shotgun_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/shotgun/shotgun_view_illum.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 1249280 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/axe/axe_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/axe/axe_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/axe/axe_view_spec.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 818480 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/grenadelauncher/grenade_launcher_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/grenadelauncher/grenade_launcher_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/grenadelauncher/grenade_launcher_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/grenadelauncher/grenade_launcher_view_illum.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 1680240 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/flamethrower/flamethrower_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/flamethrower/flamethrower_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/flamethrower/flamethrower_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/flamethrower/flamethrower_view_illum.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 1418400 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/mine/mine_view.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/mine/mine_view_normal.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/mine/mine_view_spec.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/mine/mine_view_illum.dds'
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 981360 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 881120 bytes failed (Ran out of memory)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_shipping_hologram.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_frags_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_xplo_pic_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_water_glow_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_heavy_smk_loop_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_enzymeloop_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_lite_smkloop_02_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_neuron_02_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_neuron_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_lerk_spore_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_fireball_03_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_impact_sand_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_impact_smoke_02_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_sparks_02_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_fireball_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_impact_smoke_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_sparks_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_organic_hit_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_fireball_02_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_water_spray_02_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_lite_smkloop_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_acid_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_organic_hit_02_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_organic_glow_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_nano_square_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_heavy_dust_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_lite_smk_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/effects/electric_arc_anim.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_fire_loop_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_enzyme_firework_01_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/effects/electric_arc_anim2.dds'
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_fire_heavy_loop_animated.dds'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/alien/gorge/babbler_pheromone.cinematic'
    Error: Couldn't load 'ui/inventory_icons.dds'
    D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\memory(211,31): ID3DXEffectCompiler::CompileEffect: There was an error compiling expression
    ID3DXEffectCompiler: Compilation failed

Error: Invalid format for resource 'shaders/hivevision.fx'
    D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\memory(48,25): ID3DXEffectCompiler::CompileEffect: There was an error compiling expression

D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\memory(185,31): ID3DXEffectCompiler::CompileEffect: There was an error compiling expression

Error: Invalid format for resource 'shaders/equipmentoutline.fx'
    D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\memory(48,25): ID3DXEffectCompiler::CompileEffect: There was an error compiling expression

-----------------------------

Build 237:

------------------------------
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_yakushimawork2.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/.material'
    Error: Couldn't load 'ui/unitstatus_alien.dds'
    system crash!
    system crash!
    system crash!
    system crash!
    system crash!
    system crash!
    system crash!
    system crash!
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 237
    Error: Couldn't load 'ui/menu/server_select_bg.dds'
    </div>

:P
  • trentluvtrentluv Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73126Members
    Played this last night and loved it
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How's the map updates going! 236 had nasty crash bugs, hope they didn't permanently render your work useless :(
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its a cool looking map, will try it out after downloading it from the workshop.
    I am afraid, but I think the map is still instable. A lot got changed since the beta days and I am no pro in solving the new problems. Technically it should work fine, but it is still causing crashes. Also there seems to be no server running the map and the editor is not in a good shape as well. If the next builds will run stable on my old PC, I might start to invest more time into ns2 again.

I hope this big map will become more popular if the Marine vs Marine Mod is working and performance improvements will allow more people to play it. It is my first map for ns2 and I still like it. It might not be able to compete with other maps, but it would be awesome to see it have a second chance in the future. Maybe an UWE mapper could give me a hint of what is going wrong some day.
    I was trying to load the map right now and ns2 crashed as I was joining a team (error allocating bytes, shouldn't be a problem of the current build and not the map), but I was thinking - I erased all props that were changed or renamed by uwe during the development. The same goes for effects/cinematics. And there are still material errors. Could it be a texture that is causing problems? I never checked them because I thought that none got removed or renamed, only added. But textures use material files as well...

Is there a way to check the map for corrupted textures? I have the feeling that such textures would be displayed as "invisible". There would be no way to find them if they aren't causing big wholes in the geometry. At least I haven't found a missing part in the map. I am clueless ;)
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I wish I could help ya, its a really cool map that just needs some tweaking. Hopefully someone could come along and help you out.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's due to your map being too big or something. You can see if it doesn't load something or an error by opwning up the output window.
    But the map was fine for around 30 builds at least during the beta. How can it become too big if I didn't change it for a long time?

Do you mean the console by output window?
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I wish there was some very good tutorials and troubleshooting for this... I'm sorry I can't help Sent, it always frustrates me to see someone who is asking for help but gets no response, especially when you have dedicated a lot of time into adding an addition to the game just because...
    Motivated by the comments, I loaded up my wip_yakushima and found some new missing props (prop_static), like the black armor marine model I used outside the MS on the landing pad and some alien stuff in the lab. I replaced them with standard models. The rest seemed to be fine and I loaded the map. The overall fps increased a lot, I get 99-135 fps around pipe for example. But the game crashed after a few minutes. Might be the map, might be the 32-bit crash.

There are a lot of new error messages concerning shaders, materials, models and lights etc. in the logs. I don't know which is "normal" for the current ns2 build - like the missing female marine sounds message and what might be caused by the map. Interpreting the log and log-editor.txt got more and more complicated after the big updates. Maybe someone with more informations can interprete them:

The log-editor was around 6mb! There are messages that are spammed over and over again ad absurdum:
    Couldn't load cached compiled shader

Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/male/male_black.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/marine/male/male_black.material'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/male/male_black_face.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/marine/male/male_black_face.material'

Error: Shader is missing technique for rendering a light

The log file had new stuff about failed compiling and material files, I picked a few as example:
    [...]
    Compiling 'shaders/GUIBasic.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/2em_1mask_1norm_scroll_refract_tint.surface_shader'
    Error: internal error: compilation aborted unexpectedly
    float2 imagePlaneSize;
    float2 rcpFrame;
    float4 rcpFrameOpt;
    float2 texelCenter;
    float nearPlane;
    float farPlane;
    float4x4 cameraToScreenMatrix;
    float4x4 cameraToWorldMatrix;
    float4x4 worldToScreenMatrix;
    float4x4 worldToCameraMatrix;
    float3 wsCameraOrigin;
    float time;
    sampler2D randomNormalTexture : register(s0);
    struct VS_DeferredPass_Input {
    float3 osPosition : POSITION;
    float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD0;
    };
    struct VS_DeferredPass_Output {
    float3 projected : TEXCOORD0;
    float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD1;
    float4 ssPosition : SV_POSITION;
    };
    struct PS_DeferredPass_Input {
    float3 projected : TEXCOORD0;
    float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD1;
    };
    sampler2D depthTexture : register(s4);
    sampler2D lightGoboTexture : register(s1);
    sampler2D shadowMap1 : register(s2);
    sampler2D shadowMap2 : register(s3);
    float4x4 viewToGoboMatrix;
    float4x4 viewToLightMatrix;
    float4 vsLightPosition;
    float4 vsLightDirection;
    float innerCone;
    float outerCone;
    float invConeDifference;
    float invLightRadius;
    float4 lightColor;
    float4 alvColorRight;
    float4 alvColorLeft;
    float4 alvColorUp;
    float4 alvColorDown;
    float4 alvColorForward;
    float4 alvColorBackward;
    float4x4 viewToShadowMatrix;
    float4 shadowNoiseScale;
    float shadowFade;
    [...]

Yeah, after learning everything by try and error + community guides you are happy that the map works as intended. But if a new build brakes stuff you are screwed without insider knowledge. Troubleshooting tools and log file interpretation guides would be awesome. If you make working and fixing with the editor more understandable, it will lead to more custom community content and the attractivity of Sparks for other game developers will rise. I am talking about money for ns2 and less grey hairs ;)
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well I just tried running this on a listen server using the workshop version. The only problem I had was that the CC in command didn't spawn an ip. Otherwise a few errors related to missing materials that haven't broken anything and as far as I saw didn't affect the level.
    Thanks for checking! Did you run around for a few minutes with 'cheats 1'? Sometimes problems are very local.

I get the IP problem as well. Tried to fix it by adding an IP as I did with honorguard. It worked in a way. The IP was there and fuctioning, but it created a few faces that were running from a random hallway across the map to the middle of the IP and beyond it. It was solid and textured but not visible in the editor. Only ingame. I deleted the IP (did nothing else) and the faces disappeared. I guess I am getting haunted ;)

I started the map again and ran towards MS exit, then I crashed with "Failed to allocate 43904056 bytes and will now terminate" after 6 secs. I can't test the map like this, but I know from a server hoster that the map tends to crash :( The failed allocate crash appears very frequently and with the same amount of bytes. Might be always the same with yakushima. I thought that the byte amount was just random before on official maps.

Maybe I should finally make the jump to the new publishing system and update the map at least with a fixed IP, some tweaks and custom textures. But if no server can run it and with the strange "ghost faces" bug, it is kinda pointless right now. Guess I have to wait for some fixes :( Now that I have the ambition to work on it again...
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I ran around for 3-4 minutes as both marine and alien. Didn't see any errors coming up in console or a crash like you describe. When I get a chance I'll take another look and see if I can find what the problem is.

I remember some time ago there being some issue with extra faces, but that was back in beta for me and I can't even remember what caused it or what fixed it. Again, when I get the time I'll take a look.
    I loaded up honorguard and ran around as skulk (cheats 1) for like 15mins. Nothing happend. Everything ok. Then I switched to gorge and built two tunnels. That led to some errors:

Date: 09/22/13
    Time: 19:48:16:
    Build 257
    [...normal stuff...]
    Compiling 'shaders/Decal.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/pulse_gre_elec.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/lavafall.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/lavapool.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'models/props/docking/docking_shower_fx_01.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'models/props/docking/docking_shower_fx_puddle.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'models/props/refinery/docking_generator_01.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'models/props/refinery/docking_generator_01_anim.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'models/marine/prototype_lab/prototype_lab_screen.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'models/alien/alien_alpha.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'models/alien/cyst/cyst.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/MarinePatch.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/ExoView.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/refract_emissive_normal.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/refract_normal.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/Emissive_glow.surface_shader'
    Client connected (127.0.0.1)
    Compiling 'shaders/GUISmoke.surface_shader'
    Setting team 1 team location: Transport
    Setting team 2 team location: Reactor
    Server changed cheats to 1
    Server changed cheats to 1

joined aliens, ran around 15 mins
    Compiling 'shaders/GUISmokeHUD.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/GUIWavyNoMask.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/2em_1mask_1norm_scroll_refract_tint.surface_shader'
    switched to gorge and built tunnels
    Cooked mesh with 4 faces, 4 vertices
    Cooked mesh with 16 faces, 10 vertices
    Cooked mesh with 16 faces, 10 vertices
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 257
    Client disconnected (127.0.0.1) Quit
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'EntityWrapper' (752 bytes)
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'ServerWorld' (752 bytes)
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'ServerGame' (752 bytes)
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading config://HistoryServers.json
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_emissive.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'materials/biodome/biodome_glass.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Level.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_emissive_alpha.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/water_refract.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'shaders/Level_alpha.surface_shader'
    Cooked mesh with 4794 faces, 3566 vertices
    Compiling 'shaders/Model_alpha.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/2em_scroll_vtxcolor.surface_shader'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'D:/build/assets/materialsrc/biodome/biodome_glass_01.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'D:/build/assets/materialsrc/biodome/biodome_glass_01.material'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/2em_1norm_scroll_distort_vtxcolor.surface_shader'
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 257
    Cooked mesh with 4794 faces, 3566 vertices
    Compiling 'shaders/Emissive.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'cinematics/vfx_materials/Emissive_glow.surface_shader'
    Compiling 'models/alien/alien.surface_shader'
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'Client' (752 bytes)
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'Engine' (752 bytes)

-Cory said that (Couldn't load cached compiled shader) should happen only once because of changed build#, but it happens everytime I load a map.
    -Cooked mesh with 4 faces, 4 vertices that is new to me. Is this normal if you build sth ingame?
    -Thats the 32bit bug? ->
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'EntityWrapper' (752 bytes)
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'ServerWorld' (752 bytes)
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'ServerGame' (752 bytes)

Error: 4 memory leaks in 'Client' (752 bytes)
    Error: 4 memory leaks in 'Engine' (752 bytes)

Soooo, honorguard is running normal with "normal" error messages and yakushima crashes with "allocate bytes" bug after a few seconds? I used more props in yakushima and the map is bigger. Might be a reason, but all this error stuff is confusing. I whish the Devs would clarify some things or add more editor tools like the "hole in geometry" searcher (never found anything with it, dunno if it actually works) - so interpreting what is wrong would be comprehensible ;)
    edited September 2013
    Hope you get some answers. Is there any good map maker tutorials out there, I'd like to look into this myself.
    I loaded up honorguard and ran around as skulk (cheats 1) for like 15mins. Nothing happend. Everything ok. Then I switched to gorge and built two tunnels. That led to some errors...

Soooo, honorguard is running normal with "normal" error messages and yakushima crashes with "allocate bytes" bug after a few seconds? I used more props in yakushima and the map is bigger. Might be a reason, but all this error stuff is confusing. I whish the Devs would clarify some things or add more editor tools like the "hole in geometry" searcher (never found anything with it, dunno if it actually works) - so interpreting what is wrong would be comprehensible ;)

Did you ever figure out the answer to your questions?
    Not yet. But I hope that build 258 will fix several problems ingame and with the editor. I will have to wait until then before I can test the map longer.
    I released an update today. My first after a long time. I tested the map thoroughly and there appears to be no crash or problem in Build 258 (after I repaired what countless builds did to my poor map!). Sorry for the long wait, but with new aquired skills, I added some custom goodies to the map to spice up the japanese theme of the map.

Patchnotes 1.007

- Repaired mutilated walls (thanks for adding new stuff to the builds, never makes it boring to repair a map), fixed removed or renamed props by uwe, reworked the
    props/navigation mesh (introduction of pathing include and pathing walkable made two pathes in the map unusable; took me a while to find the problem).

- Added chicken ladders for an Onos to two "traps" in the map (wasn't necessary with hypermutation)

- Added new powerpoints to the map and improved the location placement (the map was originally designed for power pack use)

- Added two new ambient sounds (radios, mech) and two custom textures (name of the stationed unit with coat of arms and a danger, living Kharaa - sign)

- Improved the command view slightly

- Added smooth edges to the map

- Fixed the MS outside area because some marine models got removed. That means more standard rines, no black armor leader...

- Added a few low damage over time areas to the map (fire, electricity, 2ndary reactors) for atmosphere and a few DOT-areas at the Reactor Room ground. You still
    die if you hit the ground (had to do that because Exos are imune to DOT), but you will get more "warning" damage the deeper you get.

- Beta Access Power Node took damage from the hive infestation from the alien start -> moved it to another wall, since that can't be fixed

- Exos can now pass the Laboratorium 2ndary entrance door coming from Hangar. They can also jumpjet up the elevator -> no more exo trap

- Fixed the starting IP problem

Please let me know if you find some problems or if the workshop makes trouble. Thanks in advance!

Oh, short but silly question: How do you change the workshop preview picture? I added a preview.jpg and a front_mod.jpg to the output directory, but it changed nothing and I can't find a way to change it in the workshop manually... ^_^`
    Can you start the map? I get some missing server lua errors?!
    Loading 'maps/ns2_yakushima.level'
    Cooked mesh with 42819 faces, 46868 vertices
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_yakushima.level'
    Server sent connecting packet, 166 bytes
    Downloading mods
    [Client] Script Error #1: File not found: lua/ModLoading.lua
    Call stack:
    Finished downloading and installing mods
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/Sentinel/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m7404cfb_1361369010/
    Mounting mod from C:/Users/Sentinel/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m4d13e8a_1382266212/
    [Client] Script Error #1: File not found: lua/ModClient.lua
    Call stack:
    [Predict] Script Error #1: File not found: lua/ModPredict.lua
    Call stack:
    I just noticed that I can't load maps in general. Even the official maps just fabricate the above error messages. All started right after I published the new Yakushima version. Any idea how to fix this?