Spectrum Crunch

AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Running out of frequencies for wireless transmission</div>It sounds like a videogame, but no:
<a href="http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/spectrum-crunch" target="_blank">http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/spectrum-crunch</a>
I certainly hadn't heard of it before.

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    edited June 2012
    "You have to click on an ad. You have to." ###### that ######.

Edit: Gave up half a minute in. Note to whoever pays attention: If your essentially-just-narration-with-a-slideshow-video is so long that you need to speed everyone up to helium-voice-speed to fit within whatever length/bandwidth is allotted to you, maybe just write down. Much lower bandwidth requirement.

Anyone got a link to a similar article or something?
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Yeah... I stopped watching extra credits a while back. They say a lot without actually saying a lot, but dress it up in comfortable generalisations and profound wording. Bleh.

--Scythe--
  • jeffreymcfincze512jeffreymcfincze512 Join Date: 2012-06-06 Member: 152980Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941408:date=Jun 4 2012, 06:35 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jun 4 2012, 06:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"You have to click on an ad. You have to." ###### that ######.

Edit: Gave up half a minute in. Note to whoever pays attention: If your essentially-just-narration-with-a-slideshow-video is so long that you need to speed everyone up to helium-voice-speed to fit within whatever length/bandwidth is allotted to you, maybe just write down. Much lower bandwidth requirement.

Anyone got a link to a similar article or something?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i agree the link is to long.....
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The TL;DR version is essentially the topic's description (under the title), so...
    edited June 2012
    So I decided to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_allocation#Data_crunch" target="_blank">read up</a> on the issue so we can have some discussion. But I don't see any readily apparent topic for discussion.

Our electromagnetic spectrum is a limited natural resource. Okay sure. But it's not one that we can permanently damage or use up. In the absolute worst case scenario we fill out the spectrum and no further growth can happen. That's bad, but not as bad as, say, sucking our top soil dry or polluting every source of drinking water available to us. I'm just not particularly worried about this I guess.

Edit:
    And another reason why this doesn't bother me: You can't rusthlessly exploit the electromagnetic spectrum for shortsighted profit and ###### future generations who cares about them. There is actually a short-term economic incentive for dealing with the problem. So it will be dealt with.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Also even if anyone used up all the spectrum, it should be entirely possible to just build a bigger transmitter and drown out everyone else.
    Just like you can drown out your neighbour's too loud music by installing speakers the size of minivans in your sound system. Don't expect sympathy when people break in while you're away and smash them to cinders though.