5 minute onos rush >_>

WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">with hypermutation</div>so, the khamm can evolve a free lifeform egg early on (lerk usually) and a player can get into the egg, evolve hypermutation, and devolve into a skulk, receiving free 30 res. this means that even before fades usually come out, onos are available. can we please take another look at hypermutation? current implementation has a lot of bad side effects.

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2012
    Most of the only useful attributes of hypermutation are considered psudo-exploits. It definitely needs some work..

Couldn't you technically get much faster than 5min as well? like, within minutes of game start via switching out comms and making multiple gorge/lerk eggs and coordinating which person grabs the res?

You could get fade/onos before marines even expand their 3rd RT or have a chance to build an armslab. lol.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeah true, i guess 2-3 minutes if you have a large team and make a bunch of gorge eggs. not sure what the timing on hypermutation research is.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Could be a valid all-in strategy if it make the alien team use all its pres (so early onos but nothing else for 15min) and if marines can survive the early onos somehow.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    wow, why haven't I thought of this??!!!
    no seriously, in a 6v6 4 players could give the other 2 players 4x30 res
    that's 60 + 25 + some time = BAM 2 onos around first arms upg

new competitive strat? gotta try it out tonight YOU PRO TEAMS !!!!!!!!!!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1941261:date=Jun 3 2012, 12:22 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Jun 3 2012, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could be a valid all-in strategy if it make the alien team use all its pres (so early onos but nothing else for 15min) and if marines can survive the early onos somehow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it's too powerful. onos are ridonculously strong vs unupgraded marines. in a 6v6 you could immediately go onos since (assuming ~10s per gorge evolve/hypermutate devolve cycle), you could have 3 people contribute 20/20/10 res in gorge eggs and you'd pop out ~1 minute into the game. then the remaining 2 non-contributors would have 30 res each, have them give lerk eggs to the guy who only gave 10, which gives him enough for a 2nd onos. 2 onos in less than 2 minutes. you'd have 2 onos, 2 people with enough res to go gorge, and 2 skulks. all with only expending enough res on the alien side to research hypermutation, which would leave enough for stomp.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1941269:date=Jun 3 2012, 07:23 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Jun 3 2012, 07:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's too powerful. onos are ridonculously strong vs unupgraded marines. in a 6v6 you could immediately go onos since (assuming ~10s per gorge evolve/hypermutate devolve cycle), you could have 3 people contribute 20/20/10 res in gorge eggs and you'd pop out ~1 minute into the game. then the remaining 2 non-contributors would have 30 res each, have them give lerk eggs to the guy who only gave 10, which gives him enough for a 2nd onos. 2 onos in less than 2 minutes. you'd have 2 onos, 2 people with enough res to go gorge, and 2 skulks. all with only expending enough res on the alien side to research hypermutation, which would leave enough for stomp.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wheeee
  • Forever_rustyForever_rusty Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151314Members
    exertus got a quick onos vs us and it wasn't that great, I dont think they got the fastest onos possible tho
  • mikeditkamikeditka Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149764Members, NS2 Map Tester
    it did effect you guys though...it allowed them to gain map control a little faster than they be able to achieve.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited June 2012
    aside from the exploits, the upgrade is too complex and every time it's asked it needs to be explained in detail. "what's carapace?" "gives armor" "what's celerity?" "gives speed boost outside combat" "what's hyper mutation?" "when you evolve into this life form and then evolve back to a skulk or a lifeform that costs less resources then blah blah blah"

keep upgrades consistently simple imo.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    Looks like a fun strat to me, wouldn't want to take it out on knee jerk without giving it time. Early onos is weaker without stomp and stomp before leap/blink is a big gamble if your onos goes down. If this does get over-used it might be better to reduce the abundance of com pres instead. Maybe cysts cost pres? Then at least it would hurt the economy.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1941336:date=Jun 4 2012, 03:51 AM:name=Forever_rusty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Forever_rusty @ Jun 4 2012, 03:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->exertus got a quick onos vs us and it wasn't that great, I dont think they got the fastest onos possible tho<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We were slow with it. It could be done in maybe 3min 30 sec, optimally. We did gain some map control, but failed to really capitalize on it, as we left your sub and vent RTs up for at least extra 2 minutes. The biggest problem with the hypermutation gimmick is that you don't get cara/regen. Even though we have played regen fades a lot, it still was somewhat difficult to be really effective with the shift hive fades. This and your good pressure slowed us down, so 2nd hive came a bit late -> you had good time to upgrade, and our initial hypermutation exploit wasn't fully succesful. Then again, the main purpose of it was to show that exploit in live stream and hopefully get it fixed ;)

Oh, and thanks for the games again. GGs WPs ;)

EDIT: The hypermutation gimmick does have to be planned and explained before the game and then, during the game, the whole team has to coordinate well for the PRes transactions. We had all our guys pull back and then the egg-recipient would kill himself. This takes some arranging and means we can't risk dying for a while. We did this 3 times during the round. IIRC the plan was to hypermutate onos and fade and get another fade and a lerk with normal res gain. This was a fairly conservative build, as there is the possiblity of 3 celerity onoses at the powernode / CC in 4-5mins.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1941338:date=Jun 3 2012, 06:15 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Jun 3 2012, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->aside from the exploits, the upgrade is too complex and every time it's asked it needs to be explained in detail. "what's carapace?" "gives armor" "what's celerity?" "gives speed boost outside combat" "what's hyper mutation?" "when you evolve into this life form and then evolve back to a skulk or a lifeform that costs less resources then blah blah blah"

keep upgrades consistently simple imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No opinion on hyper mutation, but just responding to your point here, i dont think its that big of a deal considering:
    The "Save money to upgrade" part is the "easy to learn" and
    The "Exploit/coordinate with team/ use other than intended" part is the "difficult to master"

I.e. not all depths of the game need to be explained or easy to understand, just the basics. I think there's some enjoyment in figuring out how many bites it takes to skulk a marine vs how many with parasite first etc etc.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1941369:date=Jun 4 2012, 02:31 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jun 4 2012, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No opinion on hyper mutation, but just responding to your point here, i dont think its that big of a deal considering:
    The "Save money to upgrade" part is the "easy to learn" and
    The "Exploit/coordinate with team/ use other than intended" part is the "difficult to master"

I.e. not all depths of the game need to be explained or easy to understand, just the basics. I think there's some enjoyment in figuring out how many bites it takes to skulk a marine vs how many with parasite first etc etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sorry Ironhorse, I think DJPenguin is right on this one. The key note is: ,,Keep upgrades consistent and simple".

Complexity or inaccessibility actually has no connection to depth. Hypermutation actually adds no depth to the game, things that are not obvious do not necessary add any depth to the gameplay. That includes information gathering. Depth is connected to how much the game can develop after the players already all the facts, its what keeps the gameplay interesting even after years of playing.

With that in consideration I don't think I need to point anything else out.

On topic:
    I'm sure that it was not intended for the hypermutation to allow lifeforms that early, I'm sure that will be fixed next patch. It feels like an exploit.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yeah, this is clearly an exploit. 3:30 onos? Probably 1:30 fade? It's pretty silly.
  • BaTsBaTs Join Date: 2012-04-27 Member: 151165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1941376:date=Jun 4 2012, 06:38 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jun 4 2012, 06:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, this is clearly an exploit. 3:30 onos? Probably 1:30 fade? It's pretty silly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's silly if you're a Kharaa, it's gamebreaking and frustrating if you're a Marine :( . This happened on mineshaft last night and there were 2 onos at the 3 minute mark and even without stomp they devastated us and although it took them 15 more minutes to end the game it was clear we were going to lose after about 5.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1941368:date=Jun 4 2012, 07:26 AM:name=Squirreli_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squirreli_ @ Jun 4 2012, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We had all our guys pull back and then the egg-recipient would kill himself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you want a guy to make use of a commander-upgraded egg, can't you just +use the egg?
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1941384:date=Jun 4 2012, 03:12 PM:name=BaTs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BaTs @ Jun 4 2012, 03:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's silly if you're a Kharaa, it's gamebreaking and frustrating if you're a Marine :( . This happened on mineshaft last night and there were 2 onos at the 3 minute mark and even without stomp they devastated us and although it took them 15 more minutes to end the game it was clear we were going to lose after about 5.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mineshaft is a poor example, since in it marines have to come through either of 2 choke points (tram / belt transfer) to get to the aliens. Having a map with a layout controllable by 2 choke points is bad enough, but in addition the aliens have 3 tech points and 5 res nodes to expand to behind those 2 choke points. Terrible balance.

That being said, two onoses at 3-5 minutes is quite hard to counter in any map.
    <!--quoteo(post=1941386:date=Jun 4 2012, 03:22 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jun 4 2012, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you want a guy to make use of a commander-upgraded egg, can't you just +use the egg?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is that possible? Really? I had no idea... We took those eggs by suiciding and making sure only the recipient was dead at the time. If +using the egg indeed is enough, this gimmick becomes even easier to pull off...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited June 2012
    I didn't know you could get into such an egg by respawning. That seems like it'd confuse new players too much... though I'm also expecting commander-upgraded eggs to be made visually distinct enough to make a player want to investigate it, once the devs get time for such polish.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1941389:date=Jun 4 2012, 02:34 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jun 4 2012, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1941389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't know you could get into such an egg by respawning. That seems like it'd confuse new players too much... though I'm also expecting commander-upgraded eggs to be made visually distinct enough to make a player want to investigate it, once the devs get time for such polish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly, you can get such an egg by respawning. Leading to many rage on pubs, because of noobs getting an egg they don't want (like gorge) and re-evolving to skulk. Leaving a furious Kham.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This should be considered an exploit to be honest, you're essentially directly transferring over commander p.res to other players (instead of that commander giving out a 'lifeform' only, which would be intended.)
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    the devs HAVE acknowledged that hypermutation is currently exploitable. i believe hugh said in the stream that they will try to stop the egg buying from adding to issue. something like if you use hypermutation after the kham gives you a lifeform, you DONT get the res back. after all, the kham is supposed to be giving you a LIFEFORM, not just the res of that lifeform