Fade Vortex Suggestion

PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
<div class="IPBDescription">In the style of L4D</div>This is an idea i got from the left 4 dead series.

Instead of vortex rendering players and structures useless for a time, why not allow fades to use vortex as a way of separating marine teams? In L4D2 the charger, jockey, and smoker were able to effectively grab players and lead them away from the group. Vortex could be a way to "grab" a marine and blink away from the battle with them.

This presents a risk vs reward scenario for the fade. The fade may be confident they can pull the marine away and defeat them 1 on 1, or maybe there's a nest of whips just around the corner that the fade can drop the marine at, provided they have enough juice left to do so. Energy management would be key. Vortex consumes energy, as does blinking, so a fade would need to plan their attacks appropriately or risk not getting far enough away from marine base/other marines while being completely tapped out - or not having enough energy left to finish off the marine they used vortex on.

It's a game mechanic that would add more than just damage vs defense into the mix and allow alien teams to change the flow of battle.

Having vortex only take you out of the fight for a limited time sounds too much like devour, and although I never really had an issue with it in NS1, it's been done and I think they are more creative ways to flesh out alien abilities.