alien lifeform energy use is overlooked!

weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited May 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Most glaring example is the skulk bite.
In NS1 when a skulk bit an RT he would get it down to about half-life, then his energy was out and biting slowed to like half speed.
In NS2 his energy actually gets a net INCREASE while biting an RT!
Maybe this should have been fixed before the 'new wavespawning system' was introduced to lessen skulk pressure on RTs?

Second issue is the onos stomp (which goes in line with this thread: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118659" target="_blank">Stomp</a>)
In NS1 the stomps were fast and the onos could do 3 in a row, then he had to wait for energy for the 4th one.
In NS2 the stomp animation takes a long time, during which energy regenerates! This makes the onos being able to deliver more than 3 stomps in a row.

Third, fade shadowtep is a FREE movement ability! Why the hell is it free? Every single movement ability costs energy! Except shadowstep.
edit: my bad, shadowstep does cost energy, but it's only like 5% which is nothing compared to it's cooldown, so effectively, it's free!

Fourth, lerk flight cost energy in NS1, not very much though, but still not negligible. It was a good balance!
In NS2 lerk flapping is completely free. Marine movement ability sprint isn't even free!
I suggested this way back in my lerk rant thread also:
<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117926&view=findpost&p=1928632" target="_blank">The current IMBA-Lerk problem (post #89)</a>

(before any-1 trollingly brings up bellyslide: it doesn't count since gorges are not combat units!)

Comments

• Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1939096:date=May 26 2012, 11:39 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ May 26 2012, 11:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most glaring example is the skulk bite.
    In NS1 when a skulk bit an RT he would get it down to about half-life, then his energy was out and biting slowed to like half speed.
    Maybe this should have been fixed before the 'new wavespawning system' was introduced to lessen skulk pressure on RTs?

Second issue is the onos stomp (which goes in line with this thread: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118659" target="_blank">Stomp</a>)
    In NS1 the stomps were fast and the onos could do 3 in a row, then he had to wait for energy for the 4th one.
    In NS2 the stomp animation takes a long time, during which energy regenerates! This makes the onos being able to deliver more than 3 stomps in a row.

Third, fade shadowtep is a FREE movement ability! Why the hell is it free? Every single movement ability costs energy! Except shadowstep.

Fourth, lerk flight cost energy in NS1, not very much though, but still not negligible. It was a good balance!
    In NS2 lerk flapping is completely free. Marine movement ability sprint isn't even free!
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117926&view=findpost&p=1928632" target="_blank">The current IMBA-Lerk problem (post #89)</a>

(before any-1 trollingly brings up bellyslide: it doesn't count since gorges are not combat units!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I predict a wave of trolls and fanboys yelling "if you want NS1 go play NS1" in the same attitude as those people who say "This is Amurica if you don't like it then GIT OUT!"

But yea you're probably right about all of that.

Actually its quite interesting -- I played the grayboxed eclipse yesterday and it does not work well right now because of the difference in movement mechanics and lifeforms between NS2 and NS1. Kind of sad really because the map is still better made than most of the others.
  • JayarisJayaris Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149321Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939096:date=May 26 2012, 10:39 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ May 26 2012, 10:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most glaring example is the skulk bite.

(before any-1 trollingly brings up bellyslide: it doesn't count since gorges are not combat units!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Don't see a problem with it, Marine can swing his axe as many times as he wants and kill a Harvester in the same timeframe.

2. Agreed, Stomp is way too spammable - But, the developers have said they are changing it.

3. Shadowstep uses energy.

4. Having flapping cost energy certainly made Lerk more tactical at the moment a lerk can spam his spacebar key whilst attacking you.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    Skulks do tend to just spam bites at the moment so it would be interesting to see biting use more energy, but with hit-reg/perf as it is it would currently cause alot of frustration... Personally I already spend too much time as a skulk biting objects - it's boring please don't make me do any more of it.

Yep stomp needs reworking, they are looking at doing a big overhaul based on Q&A3.

Like Jayaris said, Shadow step isn't free.

Flapping costing energy would be interesting tactically but it would discourage lerks from getting involved in combat and just snipe from afar. Sporing up close might not work at all unless you make either flapping or spores very cheap.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939194:date=May 26 2012, 09:53 PM:name=ubikjam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ubikjam @ May 26 2012, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulks do tend to just spam bites at the moment so it would be interesting to see biting use more energy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and the marines' axe should become dull after X hits in a row, right?

This is a case of overcomplicating the game to solve problems that don't exist! If it takes 100 bites to kill an RT, and nobody stops me biting it 100 times, I'm gonna bite it 100 times because killing the RT is important. If the game says "nope, you can only bite 30 times and then you have to take a break" (you know, like with lerk spikes, the most successful and well designed attack in the game) it's another thing that makes me not want to play ns2

Energy costs in general are either too low (bite) or too punishing (spike, leap, bile) because there is no movement chamber or adrenaline to affect things. If the shift has any relation to those ideas, energy costs should be balanced around that to some extent. Changing these things in the current (shift-free) game might end up to be a waste of time.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1939196:date=May 26 2012, 07:01 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 26 2012, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and the marines' axe should become dull after X hits in a row, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Obviously the axe has a layer of nanites that autosharpen it. Do you even play anymore IE?
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939196:date=May 27 2012, 02:01 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 27 2012, 02:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and the marines' axe should become dull after X hits in a row, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, which is why I said I don't want to spend longer biting on buildings as a skulk...

I was talking about in combat, but like I said with hit-reg as it is it would be almost impossible to time bites at this point even if OP got his way.

Also did u just argue that bite energy is too low and too high in the same post? Can't say I get what you're trying to say.
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939202:date=May 26 2012, 10:29 PM:name=ubikjam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ubikjam @ May 26 2012, 10:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also did u just argue that bite energy is too low and too high in the same post? Can't say I get what you're trying to say.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no, I used the word cost

the COST is too low for bite (like the OP said, you get a net gain while biting nonstop with no MC/adrenaline to help)
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I too miss the importance of a Movement Chamber that gave you what you have now without one. Adrenaline from a MC was one of the most important things.
    I don't like that Gorge-healing uses so much energy while being so weak at the same time. In NS1 it was the class Adrenaline was made for (and Lerk if you liked it). And spit was never spammable, now it is. Well, you don't hit anything anyways ^^
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1939196:date=May 27 2012, 03:01 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 27 2012, 03:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the game says "nope, you can only bite 30 times and then you have to take a break" (you know, like with lerk spikes, the most successful and well designed attack in the game) it's another thing that makes me not want to play ns2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1939196:date=May 27 2012, 03:01 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 27 2012, 03:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Energy costs in general are either too low (bite)...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm also confused with this contradiction. You think that the energy cost is too low for bite but you don't want to play the game if you have to stop after 30 bites?
    <!--quoteo(post=1939351:date=May 27 2012, 02:21 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ May 27 2012, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm also confused with this contradiction. You think that the energy cost is too low for bite but you don't want to play the game if you have to stop after 30 bites?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right. It should eat through my energy slowly (so that biting a bunch after spending as many leaps as I can is risky), not so quickly that basic tasks become frustrating if not impossible (like killing RTs with lerk spikes)
    Okay. That golden value is probably quite elusive though. Balancing energy around biting 100 times (or whatever it takes to kill an extractor) without stopping while keeping the 'risky bite' situation without expending practically all of your energy sounds pretty tough.
    Not really. You just take the amount of energy a bite costs, and make it so the skulk regenerates <i>slightly </i>less than that in the time it takes to bite. How much that 'slightly' means is what you tweak as you try to get it spot-on.
    edited May 2012
    I guess not. Full energy depletion was pretty rare in NS1 (edit: in the sense that default attacks were impossible, at least) and the bite was too costly by your measure because of the breaks involved in eating rts so I don't envisage your risky bites being that prevalent. Anyway, I agree with you in principle.
    Yeah, I could be wrong about half of what I say (and I probably am). It's looking like a good idea to sit down before release and say 'let's fix every energy cost', though.
    edited May 2012
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    what does my OP have to do with combat? bite depleting energy IN COMBAT???
    as for bite after leaps, it almost never happened in NS1 that I didn't have energy for bite. because bite bumps energy down so little!
    but when repeatedly biting an RT, non-stop, it adds up over a <u>long time</u>!
    the NS1 system worked perfectly - there WAS A TRADE-OFF for biting RTs!
    1. you couldn't finish a fresh RT in one long go.
    2. if interrupted, you'd have less energy for leaps do defend yourself.
    3. if you wanted to be able to take it out in one go anyway, you were forced to choose the adrenaline upgrade.
    All in all - you were more vulnerable when biting an RT!
    NS2 has NONE of these points, NO TRADEOFF FOR BITING RT - where's the design-doc?
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Another thread I have to agree with.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1939408:date=May 27 2012, 08:21 PM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ May 27 2012, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what does my OP have to do with combat? bite depleting energy IN COMBAT???
    as for bite after leaps, it almost never happened in NS1 that I didn't have energy for bite. because bite bumps energy down so little!
    but when repeatedly biting an RT, non-stop, it adds up over a <u>long time</u>!
    the NS1 system worked perfectly - there WAS A TRADE-OFF for biting RTs!
    1. you couldn't finish a fresh RT in one long go.
    2. if interrupted, you'd have less energy for leaps do defend yourself.
    3. if you wanted to be able to take it out in one go anyway, you were forced to choose the adrenaline upgrade.
    All in all - you were more vulnerable when biting an RT!
    NS2 has NONE of these points, NO TRADEOFF FOR BITING RT - where's the design-doc?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Waaaah? How about defend the extractors then or have the Comm shield it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and the marines' axe should become dull after X hits in a row, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->