Is there really no way of lowering the performance floor?

2»

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1937958:date=May 21 2012, 07:00 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ May 21 2012, 07:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937958"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. I'm assuming that it is a <i>problem</i> and that it <i>has to be solved</i>. And Talesin et al are defending the current state of affairs as being somewhere close to <i>good enough</i>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What I mean is that servers can't keep up by the end of a game, if performance improves that may eventually be solved, so the assumption that 45 FPS are going to be 15 by end-game may not necessarily apply in the future.

It's obvious the performance leaves a lot to be desired, but if they can make it an average of 45FPS for a full game I'd say that's decent, at least. I'd say the bare minimum should be 60, but who knows what the state of the engine will be at release time...
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1937966:date=May 22 2012, 03:16 AM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ May 22 2012, 03:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's obvious the performance leaves a lot to be desired, but if they can make it an average of 45FPS for a full game I'd say that's decent, at least. I'd say the bare minimum should be 60,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm going to ram this point home again within three posts to make it quite clear. <b><i>You are asking us to beat the Valve Source engine</i></b>. This will not happen, and making statements about how good it would be if we did serves no purpose than to raise expectations and set people up for disappointment.

Read the NS2HD post carefully. It sets a specific goal for specific hardware, based on the performance of a specific engine.

This thread is running off into a downward spiral of wild speculation about performance that cannot ever be attained. The answer to the OP's question is time, and these speculative posts are flying very far from topic.

Closed.
This discussion has been closed.