Power Node: Infestation Detection

PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted GorgeRichmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
edited May 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Ever since playing in B208 as Marine Commander, the power grid has been a great help in building placement and adds a general high-tech feel, a system if you will (because that's what it is). I've been thinking about how a ghost building will not appear on infestation, even if the Commander has no visual feedback aside from the building placement being canceled (one would assume there is either infestation or some alien structure/unit at the location).

So, why not introduce a bonus for setting up Power Nodes, aside from being able to make your buildings function? My proposal is simple: the ability to <b>monitor infestation status</b> within the confines of a room's power grid.

If you want to get down to specific details, see below:

- Line of Sight is not granted, therefore Cysts are not exposed.
- Even if infestation covers the Power Socket, unbuilt Power Node can still be placed.
- Once a Power Node is active, any infestation within a room is revealed to Comm. and Marine mini-map.
- The power grid sections covered by infestation will turn the lines from blue to red.

This gives the Marine Commander a clear visual indication for non-build-able ground, as well as adding a scouting ability without use of energy (Scan). The Alien Comm. might request for a Power Node to be destroyed before Cysting up to a Tech Point for Hive, or taking a Harvester, knowing the Comm. or his Marines can see the DI spread on their mini-maps.

After all, Nanites and Bacterium cannot coexist :)

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Anything that makes them help the marine team in some way to outweigh being a weak point sounds like good news to me. Maybe block infestation entirely, or at least cyst placement?