Harvester and Cyst Relationship

KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
edited May 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">A simple thought</div>So as of the current build (208) There isn't much reason to kill cysts since they no longer provide LOS for aliens, and they've been moved back to hive energy from TRES

Now I pre-ordered NS2 quiiiiite a while back. Shortly after the game went from Alpha to Beta (If my memory serves me correct) And I've been unable to play due to low PC specs, so instead I've been watching NS2HD and (as of 'recently') the livestreams on the official Twitch.tv channel.

Point is, I can't say much about balance because I've never played NS2 for more than 2 hours but there's two things I've noticed.
1: Cysts(reason above) are now rather pointless to kill.
2: Flamethrowers seem to be horrible

Right off the bat I'm not going to discuss the flamethrower since i don't play therefore i have no idea what to consider balanced

Now for issue #1
1: Cysts; They don't seem to warrant killing aside from placing structures for marines/slowing down hive drops slightly.

-Now Aliens seem to not have much of a Res-sink at the moment, and since the recent patch Harvesters are quite a bit harder to kill, meaning Aliens end up saving/obtaining more resources because harvesters take longer to kill, So what if instead of needing to kill a harvester to 'disable/remove' it, you could instead cut the cyst chain that connects it to the hive and the Harvester no longer generates resources until the chain is reconnected? (Logic(Even though there is no need for that in NS2): By cutting the cyst chain that connects the harvester to the hive, the Harvester no longer able to send resources to the hive for it to store/consume)

This will allow marines to further slow down alien expansion by denying them Res, without needing to commit to killing a harvester.
Killing a cyst is quite easy, As is rebuilding a cyst. Now sure it wont be much, But what if the alien commander is busy focusing somewhere else on the map (Such as using umbra) and doesn't really care/notice if a cyst dies. Because of this they don't realize they aren't gaining resources because the cyst chain is broken.

I don't play the game, I only observe it. So i can't tell if this would be something that would heavily affect games in a negative or positive way, Which is why I'm just throwing it out there, and interested to see how other players feel.