The RTS element

RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
Why is it that NS2 has such a weak RTS element? There is nothing you can do any more to stop aliens or marines from rolling out big rape weapons, as even if you destroy their second hive or whatever, everything costs so little resources you absolutely cannot stop anything.

In NS1 Fade and Onos were a rare sight that required investment. In NS2 there are usually like 5 fade and 4 onos 15 mins into the game.

What happened?

Comments

• RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936705:date=May 17 2012, 08:25 AM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ May 17 2012, 08:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is it that NS2 has such a weak RTS element? There is nothing you can do any more to stop aliens or marines from rolling out big rape weapons, as even if you destroy their second hive or whatever, everything costs so little resources you absolutely cannot stop anything.

In NS1 Fade and Onos were a rare sight that required investment. In NS2 there are usually like 5 fade and 4 onos 15 mins into the game.

What happened?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IMO the biggest change is that there is no Res sink. In NS1 you had 2 people dropping chambers at start, others building RTs, and more use of lerks. Now basically everyone saves for onos and fade. Even the people who gorge only spend 10 Res.

That said, they seem to be aware of both issues (fast life forms, the explosions) and are working on them. I think the next build reduces starting PRes for instance, which should change the timing.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    You refer to how it was in NS1 like it was a positive thing. All that time and effort put into the design of the fade and onos, the model creation, the animations, and they are rarely ever seen? That is a big development no no. You always put most effort into things which are most visible, and least effort into things which are least visible. That should be fairly logical.

Furthermore, the more "rare sights" a game has, the less varied the game is overall (and the less tactical options there are available).
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1936706:date=May 17 2012, 03:32 PM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ May 17 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the next build reduces starting PRes for instance, which should change the timing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We actually had to TEMPORARILY revert the starting PRes back to the current amount of 25. The initial amount we tried out was too low, and we didn't have enough time to properly test (and possibly deal with recosting of stuff to compensate) a different amount for this patch. But lower PRes is still very much on the table, and we'll be trying out some different numbers.

--Cory
  • bobthesobbobthesob Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137195Members
    I think the game economy needs to be improved. Maybe UWE should limit the amount of rez that can be gathered from a rez node. Like in sc2 u need to get up more bases in the early game. Because your main will be mined out around 10 mins. Unless your going for a all in type of strat. So maybe if they limited the amount of rez a node can spit out. It would add more importance to the rts element in terms of macro and getting up a expansion.

UWE really needs to follow the design of SC2 a lot more imo. Game play is more important then keep things asymmetric.

SC2 is very symmetric at its core gameplay level. NS2 isn't and i feel that this is the major problem. All tho i feel that the game is far improved from older builds. I'm not sure if its really headed in the right direction. The FPS aspects are pretty good and i feel that is really all UWE has be working on for a while now. That and the game engine and performance. So many once they get past the bad performance they can retool the rts game play. I feel there needs to be more commander controlled units as well. I want commander controlled units i can take to battle.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936749:date=May 17 2012, 12:18 PM:name=bobthesob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bobthesob @ May 17 2012, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the game economy needs to be improved. Maybe UWE should limit the amount of rez that can be gathered from a rez node. Like in sc2 u need to get up more bases in the early game. Because your main will be mined out around 10 mins. Unless your going for a all in type of strat. So maybe if they limited the amount of rez a node can spit out. It would add more importance to the rts element in terms of macro and getting up a expansion.

UWE really needs to follow the design of SC2 a lot more imo. Game play is more important then keep things asymmetric.

SC2 is very symmetric at its core gameplay level. NS2 isn't and i feel that this is the major problem. All tho i feel that the game is far improved from older builds. I'm not sure if its really headed in the right direction. The FPS aspects are pretty good and i feel that is really all UWE has be working on for a while now. That and the game engine and performance. So many once they get past the bad performance they can retool the rts game play. I feel there needs to be more commander controlled units as well. I want commander controlled units i can take to battle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Asymmetry is a great feature of Natural Selection. Would be quite boring to live without it.

I do think that NS2 needs some more res sinks though. With alien upgrades being free and gorge structures being free, there is no res sink besides rushing for your chosen lifeform.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1936753:date=May 17 2012, 11:46 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ May 17 2012, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Asymmetry is a great feature of Natural Selection. Would be quite boring to live without it.

I do think that NS2 needs some more res sinks though. With alien upgrades being free and gorge structures being free, there is no res sink besides rushing for your chosen lifeform.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed, asymmetry was and is what draws me to NS
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936719:date=May 17 2012, 11:14 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ May 17 2012, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You refer to how it was in NS1 like it was a positive thing. All that time and effort put into the design of the fade and onos, the model creation, the animations, and they are rarely ever seen? That is a big development no no. You always put most effort into things which are most visible, and least effort into things which are least visible. That should be fairly logical.

Furthermore, the more "rare sights" a game has, the less varied the game is overall (and the less tactical options there are available).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gosh, it must be opposite day.
    An impressive moment is one that is unique, furthermore the moment isn't impressive if effort isn't put into making it unique. Pretty logical.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1936745:date=May 17 2012, 07:37 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 17 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We actually had to TEMPORARILY revert the starting PRes back to the current amount of 25. The initial amount we tried out was too low, and we didn't have enough time to properly test (and possibly deal with recosting of stuff to compensate) a different amount for this patch. But lower PRes is still very much on the table, and we'll be trying out some different numbers.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you for not just slamming that one in, cause that would have broken so much.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited May 2012
    We already discussed that changing the initial pres don't solve the resource system issues and the mass lifeforms, but only the timing at which the lifeforms appear.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What happened?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Short answer: the new resource system. It makes trading army for tech and economy problematic. Imagine starcraft: you mine minerals, minerals go into two pools, one for building command centers, the other for building marines, that would be stupid right?. It's not exactly this situation in NS2 though, but that's the general idea.
  • Arkahm719Arkahm719 Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151988Members
    I wish I had an idea on how to fix it, all I know is when I play alien and the game time hits 9 minutes its like 4 of us start to onos and win the game, pretty boring, thats like 90 percent of the time, the other 10 is where you have really balanced teams and the game goes on for 30 minutes and its fun even if I lose.

the reason ns1 didnt have the problem was because aliens had to build their own things with the same res not a secondary for buildings, letting a few players save for fade and onos which, those few lifeforms game teh marines issues, but now we have a typical 8v8 and 4-5 onos players, marines have 0! chance at fighting that, ive seen 4 marines pump clip after clip while he sits in the base and we cant kill it. and I personally thing the stomp should not effect anything but marines and arcs.. having 2 onos stomp ips one after another is a win while skulks take out the CC or IPs
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited May 2012
    There are also mechanics like mist and nano-construct which de-emphasize the importance of scouting (by giving the person making the ARC train, fast onos, hive or whatever less time in which they're vulnerable with their tech plans laid out). This is another mistake in the RTS department, since neither of those mechanics are actually necessary to begin with!

The equivalent in the Starcraft games is<a href="http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Chrono_Boost" target="_blank"> chrono boost</a>, which can only be used on things that are already built (not things that are building). Do you see where I'm going with this?

<!--quoteo(post=1936770:date=May 17 2012, 05:20 PM:name=Arkahm719)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkahm719 @ May 17 2012, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->having 2 onos stomp ips one after another is a win while skulks take out the CC or IPs<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

why do you have all your IPs in range of 2 stomps at the point in the game where you're against onos? to let this happen, you make mistakes as a player that have very little to do with the game's design
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1936749:date=May 17 2012, 02:18 PM:name=bobthesob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bobthesob @ May 17 2012, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936749"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So maybe if they limited the amount of rez a node can spit out. It would add more importance to the rts element in terms of macro and getting up a expansion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We tried this. If the game lasted too long it went back to skulks vs. upgraded rifles and armor which sucked horribly.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I'm not sure if what you listed (how to stop/creating rape trains) actually relates back to the RTS side or just NS2's game design. While NS1 and NS2 both claim to be an RTS/FPS each side pulls at the other and it's a give and take relationship. Often times the 'take' is from the RTS side and the 'give' is to the FPS side, which is how it should be.

So far NS2's commanding an improvement over NS1's but there's still room to grow. That said, I'm not sure how much room without looking at the redesign of some aspects of NS2 but even if NS2 went retail the way it is now, speaking only from the RTS aspect, I'd feel confident saying UWE improved the experience over NS1.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1936705:date=May 17 2012, 10:25 AM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ May 17 2012, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In NS1 Fade and Onos were a rare sight that required investment. In NS2 there are usually like 5 fade and 4 onos 15 mins into the game.

What happened?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Resources were replaced with P-res and T-res and you always get them in fixed proportion. There is no trade-off between structures and units.

In effect, everybody is saving for fade/onos because going gorge and getting an RT, a hive or upgrade chambers is not possible/necessary.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1936865:date=May 17 2012, 09:29 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ May 17 2012, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We tried this. If the game lasted too long it went back to skulks vs. upgraded rifles and armor which sucked horribly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you have to at least loosely link P-res and T-res via some method. There has to be a trade-off between getting upgrades/structures or getting weapons/units rather than always getting both at the same time.

There are many ways you could do this. One of the more convenient variants I can think of would be a kind of "wage" slider that the comm has control over. At the right extreme, only T-res is generated. At the left extreme, only P-res is generated.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936706:date=May 17 2012, 07:32 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ May 17 2012, 07:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMO the biggest change is that there is no Res sink. In NS1 you had 2 people dropping chambers at start, others building RTs, and more use of lerks. Now basically everyone saves for onos and fade. Even the people who gorge only spend 10 Res.

That said, they seem to be aware of both issues (fast life forms, the explosions) and are working on them. I think the next build reduces starting PRes for instance, which should change the timing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, the problem is the alien commander.
    No gorges needed to drop things for res sinks because of the commander.

I think everyone knows this, and I don't think there are any ways to fix it with the current system, but there's no way they are even going to remove the alien commander, so what can we do?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1936818:date=May 18 2012, 12:37 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 18 2012, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The equivalent in the Starcraft games is<a href="http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Chrono_Boost" target="_blank"> chrono boost</a>, which can only be used on things that are already built (not things that are building). Do you see where I'm going with this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just as a little interesting side note with SC2 mechanics, as far as I've understood the protoss building build times are almost overboard to compensate the chronoboost. It makes protoss pretty damn rigid in some ways.

For example the terran 1-1-1 builds pretty much abuse the fact that protoss is so committed to building related techs compared to terran. Terran goes everywhere in the tech tree, forcing multiple tech reactions from toss and then hits before toss can get any of them running smoothly. Right now the matchup seems to be in manageable shape, but I think they've been making pretty big sacrifices in potential gameplay awesomeness and variation to contain all the volatility in the gameplay.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    maybe you should be required to switch harvesters/extractors between gathering p-res and t-res? so like default you get 50/50, and you can switch it to 75/25 or 25/75.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    A cleaner implementation would be to have two different extractors models (or three: one pure tres, one pure pres and one 50/50), with different color or whatever.

So the enemy team can scout and focus specifically a type of resources depending on the situation.

And the comm would also need to think a bit before dropping an extractor type or the other.

Then the pres and tres should be renamed to make it clear that it's something different and not just two pools of the same resource.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    That sounds really cool, but I'm not sure there'd be time to balance such a vast change in the economy system.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936764:date=May 17 2012, 02:05 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 17 2012, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We already discussed that changing the initial pres don't solve the resource system issues and the mass lifeforms, but only the timing at which the lifeforms appear.

Short answer: the new resource system. It makes trading army for tech and economy problematic. Imagine starcraft: you mine minerals, minerals go into two pools, one for building command centers, the other for building marines, that would be stupid right?. It's not exactly this situation in NS2 though, but that's the general idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except that in an RTS game you have one player, the commander. NS you have many players, only one of which is commander. Need to reduce the power this one person has, while not diminishing his important role, and grant autonomy to all players.

UWEs aim seems to be to have all alien lifeforms fill extremely specific roles so that going all onos is a negative. Clearly we have not reached this point yet.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1936745:date=May 17 2012, 10:37 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 17 2012, 10:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We actually had to TEMPORARILY revert the starting PRes back to the current amount of 25. The initial amount we tried out was too low, and we didn't have enough time to properly test (and possibly deal with recosting of stuff to compensate) a different amount for this patch. But lower PRes is still very much on the table, and we'll be trying out some different numbers.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep the economy and pacing are very much in development still. The amount and timing of the various lifeforms and tech is still being worked on.

We aren't sure about lowering the starting res though, it's something that we're still thinking about and experimenting with, but I wouldn't say it's expected to go in.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936932:date=May 18 2012, 06:50 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ May 18 2012, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just as a little interesting side note with SC2 mechanics, as far as I've understood the protoss building build times are almost overboard to compensate the chronoboost. It makes protoss pretty damn rigid in some ways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, it's the unit building that really benefits (beyond the baseline) from chronos

it's not supposed to be a super-powerful mechanic (the same way spawn larva isn't)

at least nano-construct succeeds in that way :)
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    How about reducing the amont of t res flow but allowing aliens to donate p res to t res...
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about reducing the amont of t res flow but allowing aliens to donate p res to t res...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That sounds like it would create a lot more issues though.

Aliens just need some resource sinks
    <ul><li>Evolutions cost pres again</li><li>Augmentations cost pres like evolutions</li></ul>
    Augmentations are such devastating abilities that it's silly they be free after the relatively small cost to research them.
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    If you figure out the P-Res issue so that aliens have something to spend resources on OTHER THAN ONOS then that would be probably good or at least not bad...right?
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Sadly, the gorge sink is now gone for some reason, which confuses me because I don't really see the point of giving gorges free buildings.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    edited May 2012
    The main problem is that tres flows at the same rate as in NS1. Then you add pres flowing in at 1/4 of that rate PER PLAYER, so in an 8v8 game, you have three times as many resources as in NS1 (1x tres + (8x 0.25=2 pres) = 3 times as much res).

Now, this is not a fatal flaw, you just need to add enough worthwhile res sinks for aliens that they are FORCED to spend some pres before reaching end-game.

A proposal I liked was for aliens to pay a pres price to unlock (free) upgrades, with each upgrade being in two steps; the first step would be for all lifeforms, the second step for a specific lifeform. So you would pay 10 pres for carapace (general), another 10 pres for carapace specialization (Skulk), another 10 pres for carapace spec (Onos).

So if you wanted to go early Onos, it would be a weaker one, because you hadn't paid the 20 pres to get the full onos carapace upgrade (+20 pres for full celerity). Or you could pay the 10 pres for general carapace early so your Skulk play would improve, but then the Onos would be 10 pres late (and still without a full carapace).

Would be an effective sink of alien pres, for sure.