Hydra Death Blossom

PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted GorgeRichmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
edited May 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
This is just one of those "wouldn't it be cool..." ideas, probably suggested before in some form.

Since Hydras mature now and are capped to 3 per Gorge, wouldn't it be neat if their firepower increased with their maturity status? It would be visually represented by the blossoming of the flowers:

Newborn Hydra - 1 spike flower
Hydra (50% mature) - 2 spike flowers
Mature Hydra - 3 spike flowers

- Newborn would be the weakest stage, in health, armor, and damage; its one measly spike is also easy to dodge for Marines on the move.
- The 50% mature Hydra could either shoot 2 spikes shotgun style (with slight spread, same base 20 dmg per spike), or allow up to 2 targets at a time to be targeted.
- The Mature Hydra would be very deadly if all 3 spikes connect.

The reason for the idea is that I find Hydras are very expendable right now; there really isn't much incentive to keep them alive except for increased health and armor with maturity. A Gorge would basically digest a Hydra just to free up the cap, and throw up a new one elsewhere. If Hydra's effectiveness increased over time, I hope this change would introduce more decision-making:

Should I eat my Mature Hydra and move up... or should I keep it to defend the RT, while putting up my third Hydra? What if I need 2 of them and my 1st is too far away to be digested? Hmmmmm.

Comments

• Gorge_LucasGorge_Lucas Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109352Members
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    I like it, it goes with the structures gain abilities over time concept and also makes the hydra a little more hydra like. I think it would also be cool if the hydra had a small range melee ability to compensate for its weak newborn state. or gain it when it is mature. But yeah I like your idea. Makes it a little more of a choice when you are going to move a hydra to the front lines.
    +1
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Thanks guys, and the melee attack sounds neat Broseidon. I can just imagine Hydras pummeling careless Marines to death- those tentacles pack some punch!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I like the idea of hydras becoming more powerful with time, cos they're puny in 207.

If they only start with 1 flower doesnt that mean theyll be useless near the front lines? Gorges will prefer to put them where they stand a good chance of not being attacked for a while.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    If Spike damage remains the same, then it shouldn't be a big problem, since the Hydra remains the same as in B207; of course, an accuracy tweak would be good for the Hydra in general, somewhere between B206 crazy good hit-scan and current highly dodge-able spike.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    I like this, could be a way to make the hydra more useful while keeping a good trade-off.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Very good idea! I want this.
    I'm glad the Hydra has its ninja capability returned (no DI needed to build), while keeping its ability to defend a chokepoint against upfront damage. Now a Gorge can elect to setup traps away from base, or dedicate all or several of his Hydras to area denial at home.

Still, since they are static defense, they don't scale against Marine armor upgrades; while it may not be necessary since they are free to build, alas, the prospect of stronger defense remains interesting to me. Ever since they did away with B206 Gorge structure increase per Hive, I've been itching to come up with something similar.

If maturation proves to be OP (well, it is a straight buff after all), perhaps the flowers can blossom depending on active Hives on the map instead :)?
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1937223:date=May 19 2012, 12:14 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ May 19 2012, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If maturation proves to be OP (well, it is a straight buff after all), perhaps the flowers can blossom depending on active Hives on the map instead :)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why hasn't this been thought of before? I'd love to see that, though it wouldn't be without its issues as well: Too weak at first, too strong at the end - but then if Kharaa own 4 Hives, the rines should be done at that point. And there would still be the 3 Hydra limit. The biggest problem with Hydras that I see is that they went from permanently purchased with PRes to Free but limited to 3. So instead of seeing Kharaan Team defenses of Hydras, we see Gorge defenses of Hydras. When I place my Hydras, I try to use them as both.. but they aren't really effective as 1, 1, and 1.

Was there some drastic increase of damage or range or something else when Hydras were made free?
    <!--quoteo(post=1937282:date=May 19 2012, 05:35 AM:name=botchiball)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (botchiball @ May 19 2012, 05:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1937282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was there some drastic increase of damage or range or something else when Hydras were made free?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think so, damage and range appear to be the same, only changes in their overall accuracy and method of attack (projectile -> hit-scan).

Regarding the limit, it would be interesting to shuffle around the numbers and ways of improving Hydra firepower. Working within the predetermined number of 3, the blossom per Hive idea from my last post could work to allow Kharaa defense to scale with their progress; it feels natural that you would require more stopping power in order to protect that many Hives at once.

However, there's also a way for maturation to work without outright buffing the Hydra as it is currently:

Each Hive grants an additional Hydra, starting with 1, but Hydra can mature to gain all 3 flowers, essentially providing the same benefit of damage from 3 Hydras in B208. Of course, 1 Hydra is an easy target, and its loss can mean a swift death for our Gorge friend; the Gorge would also be limited to one area he can cover in early game, so it's a big trade-off to put emphasis on tending to your Hydra.

Anyway, we won't know for certain until it's been tested in some form, but it is fun to brainstorm about it (for me at least :P)