Gorge Mini-Cyst Suggestion

botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Change the way Mini-Cysts work</div>With the current implementation of 5 mini-cysts which function like small radius and falsely permanent versions of the true Cysts, they serve only to confuse and annoy. Here is my suggestion:

Instead of having the Mini-Cysts work the same as true Cysts, have the Gorge place a 'blanket' of infestation which is surrounded by Mini-Cysts. This infestation would survive without connection to a hive, but wouldn't spread outward. This blanket of infestation would let the Gorge place Hydras or Clogs wherever required - i.e. with placing them off of Cyst connected pathways.

This would also allow for some interesting team mechanics, for example: if a Gorge would be able to sneak past the Marine line, they could drop an infestation blanket onto a tech-node - allowing the Khamm to build a sneak-Hive behind enemy lines.

Comments

• KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    I kind of really like this actually.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    i like the general idea, this would free the gorge to fullfill his "combat engenier" role, because as long as he is tied to hive infestation he simply cant go with his team and set up a little forward base for healing/distracting/defending what ever.

in 207 1-2 marines can destroy such a forwardbase without defense, so i think a gorgerush to pin the marines in their base has slim chances of succeeding. i think it would be balanced.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1936261:date=May 14 2012, 05:17 PM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ May 14 2012, 05:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in 207 1-2 marines can destroy such a forwardbase without defense, so i think a gorgerush to pin the marines in their base has slim chances of succeeding. i think it would be balanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, the forward bases in the past have never been anything marines couldn't deal with if they had the skill. Its simply a matter of letting the Gorge push up and add some minor defense to an area - which is what Hydras are: minor defense. Coupled with Healspray, this would let Gorges act as offensive support rather than running and hiding in every circumstance.

It would also allow the Gorge to help in his engineer role, staying in the rear he could push to another hive and drop his infestation nest and allow another Harvester or Hive to be built quicker than normally allowed. This would increase some variety in Kharaa gameplay, and allow the Gorge to feel as though he has contributed something other than the required "go heal here, go heal there" role.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    I think build 208's "place Hydras anywhere" change works fairly well for the purpose of forward bases, however I think something has been lost by not allowing the Gorge to expand infestation at all anymore.

208 relies more on the Khamm to take care of everything while they are pestered by each of the players wanting different things. Granted the Gorge doesn't NEED the Khamm to place cysts with the new Hydras, and the Khamm doesn't NEED any Gorges to assist with infestation spreading, but I still liked being a Gorge running around using my PRes to help the Khamm build up the map. Who really enjoys being the Khamm and hearing "please spread Cysts south of Data Core, hey Khamm, spread Cysts south, XRoads has been open for 5 minutes, build a freakin Harvester already." Plus it is nice being the Khamm and having a Gorge say "I built up cysts to the Res Node, ready for Harvester in Ventilation."

I guess I'd just like to see overlap between the different classes, and that seems to be the opposite of what the Devs are going for : /.