curved hallway props

jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
<div class="IPBDescription">!!!</div>How do i always see curved pipes ingame. I have only found 2 props that curve and i cant even fit them properly in my map... what am i missing.

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    -Cleaned up thread-
    Please try to be helpful.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    If you could post a few screenshots of the curved pipes you're talking about, and go into more detail about what isn't working for you, I'm sure we can help you achieve what you're after.
  • jstoiajstoia Join Date: 2009-12-15 Member: 69667Members
    no i guess i figure this one out on my own.
    after getting treated that way from a fellow community member im somewhat turned off. atm
  • AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
    Most of the curved thigns you se is geometry that has a pipe texture on it. A lot of mappers have become really good at taking gemoetry and making it look like a prop.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    If you have a 90 degree turn in a hallway, rotate props by 22.5 degrees, after connecting 4 of them you'll have 90 degrees. Make sure you change the orientation of rotation.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Also for more manual control using the shift key on stuff with the rotate or move tool you can ignore the snap action of the editor. Just make sure you clean up those angles and values on the prop properties and get those vertexes on the grid (not really needed but it is much easier/cleaner to work with)
    thanks so much for those tips guys. sad part is with diablo 3 out tonight I hope I have time to mapp lol!!!!
  • Petros IchorPetros Ichor Join Date: 2005-07-14 Member: 55917Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm also interested in this. I didn't think I should start a new thread.

I can get down creating curved surfaces, but they're a mess as far as alignment to the grid is concerned. If I would never need to tie anything to them ever it wouldn't bother me, but I feel like i spend more time cleaning up the points then making the shape.

Are there any tips and tricks for getting things to snap better. I realize there are geometric problems working on 3 plans with "rounded" 3D shapes. Just want to see if there's any pointers to save some time or headache.
  • Petros IchorPetros Ichor Join Date: 2005-07-14 Member: 55917Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is just a cleaner mapping style to have as much as possible on the grid, which means vertices don't use float comma values. That way it is easier to modify or add geometry to the existing one, because as soon as it comes to moving or scaling you'll have trouble with the off-grid stuff to get it into exact different off-grid positions or to make seperate geometry connect exactly with other geometry ending off the grid.

That being said there are a lot of things where off-grid vertices don't matter:
    -Seperate geometry, like building your own pillars or segments, which you then treat like props, where vertices are bound to be off-grid, when you rotate them.
    -Curved geometry for the sake of having perfect curves, although the two endpieces of, let's say, a 90° curve should be on the grid, if possible, and can be used as orientation/origin for moving and scaling that curved geometry.
    -Rotated geometry like bends in hallways to keep the intended scale and dimensions. In these cases it always helps to have the off-grid geometry connected and share vertices up to where the end pieces of said geometry are back on the grid. That way you always have some on-grid points you can use for moving and scaling.
    -Endpieces of geometry like, for example, when you extrude a rotated face of a wall to create space for a prop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nevermind, Found it in another thread. :) Thanks pSyk0mAn