Random Spawns, and more control for competitive matches

MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate placesValencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
edited May 2012 in Competitive Play
A while ago I developed a mod to eliminate random spawns (always chose cross spawns) which used a really simple method, then evolved it so the mappers could choose the spawning configuration freely.

Now the problem is, this is very convenient for mappers, but not for any server ops interested in the feature, so for the next version I want to make it easier for server ops to change the random spawns in the maps just by modifying .txt files inside the maps folder.

Right now I'm including the 3 official maps modified already for anyone that wants to try it (link is in my sig), but I understand this might not satisfy everyone (if you want a different setup you have to modify the maps). Any ideas or features you might want to have? And most importantly, does the competitive scene want something like this? Even if you don't want random spawns, you can easily make any map to be fixed spawns with a .txt file with what I have in mind instead of having to fiddle with the map in the editor...

So, before I start coding for nothing, I'd like to gather some feedback.

Comments

• ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Although not a server host, as a player and caster I say yes please. It's a decent compromise from the absolute fixed spawns that Tram and Summit were designed for.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1935494:date=May 11 2012, 08:34 PM:name=Mendasp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mendasp @ May 11 2012, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->does the competitive scene want something like this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yes, please continue!
    As for myself, I have never used the editor, and didn't feel like learning it.
    I am very much looking forward to be able to edit it in a text file.
    Love what you're doing here, we will definitely be playing with this as soon as it's a bit more accessable.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Leave random spawn locations on aliens like in NS1, but allow the relocating of CC's.

Problem solved with random spawns.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1935552:date=May 12 2012, 10:53 AM:name=.ADHd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.ADHd @ May 12 2012, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Leave random spawn locations on aliens like in NS1, but allow the relocating of CC's.

Problem solved with random spawns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not at all, as the primary issue is how close available random spawn positions are.
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Mendasp, please work faster. Cut work/school and get this done. Your boss/teacher will understand the importance of this and he/she won´t mind. Trust me.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1935600:date=May 12 2012, 10:50 AM:name=Scrajm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scrajm @ May 12 2012, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1935600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mendasp, please work faster. Cut work/school and get this done. Your boss/teacher will understand the importance of this and he/she won´t mind. Trust me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seems legit Mendasp!

Also I approve of this compromise on the removal of close spawns, as you very well know ;)

Wondering how this would work on Mineshaft though... Map is still too linear IMHO for random spawns, either it needs to go back to fixed spawns or it needs more of a circular design...
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I might finish the new version today, what's your preferred configuration for summit? This would be for the default .txt file I'll include

The two options I'm thinking about are either cross spawns as I've got them right now, which is the current summit without close spawns, or limited cross spawns (Sub/Atrium and Flight/DC).

The text files will be in JSON, this the file I'm using for testing right now if you want to see how they're going to be:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->[{
        "name":"Sub Access",
        "team":"both",
        "enemyspawns":
        [
            "Atrium",
            "Data Core"
        ]
    },
    {
        "name":"Data Core",
        "enemyspawns":    ["Flight Control"]
    },
    {
        "name":"Flight Control",
        "enemyspawns":    ["Data Core"]
    },
    {
        "name":"Atrium",
        "team":"aliens",
    }]<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117643" target="_blank">Released</a>.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Awesome, thank you for making the time to do this Mendasp!
    The mod is included with Insight now, so when you're running a server with Insight you only need to have the .txt files in the map folder and that's it. I have a separate zip file with sample configurations because of this.

The version for "normal" servers has also been out for a while, but I haven't received any feedback on the mod at all.

Anyways, has there been any discussion about the kind of spawns wanted? Because I haven't seen much use of the mod...
  • MooJrMooJr Join Date: 2011-10-18 Member: 128100Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    fantastic stuff. cant wait to see how this works out.
    I updated this for 209, in case anyone out there is interested.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yes please link it.
    edited May 2012
    The link is in my sig, but I'll copy the links here too, I guess:

<a href="http://www.mendasp.net/stuff/RandomSpawns_v211.zip" target="_blank">Download v2.1.1</a>
    <a href="http://www.duplexgaming.co.uk/downloads/mods/90/mapper_defined_random_spawns/" target="_blank">Download @ Duplexgaming.co.uk</a>

Insight includes this mod now, so when you use that, you'll only need the configuration files for the server.
    <a href="http://www.mendasp.net/stuff/RandomSpawns-configs.zip" target="_blank">Download default configs only (for Insight)</a>. Unzip the ones you want in your maps folder.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117643" target="_blank">Check out the thread for more info</a>.