[Project] Random map generator

2»

Comments

• subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    This would be a huge step towards realism in the game.
    Now marines and aliens both need to learn the new surroundings they're in. Off course, marines can download the minimap from the command station and alien bacterium drew one for the aliens.
  • Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1936939:date=May 18 2012, 12:28 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ May 18 2012, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This would be a huge step towards realism in the game.
    Now marines and aliens both need to learn the new surroundings they're in. Off course, marines can download the minimap from the command station and alien bacterium drew one for the aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not only that if u guys can get this thing to work properly and be even half effective this would be a MASSIVE step forward in the genre, I dont know of ANY modern FPS shooter of this complexity (or even a quater of the complexity) that has a random map generator. If this works its gonna make this game stand out a hell of a lot from the crowd even further than it already does. Just gotta get it to work lol. :)
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1936378:date=May 15 2012, 05:42 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 15 2012, 05:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1936378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tried some stuff in matlab, just for fun.

I give two profiles, one for hallways and one for rooms, and then the thing just extrude the profile and switch from room to hallway randomly (after a minimal length is reached):

Now one should add some kind of splitting behavior to add new hallways to the rooms, and close up the whole thing together, but it's not so easy to do I guess.

That's a really fun problem to play with, but I'm not sure I have the time to, I also need to work ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mind posting the source? Love me some MATLAB code.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited May 2012
    For the past week or so Ive been wondering if spark can do something like this but not for NS2 rather for a total mod idea am trying to put together, this would be totally awsome if it can be done. Can we get any confirmation from the devs that something like this can be worked out or does it need alot of changes in how the engine work?
    can the engine load a hole map by picking from different room, coridor and cave etc sets that are pre made?
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1938082:date=May 22 2012, 05:10 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ May 22 2012, 05:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mind posting the source? Love me some MATLAB code.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure, if I don't forget, I will do that tomorrow (don't have the code here).
    <!--quoteo(post=1938128:date=May 22 2012, 04:23 AM:name=Jibrail)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jibrail @ May 22 2012, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the past week or so Ive been wondering if spark can do something like this but not for NS2 rather for a total mod idea am trying to put together, this would be totally awsome if it can be done. Can we get any confirmation from the devs that something like this can be worked out or does it need alot of changes in how the engine work?
    can the engine load a hole map by picking from different room, coridor and cave etc sets that are pre made?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If spark cannot do it, we can always have an external program generate maps that then get imported into Spark. This would mean no on the fly map generation while people wait in a lobby, but could still lead to interesting maps.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    There is a way to make props and geometry dynamically appear and disappear. I'm not sure it can be used for this right now, but I wanted to share what I found with anyone interested. This is all without any testing yet, just all of the information I could find.

Take a look at "UpdateRelevancy" (a mask defining what players can see, able to make props completely disappear) for props and Client.SetGroupIsVisible() for geometry. I'm not sure how these affect physics, so you may have to use some physics functions like adding a new PhysicsGroup that doesn't collide with anything and using self:SetPhysicsGroup() dynamically or Shared.PreLoadSetGroupPhysicsId() on map pre-load.
    I'm not sure whether we can move props dynamically in-game (should be possible with some hacking, but probably not in lua), but these functions should at least give us the opportunity to create a map where lots of rooms are on top of each other and we can dynamically make a certain set appear or disappear. You would need to make the map grid-based and give every room a unique group name with the grid position added to it and then do some string manipulation to strip the position and then select one of the versions randomly, making a certain path through the grid. I'm not sure how to actually "get" the group name in the lua code, though, if that is even possible.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    @Ryne, here my matlab code, things are in main.m

<a href="http://www.filedropper.com/randomlevel" target="_blank">http://www.filedropper.com/randomlevel</a>

We should try to ask for a text format next dev's Q&A.
    <!--quoteo(post=1938411:date=May 23 2012, 04:59 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 23 2012, 04:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1938411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@Ryne, here my matlab code, things are in main.m

<a href="http://www.filedropper.com/randomlevel" target="_blank">http://www.filedropper.com/randomlevel</a>

We should try to ask for a text format next dev's Q&A.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks! I missed this post with the link until today. I will take a look soon, the pictures you have in it look promising.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This would be so amazing!
    Too bad it seems to be harder then removing the stench off a pile of feces.
    :(