Natural Selection 2 News Update - Live Developer Q&A No. 1

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Live Developer Q&A No. 1 here

Comments

• Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    The Q&A was so short, it felt. I wish there had been a system of rating the questions we wanted answered, as viewers, the most.
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1934640:date=May 8 2012, 10:28 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ May 8 2012, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Q&A was so short, it felt. I wish there had been a system of rating the questions we wanted answered, as viewers, the most.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There will be more in the future
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1934640:date=May 8 2012, 09:28 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ May 8 2012, 09:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Q&A was so short, it felt. I wish there had been a system of rating the questions we wanted answered, as viewers, the most.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The point is that it was <b>live and unorganised</b>...a system of community rated question usually takes time to organise etc...

This format of dev Q&A works for its intended purpose, so you/we have to be there on the live interview for a chance of your question being answered.
    I was there, I just wish we could have given the devs an idea of what we wanted answered the most. There were a lot of questions thrown about that people might have wanted certain ones answered more than others.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    edited May 2012
    Free stuff for Gorge here to stay?

Basically killed Gorge for me now, don't think i'll ever Gorge again :(

I should clarify that it's not necessarily the structures being free that I don't like, it's the consequences of it, which is a hard cap on the amount of hydras he can build and also how they die when the gorge dies. I can't see this being changed while they are still free because then there are more problems..
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    was great, its live.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I already feel like every day on these forums is a developer Q&A, but it was nice to see the developers clarifying their stances in a conversational format.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    Overall I liked it, laughed a lot, you guys are funny;

- Exosuit model finished, has some awesome animation with the cockpit coming up when you get in it or something
    - "Vortex" Fade ability, suck marines in to a vortex o_o
    - Secret NS1 -> NS2 map in the works! first I heard about that
    - new map soon! hooray
    - "quite a number of new maps in development"
    - Shift coming maybe next patch or the one after?!
    - Lerk poison dart
    - Gorge "spider"? ability
    - Onos primal scream / Skulk xenocide
    - New menu soon and is apparently awesome
  • fenrir1179fenrir1179 Join Date: 2011-11-05 Member: 131263Members
    sweet...
    new menu!! last weapon used!?... :)
    xenocide + celerity launch the missles!!!
    I am sad to hear devoure won't be in .. I thought it would be kewl if you had a welder and you're devoured you could damage the onos before you die making his regen uneffective... I&S yeah yeah
    gewd stuff all in all
    Follow up question: Will the new menu also bring a new interface to the HUD?
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    edited May 2012
    <a href="http://youtu.be/4RsM4J7sXz8?t=29m" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/4RsM4J7sXz8?t=29m</a>

love that reaction flayra :P

edit: 29 mins in btw, youtube deep links are acting weird for me, not going to the same spot each time i click the link....
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    Loved the Q&A guys, looking forward to next weeks!

*PS. Be ware of the red light.
  • Albe23Albe23 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149272Members
    I really dig this concept, it helps you connect with your fans/community better. Also, you should give us a tour of the facilities.....
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh You TEASE what with the last minute info on abilities? EVIL and the wait...

Great Q&A
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    as for tracking stats, i noticed there are a lot of strong oppinions especially about kill-death e.g. several people (including me) perceive tracking it as a threat to teamplay.
    there are some interesting points for both sides and of course this is for UWE to decide in the end. all i want to say is: please think about this carefully! for those people who care a lot about stats, the choice of tracked stats might greatly influence their behaviour in the game.
    here is internetexplorer's thread about understanding kill-death-ratios which stirred up quite some emotions (9500 views):
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117168" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=117168</a>
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    Text summary...
    (tho i still suggest to watch the video, if there is stuff you are unhappy about - i really tried to make it short, so it might be better to listen to the real thing)

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Exo?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    The model is done, ppl are working on it, tho still unclear when it will come into the game.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>What are you planning to do with the Flamethrower?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    "I dont know, I dont see anything wrong with the flamethrower atm" "...it could properly use some tuning...?!"

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>How modeable will the game be?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Ns2 is aimed to be the most modable game ever.
    Thats why it is coded in lua.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Why GL as attachment instead of individual weapon?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Once you had the GL in ns1 you were basically helpless against skulks, so it got changed for ns2.
    Tho it might be a bit too powerful in ns2 and be against the design goal of the game, because of not really having a tradeoff over the rifle. One thing shouldnt make another obsolete.
    Not sure if they are going to do anything about it, they are considering it.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Fade Maelstrom and some other ability i couldnt understand?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Maelstrom is now called Vortex, its still in the thinking process... It could be something like "When Fade dissapears he creats a vortex and ppl can get sucked into it."

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Lerk lift?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Create a mod, it wont get into the offical build.
    The future autodownload of mods and map files will take care of it => usefriendly... When you join a server it will just install it and you can have it in the game.
    They are going to make sure ppl know what mods are active on what server before they join.
    NS2 will use STEAM WORKSHOP!
    "thats how serious we are about modding."

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Autodownload?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Not next build, but its comming...

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Will welders weld doors and vents?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Very unlikly for vents, but doors is planned. (It already is in the code in some form, but not activated)
    Low priority atm to bring it into the game - there is tons of other stuff they want to do before adding it.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Riding skulks?
    Nope.

[color="#FF8C00"][b]Onos door smash?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    When welding doors comes in it will come too. Its already coded and works.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Babblers?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    They are kinda working also, but not ready for release...
    Will be smaller than the ones in ns1, and will be available trough the mature crag.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Onos devour?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    "You have devour - everyone complains about it, you remove devour - everyone complains about it, common give us a break! :>"
    Most ppl seem to complain about taking away control...
    -> Read Design FAQ about the topic of taking away control of players.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Will energy scale with teamsize?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    "NO! It will break the whole thing..." Energy is based of structures, structures are based of tres and tres doesnt scale.
    THe whole point if tres is that it doesnt scale.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Riding on ARCS?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    That sounds like a good mod...

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Free stuff for gorges are here to stay?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    It most likly will
    "i think its working pretty well"
    "It will need some more tuning, he may have too many structures, or may not have enough to do but Player structures cant cost pres"

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Exo weapons?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Claw - smash and throw aliens backwards
    Minigun
    Plasma/railgun?

Maybe the option to dual wield.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Whats the Redlight? (there was a red light visible in their office - webcam)</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Bathroom light.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Dynamic infestation?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Its still planned to get it in before 1.0, worse case is that it might come closly after.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>What dev task are low priority that modders could start working on for uwe?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    It might come out wrong, but optimization... Currently they are intensly focusing on the C++ code, so there is plenty you could do on improving the lua code. They are focusing on the C++ code, because they try to make it so that strong lua optimizations might not be needed anymore. They would love that ppl wont have to worry too much how they write their lua code particulary.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>First-Person view for eggs?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    It will come, but they are waiting on transparency first.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Separated sound channels - Voice, Gamesounds etc.?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Brian is working on the new main menu atm (maybe next build), once its finished they are free to add tons of more options.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Ns1 map in ns2?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    There is one upcomming (i think its ns2_veil if im not mistaken)

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Server favourite options?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    => After the new main menu is done... you might see a lot of that stuff getting added.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>What are your overall thought of the balance of the game?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    While it is the most balanced build by statistics right now, it still needs a lot of work/change.
    Definitely not happy with how a lot of stuff works atm etc.
    Charlies focus atm is the high level Aliengame.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Will Ns2 work with steamfriends and invites?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    It already does.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>How do you look at ns1 today - goods and bads?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    accesability, scaleability, not enough clear defined roles for aliens etc.
    Plan is to fix everything charlies wasnt happy about in ns1 in ns2.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Alien movement chamber, press E to move from hive to hive?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    The ns2 movement chamber wont have that.
    But Celerity will come, different to ns1 - a bit less efficienct in combat, and more to get from hive to hive very fast etc. They didnt really want to have something similar to marine phasegates.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Linux server?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Will come.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Will there be water in the game?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    No, or at least very very very far down the pipe(so i guess maybe at some point after 1.0?) - they want to focus and really important stuff first, water is something you can live without - its not worth holding up ns2 for it.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Ns2 Linux client?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    No! Maybe? at some point?... its very likly they will work on making a mac client at some point in the future, and after that is done, it would be a lot easier to work on a linux client... it possible.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Something about DLC that i couldnt understand, 3 different colors for explosions?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Unlikly.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Aliens ability look around while evolving?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    You can look around your egg...

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>What are you planning to do with onos stomp?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Its pretty decent... It should disrupt you and not mean more or less autodeath/delayed death, thats something that is bugging them a bit still..

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Shift?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Pretty soon... means, in the next 1-2 patches.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Adrenaline?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Wont come in...

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>HMG?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Will come in form of the exo minigun.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Will there be a option to adjust color saturation?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Not per se.
    We are doing this dynamic in the game, color correction etc.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>How long until anti-cheat?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Not yet a very big priority...
    Very likly that they implement VAC at some point.
    (Sidenote by me: In case charlie reads this, no we cant use punkbuster - devs need to contact evenbalance, you need a contract => it costs money)

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>What are your marketing plans for 1.0?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Trough the community spreading the word, by making a game ppl love and want to play. Steam. Also visiting conferences -> press, but they are not planning to make some special ads or stuff like that...

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Matchmaking?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    They are looking at the valve matchmaking and would love to put that in the game, charlie is currently looking into tracking what stats to track by players => tons of data for beatiful graphs statistiks etc.
    So very likly they will do matchmaking. "Its very important for a game like ns..."
    (but it might not hit 1.0)

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Elo ranking?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Maybe longer term, we dont need that for 1.0, tho definitely something they would love to have in the game at some point.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Will devs play with us in public games?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    "We already do that..."
    But they are using spoof names a lot etc.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Ns radio integration mod?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Would be awesome, but it would need to be a lot cleaner to be official...

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Will there be another tournament?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    There will be lots of tournaments, Hugh/Ns2hd/Strayan says that he would love to do one for the beta at some point.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Why the hard push for the summer release date?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Its time, they will be ready, finances etc.
    Also version 1.0 doesnt mean the end, "its just the beginning."
    => lots of features etc. that can and will come after 1.0

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Rebinding commander keys?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Yes, will come. May not be in the first patch the new menu comes in but its 100% planned.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>NS2 getting into MLG?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    We need your help to do that => community effort...

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>When can we expect new maps?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Guess within a month one new map will be released. (currently putting on finishing touches etc)

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>When are the tier 3 abilitys comming?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Cant really answer when, but its relative late ~1,5-2months, maybe more, maybe less.
    Fade - Vortex
    Lerk - maybe "Poison Dart"
    Gorge - maybe "Spider"
    Onos - Primal Scream
    Skulk - Xenocite
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 1970-01-01 Member:
    I really liked it (the youtube video) even though I missed it unfortunately.

I hope you'll really do it once a week, it's a great way to build a stronger bridge between the devs and the community.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1934711:date=May 9 2012, 04:51 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ May 9 2012, 04:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Text summary...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks!
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    edited May 2012
    Nice video! Good information and nice features coming up. I know a tiny band-aid for the nade launcher problem: instead of getting 50% ammo refilled with every armory "tick", reduce it to 25% or less, like maybe even one grenade. I think that'd help reduce the endless nade spam to a hive when there's an armory and GL-marine(s) near one.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Please keep the Q&A live, it's so much better that way. Yea there are lots of questions to sift through but Hugh did a good job of selecting them.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    19:30 gmt is 20:30 where i live!

so ns2 primetime = YES!!
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Suggestion for the GL problem:

-Add a standalone and dedicated GL!
    -Make the GL-attachment (GL-A) a weaker type of attack!

The "main" GL would be the hard-hitter/demolition, with long fuse-time, long range and large damage - just like in NS1!
    The current GL-A would be a weaker type tactical-support with short fuse; and thereby short range, and with smaller damage.
    Then there's a bunch of tweaks I personally would like to do to the GL-A, that might be some brainstorming for you...

-Maybe make it explode on contact (like GL-A was when first introduced into ns2).
    This would definitely differentiate the two GL:s, the demolitions GL would have the classic ns1 explode-on-contact-with-enemy and be more used as a siege-weapon.
    While the tactical GL-A would (with appriate dmg ofc) be much more practical versus lifeforms.
    -As far as structure-dmg goes, have it only be effective against "small" structures, basically hydras+cysts (maybe a little less vs hydras).
    -Versus players, it shouldn't 1-shot a skulk!
    Maybe 2 shot skulk when no upg, w1 makes it 1-shot skulk, cara makes it 2-shot again, w2 makes it 1-shot again. This way there would be an arms-race between the two. Tradeoffs.
    -Maybe have it be less effective vs onos (but in return he's MUCH easier to hit and target-magnet), and only slightly less effective vs fade, because both are "bigger" lifeforms. Skulk/gorge/lerk/ take full dmg.

As far as free and hard-limited buildings go... which is completely ******* ...it now seems it hasn't to do with UWE's lack in good game design, but is forced to be implemented because of lacking server/game performance "in long games" when they would be spammed.
    BUT
    Kham can and DOES spam buildings anyway in such games, there's whips ALL OVER! Filling the hallways. And plenty of groups with many crags + shade + several whips.
    So UWE, you'd have to hard-limit those too!
    And what about hard limiting marines to only having 2 bases?
    Because 3-4 bases can also happen in such long games, you'd have to implement max:
    2cc, 6ip, 4 armories, 2 arms, ~10 sentries, 4 obs, 2 robo, 2 proto ...etc etc.
    Do you see what mess you've put yourselves in by changing the gorge like that?
    Really, what is the problem, in long games, when gorge players put stuff everywhere?
    <b>It's just PURE HEAVENLY JOY to GL or ARC the ###### out of the alien infestation!!!!</b> It gives such satisfaction and heightened team morale, plus you know it's demoralizing for aliens to lose territory.
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    In a game where marines are supposed to stick together Flayra has a problem with the NS1 GL'er needing teammates to fend off skulks? :/ It is all beginning to make sense to me now.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Yea that GL-stuff was a bit of face-palm moment. He also stated he considers it very realistic for a mod to be able to eclipse NS2-vanilla in terms of popularity, the way things have gone lately he is certainly doing his best to make that happen.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    I like the sound of gorge getting a spider. I imagine it'll be a small creature the gorge can control remotely to make webs, scout, and bother marines.
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not finnished listening yet, nor read the thread, but got to put it here or I would forget.

Suggestion for GL: make it not just a straight upgrade from rifle, making it different, by:

<b>Dedicated Explosive weapon</b> <i>not an attachment</i>

<b>Primary fire</b>: Shoot current grenades

<b>Secondary fire</b>: explode a grenade but doesn't fire it, triggering a directional, point-blank explosion. Deals higher damage in a small cone, but drop of quickly (full damage for maybe 1 meter, then down to no damage in the next 1 meter).

That makes it able to kill skulks, while not taking over the SG role due to slower fire and very short range.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    GL grenade = primary attack, secondary attack = riflebutt

there you go, ability to help fend off skulks and not OP
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2012
    Thanks for the text summary, Koruyo.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Linux server?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Will come.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

.... when? This should be a top priority <i>and</i> definitively be finished before the final ships.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Onos devour?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    "You have devour - everyone complains about it, you remove devour - everyone complains about it, common give us a break! :>"
    Most ppl seem to complain about taking away control...
    -> Read Design FAQ about the topic of taking away control of players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Imo. Player Knockdown is way more annoying than devour ever was. Devour was one of the unique things that made NS1 so fun for me. :/

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Adrenaline?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Wont come in...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why? Adrenaline was one of the abilities I was looking forward to see in NS2 again the most. :/

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Matchmaking?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    They are looking at the valve matchmaking and would love to put that in the game, charlie is currently looking into tracking what stats to track by players => tons of data for beatiful graphs statistiks etc.
    So very likly they will do matchmaking. "Its very important for a game like ns..."
    (but it might not hit 1.0)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh god, <i>please</i> no. I still have nightmares about the horrible L4D matchmaking system.
    A good server list with a lot of options and filters will do just fine.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro--><b>Why the hard push for the summer release date?</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Its time, they will be ready, finances etc.
    Also version 1.0 doesnt mean the end, "its just the beginning."
    => lots of features etc. that can and will come after 1.0<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess we can just wait and see if that was such a good idea. I really do hope UWE surprises us and proves my pessimism wrong.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The GL question was mine and man has that been bothering me for a while. It was good to hear they were thinking about the problems with it.

I understand they don't want GLers to be helpless but as it is right now the GL is too strong and they get the added benefit of an automatic rifle (thus giving no real downsides). I'd like to see the dedicated GL come back and have a secondary attack of a rifle butt or even fire an "unarmed" grenade at a higher velocity (kind of like a slug).