Help, I can't play!

TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Choke/Hanging in the last 2 builds preventing play.</div>In the last two builds I'm getting really bad choke and hanging issues. I will frequently (between 2-15 seconds) completely lagout. The choke will usually jump to 50-100% especially on the long hangs, but sometimes stays at 0%. I will lag out between .25-3 seconds. This clearly makes the game unplayable as almost every fight starts or end with me hanging in the air helpless and then dead.

I followed NS1 for a couple years before release and bought NS2 the first day I could because I owed it to UWE. It's my favorite game in the whole world and I can't play :( If anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what specs you might need. I run on a marginal processor at 15-25 FPS (I'm ok with that, I can deal) with settings maxed because it looks better and doesn't affect my FPS at all (New video card). I've always had this problem a little bit but in the past 2 builds it's gotten so bad that after 30 minutes I just apologize to my team and leave. It's pure frustration.

3 gigs ram
2.4 Dual core (no clocking)
Radeon HD 6670

Comments

• HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    You already mentioned it but your CPU really does not fit to your new graphic card... I can imagine it's also a bottleneck in many other games. If the GPU has to wait for CPU you don't take advantage of the full potential of your graphic card.

This post might not be wan't you want to hear but you certainly will never have any good FPS in NS2 with your processor. The clock speed is just to low. I guess your brand new graphic card is almost idling most of the time.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1933007:date=May 3 2012, 12:50 PM:name=Hackepeter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hackepeter @ May 3 2012, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You already mentioned it but your CPU really does not fit to your new graphic card... I can imagine it's also a bottleneck in many other games. If the GPU has to wait for CPU you don't take advantage of the full potential of your graphic card.

This post might not be wan't you want to hear but you certainly will never have any good FPS in NS2 with your processor. The clock speed is just to low. I guess your brand new graphic card is almost idling most of the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Really? He doesn't even state what kind of CPU he has (2.4GHz Athlon XP vs 2.4GHz i3/5). The 6670 isn't exactly top notch either. It's actually slower than my 4 year old HD 4850, which does have problems in newer games (and also in NS2). If it's a 2.4GHz i5, I'd rather say the graphics card doesn't fit, especially if you consider turbo boost and that most games are GPU bound.

It doesn't really matter though, he should still be able to play without severe lagspikes.
    I could imagine it's actually a network problem. Do you have a router? It might not be able to keep up with NS2. WiFi is also always a suspect.

<i>(I actually have a similar problem in NS1, with a 0.5-1sec network hang/lagspike every X seconds, where X strangely enough varies by max_fps.)</i>
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    Yeah. The terrible FPS I understand and can deal with (and have been for several months of playing.) This is NOT a complaint about FPS. I'm def not on WiFi (hard-line for lyfe!), what should I be doing to monitor my network to identify a potential problem with my connection? Although I don't have this problem in other games such as TF2, maybe I do now...time to fire it up for some trouble shootin.
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1933081:date=May 3 2012, 04:07 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ May 3 2012, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? He doesn't even state what kind of CPU he has (2.4GHz Athlon XP vs 2.4GHz i3/5). The 6670 isn't exactly top notch either. It's actually slower than my 4 year old HD 4850, which does have problems in newer games (and also in NS2). If it's a 2.4GHz i5, I'd rather say the graphics card doesn't fit, especially if you consider turbo boost and that most games are GPU bound.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, yes. Maybe I was to AMDish about the clock rates. I'm not really used to the performance of the Intel CPUs. I just know that many folks running does at much higher frequencies then specified to get NS2 smooth. But the 6670 itself should be capable of running NS2.

<!--quoteo(post=1933081:date=May 3 2012, 04:07 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ May 3 2012, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could imagine it's actually a network problem. Do you have a router? It might not be able to keep up with NS2. WiFi is also always a suspect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Easy way to figure that out. Start a local server and see if you experience the same effects, despite the reduced performance due to running the server of course.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Check your firewall if it likes NS2. Maybe deactivate the antivirus, sometimes they give a false positive.
    And cheack the Serverrate, net_stats in console, if it drops below 20 rubberbanding can happen.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I'll check with my firewall. I use netstats and get the hanging at 30ticks.