Gorges Not Gettin "Hitmarkers" From Hydras

SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Please give them back</div>"Hitmarkers" for gorges' hydras have now been removed in this build. I strongly feel this should come back because as a gorge, this gives you a head up on when marines are at your Hydras which can be crucial knowledge. Please please bring this back as it is a very important aspect of the game. Oh btw, even worse moving target tracking? You can't spam them anymore? two can't even defend against a 1-minute marine anymore? Any one else have a problem with this?

Comments

• paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932823:date=May 2 2012, 05:23 PM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ May 2 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any one else have a problem with this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. I do :( stop nerfing the Gorge please :(
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932826:date=May 2 2012, 08:26 PM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ May 2 2012, 08:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes. I do :( stop nerfing the Gorge please :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seconded. I thought we were one hydra lifetime nerf away from having the Gorge really well balanced.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Careful tech, paradoxum doesnt like that change, either. :-P
    Isn't the variance of opinion in the community astounding?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i kept it at first intentionally until i found out that this is by design a 'bug'. when you think about it: you are on the other side of the map, your hit indicator appears. what does that mean? actually nothing, you cannot profit from it, and the enemy would anyway show up on hive sight, so the alerting for your team already happened anyway. the only compromise i see here would be to show the hit indication when you are close to the hydra, but hide it when you are far away (= does not matter to you), but i don't get how the hit indicator (or missing of that) would nerf/buff the gorge now? i don't see why this is important right now. maybe something to consider once exosuit and other important stuff is in?
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932850:date=May 2 2012, 10:49 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ May 2 2012, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i kept it at first intentionally until i found out that this is by design a 'bug'. when you think about it: you are on the other side of the map, your hit indicator appears. what does that mean? actually nothing, you cannot profit from it, and the enemy would anyway show up on hive sight, so the alerting for your team already happened anyway. the only compromise i see here would be to show the hit indication when you are close to the hydra, but hide it when you are far away (= does not matter to you), but i don't get how the hit indicator (or missing of that) would nerf/buff the gorge now? i don't see why this is important right now. maybe something to consider once exosuit and other important stuff is in?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is because you don't play the game. And this is a big issue, dev's that don't play there game. And playtesting is not playing the game. The dev's need to start playing the game. Or bring someone on with a clue that can play the game and will understand the game. Not on a pc screen or on paper.
  • TheIcarusKidTheIcarusKid Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149258Members
    Why does everyone assume the devs don't play the game? Hate to be white-knighting here, but give the devs a break. Yes, each build has serious and significant problems, but sometimes you have to throw out radical changes to the community as a whole and see what happens. For every problem with a release, we get a bit closer to the final result.

Threads like these are great, when they do throw out an idea that doesn't work we need to all raise hell about it. But if the devs played as much as the rest of us, we would NEVER get exos. :)
    Again when you are a game maker you have a game plan. There is not one here. It's just tossing random stuff and going well opps that didn't work....
  • {LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932857:date=May 2 2012, 09:05 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ May 2 2012, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again when you are a game maker you have a game plan. There is not one here. It's just tossing random stuff and going well opps that didn't work....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What experience do you have with game design, exactly? I'd give more thought to what you said if it didn't seem like you saw a developer posting in the thread then slammed all your discontent with the change on him.
    edited May 2012
    Never made a game in my life. But when you plan on doing something you map out the plan to do it? We are told this is a beta. Ive been in beta's (Dota2 , BF3) the games at the time had pretty much everything in and working. They did have there bugs. This is a Alpha getting closer to a beta.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932856:date=May 2 2012, 07:02 PM:name=TheIcarusKid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheIcarusKid @ May 2 2012, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why does everyone assume the devs don't play the game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've watched flayra(I think it was him anyway, can't remember) being interviewed by strayan and he says himself that they hardly play the game and that they rely on the players / playtesters for feedback
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i don't know who told you i don't play the game :) i possibly play it more than you do
    <!--quoteo(post=1932880:date=May 2 2012, 11:45 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ May 2 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i don't know who told you i don't play the game :) i possibly play it more than you do<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ive got 879 and counting. And that's just playing the game since 180.

What's yours? Playing and then testing.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Jucci-Pucci.

This is a warning. You can voice your grievances with the game, but at the moment you are spamming up multiple threads with very nonconstructive and confrontational posts which are not related to any specific issues, and you are really trying my patience.

The devs all play the game quite frequently, as well as watching recordings of competitive matches, and if we played any more then we already do, we would not be able to get a reasonable amount of development done on the game.

Now get back to some form of actual relevant discussion, or you can take a break from the forums for a bit.

--Cory
    i don't really feel i have to respond to this, but just for the sake of getting rid of any those questions in future:

i played ns2 1191 hours since alpha was released (started as customer after i became a dev later)
    <!--quoteo(post=1932895:date=May 3 2012, 12:04 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 3 2012, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932895"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jucci-Pucci.

This is a warning. You can voice your grievances with the game, but at the moment you are spamming up multiple threads with very nonconstructive and confrontational posts which are not related to any specific issues, and you are really trying my patience.

The devs all play the game quite frequently, as well as watching recordings of competitive matches, and if we played any more then we already do, we would not be able to get a reasonable amount of development done on the game.

Now get back to some form of actual relevant discussion, or you can take a break from the forums for a bit.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A warning.... you gonna put me over your lap and spank me? Sound's kinky,but im not that type of boy. Clearly you can't voice your self to far. There is a limit. Or your banned or kicked. This is becoming a reg thing on the forums, maybe there is a reason. But sure ill cool down a lil till next patch.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932863:date=May 2 2012, 09:16 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ May 2 2012, 09:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Never made a game in my life. But when you plan on doing something you map out the plan to do it? We are told this is a beta. Ive been in beta's (Dota2 , BF3) the games at the time had pretty much everything in and working. They did have there bugs. This is a Alpha getting closer to a beta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not only are these massive game companies with lots of developers and testers, my understanding is that those kind of "betas" seem to be done more for promotional purposes to generate hype for the game. There may be a few outstanding bugs, but they're pretty much release-ready. I remember playing the Starcraft 2 beta, and it was pretty much the same as it was on release day.

Just because your experiences with big-company betas don't match your experiences here, doesn't mean that it isn't a beta.

As one of the developers pointed out, this is non-constructive. They're ironing out things the best they can with limited resources. If you don't want to be part of that, wait until the official release and complain then.

As for the point about developers not playing the game, you're assuming things. They probably play every now and then when they have the time (beyond playtesting sessions), as you kinda have to in order to develop an understanding of what they're making. However, they probably don't play it as much as the more regular players here simply because they don't have the time. That doesn't mean they don't play it at all. I would rather they spend more time developing rather than horsing around in the game they've made, wouldn't you? Besides, from what I gather, they've been quite active in the forums listening to feedback and applying that feedback to future releases. What more do you want?

Anyway, back to the topic of gorges. Hydras were overpowered and needed to be nerfed. This may make gorges underpowered again, but it needed to be done, and further changes will most likely be made to make the gorge useful again, but not at the expense of keeping hydras OP. As for the idea of keeping hitmarkers in, that's completely ridiculous. It was clearly a bug, and you have a map anyway.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think instead of a hit notice, it'd be better to have the status of your buildings (maybe just hydras?) somehow displayed on your screen, similar to the engineer's stuff in TF2. something just like an organic image of your hydras that updates with the status of the hydra so if:
    the hydra detects marines nearby you'd see them "looking around" as they do
    the hydra is attacking you'd see them attacking
    the hydra is being attacked it'd flash red

there'd also be the health and maturity of your hydras.

Initially this wasn't necessary since you could have more hydras with more hives, but now that there's a hard limit it seems like your hydras should be considered similar to your children. you want to take care of them and stay up to date on what they're up to, if they're going to all their classes and staying out of trouble and whatnot.
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932906:date=May 3 2012, 05:27 AM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ May 3 2012, 05:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A warning.... you gonna put me over your lap and spank me? Sound's kinky,but im not that type of boy. Clearly you can't voice your self to far. There is a limit. Or your banned or kicked. This is becoming a reg thing on the forums, maybe there is a reason. But sure ill cool down a lil till next patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Making baseless claims about the devs, what they have planned out or the way they spend their time doesn't help anyone.

I don't agree with everything that gets changed. And when I don't, I try to voice concerns about those things. I try to suggest alternatives or whatnot and see how others respond to them. Why? Because when I paid 40 bucks, I already believed in UWE's capability to make this a fun game. They're releasing <i>weekly</i> updates based on the feedback and suggestions made in the past few weeks, they're more in touch with the community than just about any other development team I've seen and most of all: seem focused on making what they have planned out already be fun before it's even finished. They could very well just ignore all the ###### and moaning happening on the boards and throw together the ideas that work in more limited playtesting, but they're using the feedback every week to make the unfinished game more fun to play. Why? I can only assume because it's they appreciate us, who gave money for a promise, just as much as we appreciate them.

I know, My block of text got into a bit of a rant, but I felt the need to type this.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932850:date=May 3 2012, 11:49 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ May 3 2012, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i kept it at first intentionally until i found out that this is by design a 'bug'. when you think about it: you are on the other side of the map, your hit indicator appears. what does that mean? actually nothing<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It means your Hydras are shooting something, and with the current reasoning that Hydras are one of the gorge's attacks/abilities rather than the independent structures they were once designed as, there has been no better time for their hits to show up for the player. Showing it nearby and obfuscating at a distance doesn't seem necessary to me.

If not the hit reticule, then as someone else suggested further up perhaps a UI element that shows the current status of your structures. Health,Location(primarily due to the changes in the necessity to recycle)and whether or not they're engaged in combat for Hydras. Something similar to the Insight mod's player loadout icons might be nice, but I'm no UI designer, just a player that would appreciate some in game feedback and information :).
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2012
    The reasoning behind the hydra hitmarker bug being fixed is because when you weren't a gorge and another lifeform, lets say a skulk (even if hydras die in 1 minute, also was quite annoying on a gorge as well, especially spitting), you would start to bite someone and notice a hit marker would show, and would be deceiving if you were actually hitting the marine or not, hence it was fixed.

Something like TF2 sentry hits (sound feedback) could be used here when you are the gorge, but really, you should have a general idea when your hydras are attacking or not, (they are moving!)

EDIT: I edit a lot lol
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932923:date=May 3 2012, 02:01 PM:name=Luitjens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luitjens @ May 3 2012, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reasoning behind the hydra hitmarker bug being fixed is because when you weren't a gorge and another lifeform, lets say a skulk (even if hydras die in 1 minute, that is not an excuse), you would start to bite someone and notice a hit marker would show, and would be deceiving if you were actually hitting the marine or not, hence it was fixed.

Something like TF2 sentry hits (sound feedback) could be used here when you are the gorge, but really, you should have a general idea when your hydras are attacking or not, (they are moving!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Knowing that they're attacking, assuming you're looking at them- yes. Knowing whether they're hitting- nope.

Now I understand the issue more however, and don't really have anything to suggest at the moment beyond my opinion that when in Gorge form- successful hydra attacks should be registered as hits.
  • PetcoPetco Join Date: 2003-07-27 Member: 18478Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1932850:date=May 2 2012, 05:49 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ May 2 2012, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i kept it at first intentionally until i found out that this is by design a 'bug'. when you think about it: you are on the other side of the map, your hit indicator appears. what does that mean? actually nothing, you cannot profit from it, and the enemy would anyway show up on hive sight, so the alerting for your team already happened anyway. the only compromise i see here would be to show the hit indication when you are close to the hydra, but hide it when you are far away (= does not matter to you), but i don't get how the hit indicator (or missing of that) would nerf/buff the gorge now? i don't see why this is important right now. maybe something to consider once exosuit and other important stuff is in?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could it be added as some sort of console command or option?
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Lets be honest; nobody cares if a hydra is attacking. That's the whole point, its static autonomous defence, its meant to be self sufficient in the attacking department. On the other hand, it would be really nice if the gorge was informed when his own hydras took damage. A bit of creativity would be required to make an intuitive and believable system for relaying this information though.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I liked the hit markers, most of the time it was the only way I could know my hydras were being useful.

Please add something to replace that feature.
This discussion has been closed.