The Clog

PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted GorgeRichmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
edited April 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Fun, but needs refinement</div>So I've tried my hand at crafting Clog huts and houses, and even though they excel at their role as blockades, I would like to see some changes from both aesthetics and gameplay.

Ideas off the top of my head:

- One grenade can get stuck inside a Clog at a time, and the Clog is destroyed. The explosion is contained within the Clog so nearby friendlies don't take splash damage.

- It would be neat if the Clog is a giant translucent heart-like organ, with pulmonary arteries and veins (or tentacles) on it. In fact, this reminds me of the old Sensory Chamber's bulb.

- Since it is a squishy organ, aliens can squeeze through it. The Clogs expand and harden so Marines can't pass through.

- Maybe inside there would be a glowing sphere, like most structures. Gorge street lamps anyone?

- Put a Clog on a Power Socket to prevent Power Node from materializing!

What are your ideas?

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I'd like to see Clogs resistant to axes by not being classified as structures. FT should absolutely tear through them though.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - Make them much much more resistant to damage, especially grenades
    --> Balance: adjacent clogs should take damage if a clog dies, basically some sort of "structual integrity" damage. If you pick out a part of the wall, you harm a part of the wall, but only sightly
    --> Make them weaker against flamethrowers

- Possibly should be available without Argumenation, they are totally not in line with lerp, blink, bile bomb and the onos stomp abilities

- Maybe a sightly higher amount to start with (15)

---
    On your ideas:

- That would add some skill to taking down clogs, like aming the nades infront of them, not just into them.

- Hm, no, i like the curret looks

- No, unless it's at the aliens will by pressing a key or something. Basically one of the great things about clogs are that you can build ladders, stairs and stuff like that

- Hm maybe, but it should not be emitting light. It already is fpsrape as it is, so having like 20 extra light sources isn't going to help..

- Sounds awesome :P
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see Clogs resistant to axes by not being classified as structures. FT should absolutely tear through them though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good idea, since Clogs are lumps of infestation, it would "like" a counter to infestation. Also currently, flames do spread to Cysts if you light its infestation up, so if it affects Clogs as well I wonder if that would be overkill...

<!--quoteo(post=1930385:date=Apr 26 2012, 12:57 PM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ Apr 26 2012, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Make them much much more resistant to damage, especially grenades
    --> Balance: adjacent clogs should take damage if a clog dies, basically some sort of "structual integrity" damage. If you pick out a part of the wall, you harm a part of the wall, but only sightly

- Possibly should be available without Argumenation, they are totally not in line with lerp, blink, bile bomb and the onos stomp abilities

- Maybe a sightly higher amount to start with (15)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) Agreed with Flamethrower! Although, I think Clogs falling due to gravity is already a good "structural integrity" downside.

2) This is interesting, because if we remove Mini-Cyst (confusing to both Comm. and Gorge that exceed Mini-Cyst limit = disconnected Cyst network), perhaps the Clog could become the default infestation spread method for the Gorge; it would be quite effective early game, and Gorge could always put little holes for the smaller lifeforms during that stage of gameplay.

3) No argument there, and hopefully the number of Clogs won't clog the server tick rate down :P
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hopefully they make it so goo walls can actually stop arc spam rushing up into your base.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1930439:date=Apr 26 2012, 02:56 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Apr 26 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hopefully they make it so goo walls can actually stop arc spam rushing up into your base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed. IMO, Cysts, Eggs, and Clogs as low priority targets for ARCs would be good, since nades and shotties already take care of them just fine.

Also, increase the build range please!
  • BlackopsBlackops Join Date: 2009-08-26 Member: 68610Members
    If you're smart about the little fort you build out of hydras and clogs, two gorges are pretty unstoppable. Make openings big enough for skulks, lerks and gorges to fit through and put hydras outside the wall and one or two inside to keep the marines from coming in.

It reminds me of the "forts" I used to build with blankets and chairs as a kid.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    So tell me, exactly what configuration of blocks makes it unstoppable to grenades?

Everything I've built so far has blown up.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1930083:date=Apr 26 2012, 04:13 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Apr 26 2012, 04:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I've tried my hand at crafting Clog huts and houses, and even though they excel at their role as blockades, I would like to see some changes from both aesthetics and gameplay.

Ideas off the top of my head:

- One grenade can get stuck inside a Clog at a time, and the Clog is destroyed. The explosion is contained within the Clog so nearby friendlies don't take splash damage.

- It would be neat if the Clog is a giant translucent heart-like organ, with pulmonary arteries and veins (or tentacles) on it. In fact, this reminds me of the old Sensory Chamber's bulb.

- Since it is a squishy organ, aliens can squeeze through it. The Clogs expand and harden so Marines can't pass through.

- Maybe inside there would be a glowing sphere, like most structures. Gorge street lamps anyone?

- Put a Clog on a Power Socket to prevent Power Node from materializing!

What are your ideas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

all of these things need to happen, UWE.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Make them much much more resistant to damage, especially grenades

- Possibly should be available without Argumenation, they are totally not in line with lerp, blink, bile bomb and the onos stomp abilities<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, though I'd say 10 to start off with is fine to be honest.
  • ShottyShotty Join Date: 2012-01-14 Member: 140416Members
    Make them withstand at least 5 grenades, maybe even 10 because once grenades are on the field clogs are useless.
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931502:date=Apr 29 2012, 04:08 PM:name=Shotty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shotty @ Apr 29 2012, 04:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make them withstand at least 5 grenades, maybe even 10 because once grenades are on the field clogs are useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They're free and you can place 10 per hive per gorge. 5-10 grenades? Really?