hive armor scaling

RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
edited April 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">and hide armor</div><!--QuoteBegin-Flayra+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Decided to forgo alien armor advantages per hive: in NS1, armor counted for 2 health with 1 hive, 3 health with 2 and 4 with 3. That was a hack and I was never happy with it. It’s not intuitive and hidden.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I still think this would be a good solution to scaling the aliens' strength as the match goes on. In particular the current free cara upgrade would start out weaker, yet grow stronger as the aliens expand. Half a team going onos would mean less without map domination, yet even one onos would get a defensive advantage if the aliens manage to get several hives. Many players don't know about light/normal/... damage, which already function similarly. Hide armor is an even weirder thing because of how it interacts with weapon upgrades.

What does everyone think about armor scaling (in NS2)?

edit: To clarify, not specifically with those numbers.

Comments

• WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    I think scaling should apply to the maturuity of the hive rather than the number of hives.

Make it more intuitive by scaling the base lifeform skulk. As the hive matures the skulk gets bigger. Start the skulk off smaller and leaner like NS1 and as the hive matures he gets bigger and bulkier like it's current state.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    It makes sense to make the aliens stronger the more hives you make.

I think its good for the asymmetri that aliens get upgraded through more bases than just upgrades on a building.
    The advantage could include more health, better economy and maybe damage.

At the moment alien expansion isnt needed at all to win the game. Never more than two hives.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929575:date=Apr 25 2012, 03:16 AM:name=Skuggan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skuggan @ Apr 25 2012, 03:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It makes sense to make the aliens stronger the more hives you make.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. how is it not intuitive? it's the complete opposite - people would naturally expect to get stronger when they have more hives.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited April 2012
    The non-intuitive element UWE are talking about is due to the fact that Marines really know when Kharaa get a hive up. Suddenly it takes 13 bullets to kill a Skulk, but you don't know if you're shooting worse, if they've gotten faster, if they evolved Carapace, or if they just got another hive.

Though the same thing applies to Marine armor upgrades too; trying to use spikes as a Lerk is basically a pot-luck affair, because you really have no sensible idea of how tough your target is. At least with additional hives, Marines can scan for them. Kharaa are just left wondering "I guess they got another tier of armor? Maybe he was nanoshielded, I couldn't see. He wasn't? Maybe his com just med-spammed him then. He should have been dead."
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929699:date=Apr 25 2012, 06:46 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Apr 25 2012, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The non-intuitive element UWE are talking about is due to the fact that Marines really know when Kharaa get a hive up. Suddenly it takes 13 bullets to kill a Skulk, but you don't know if you're shooting worse, if they've gotten faster, if they evolved Carapace, or if they just got another hive.

Though the same thing applies to Marine armor upgrades too; trying to use spikes as a Lerk is basically a pot-luck affair, because you really have no sensible idea of how tough your target is. At least with additional hives, Marines can scan for them. Kharaa are just left wondering "I guess they got another tier of armor? Maybe he was nanoshielded, I couldn't see. He wasn't? Maybe his com just med-spammed him then. He should have been dead."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The marines <i>should</i> know how many hives the aliens have. It's currently not as important to have multiple hives as it used to be, but this would help to make extra hives more interesting.
    As a note, I like the surprise armor 1/2 can give aliens, or the extra punch you can take with cara to finish off a marine. It catching an enemy off guard makes decisions both as a commander (armor upgrades, cara availability) and a player (cara) more valuable.