Show remaining HP of killer

ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
<div class="IPBDescription">Small change, big impact.</div>Most multiplayer games these days show the health, as a percentage, of the enemy who killed you on the killcam after you're dead. This helps alleviate frustration upon death because you can see how close you came to killing them. Quite often you see "HP?" in chat after someone is killed, this would make that unnecessary.

--Scythe--

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Not a bad idea. Worth trying, at least, provided it can be worked in.
  • SideOfBeefSideOfBeef Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148064Members
    Seems reasonable, though I'm not sure that "wtf I shot that guy 50 times how is he at half health" is really much better than "wtf I shot that guy 50 times how is he alive." That's my experience from Battlefield 3 anyway.
  • haprohapro Join Date: 2012-03-27 Member: 149492Members
    I prefer the counterstrike model of spitting out the amount of damage you dealt to each player in the console when you die.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This would stop the anoyying 'OMFG HOW DID YOU NOT DIE!!!!!111!!!' and the 'OMG WHATS YOUR HP!! YOU SHOULD OF DIED' and the 'I think (insert name) is haxing i keepgetting lots of hits and they still kill me' comment, which can get anoyying.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Don't Think this is a good idea, this would allow your team to tell how much hp fade/onos has left when they die. It would allow marines have easier time estimating weither they have a chance to chase a lifeform down or not.

Its a good idea but I don't think it fits ns.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929673:date=Apr 25 2012, 09:57 AM:name=Grissi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grissi @ Apr 25 2012, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't Think this is a good idea, this would allow your team to tell how much hp fade/onos has left when they die. It would allow marines have easier time estimating weither they have a chance to chase a lifeform down or not.

Its a good idea but I don't think it fits ns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is why you ALWAYS chase the onos.
  • haprohapro Join Date: 2012-03-27 Member: 149492Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929673:date=Apr 25 2012, 12:57 PM:name=Grissi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grissi @ Apr 25 2012, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't Think this is a good idea, this would allow your team to tell how much hp fade/onos has left when they die. It would allow marines have easier time estimating weither they have a chance to chase a lifeform down or not.

Its a good idea but I don't think it fits ns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which is why damage dealt is a better metric! It doesn't take into account how much damage other people dealt, and it doesn't take into account regen. It simply tells you how many of your hits actually landed, because what the client shows you is not necessarily what the server sees.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1

Knowing the enemy hp or damage dealt after you died is a good way to check your effectiveness. I also don't think knowing the enemy health would affect much because players already take this into consideration.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agree.

Often I wonder how much a enemy had left on HP, but they didn't know because they got healed in the meantime.
  • profjekyllprofjekyll Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150070Members
    I have found myself wanting to ask "HP?" after getting nailed quite often. For this I give +1 to this suggestion.

For not liking the other team knowing my HP I would give -.5 for this suggestion.

Perhaps this could be implemented in a specific way that could be checked but was not automatically brought up?
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    It would be nice, but only because you can immediately perceive the benefit to you, without understanding the detriment. Knowing how much health an enemy has is a major strategic advantage, and this is an RTS hybrid.

Dead men tell no tales.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Set up a server side variable that spits out the hp of the player who killed you into console. That way it's optional.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Don't mind having this in normal play but it should be turned of in tournament mode. I think it should stay out of competitive play.
  • bobrunbobrun Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148235Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929679:date=Apr 25 2012, 09:08 AM:name=hapro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hapro @ Apr 25 2012, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which is why damage dealt is a better metric! It doesn't take into account how much damage other people dealt, and it doesn't take into account regen. It simply tells you how many of your hits actually landed, because what the client shows you is not necessarily what the server sees.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damage dealt seems better. In a RTS, knowing the HP is an information too important to be shared like that. We already know the HP information of the buildings, and it have a direct influence on tactics. When I know the hive is at 20% or at 80% makes a BIG difference in how you attack that hive.

I would go for an estimated damage dealt. Let's say you fire 10 bullets at Lvl 1, you get the estimate of 100 Dmg given. Maybe the alien had armor, maybe not, it's not the real damage. Same thing if you bite a Marine 2 times, the game shows you made 150 damage, you know you hit him, but you can't really tell how much HP he has left.

It's easier as an alien to know how many hit you do, but as a marine, especially with the LMG, you can't even estimate how many hits you made.
  • SixPairsOfFeetSixPairsOfFeet Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146689Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    since there's already a waiting time before the player respawns, why not wait the three or four seconds before displaying the HP of the enemy at the exact time of them killing you a second before you respawn? At that time, the information may already be useless, because the alien might have retreated to a crag/gorge or significantly damaged in the mean time (onos in marine base, for instance), but it would still be interesting.

this could be combined with the other option to display just the amount of damage you alone dealt.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1929673:date=Apr 25 2012, 10:57 AM:name=Grissi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grissi @ Apr 25 2012, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't Think this is a good idea, this would allow your team to tell how much hp fade/onos has left when they die. It would allow marines have easier time estimating weither they have a chance to chase a lifeform down or not.

+1 to this. On top of being a key strategic game, having this information handed to you smells carebear mode. Knowing your enemies health when you die is not a good idea. Also, you make the game think/do work for you, I'd rather do the work :P

Example of the overpoweredness "Hey guys fade at 5Hp his name is ##### kill it."
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    If you guys really want to know, why don't you write up a script that takes the name of the person who killed you and inserts it into "How much HP did I take you down to, (name here)?" and bind it to a key?