A plea to server owners to lower player slot count

2»

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1929736:date=Apr 25 2012, 08:51 PM:name=MOOtant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOOtant @ Apr 25 2012, 08:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Instead of your wall of text I have much simpler solution. Add tickrate as some clear indicator in server list in the client. It can look like wireless transmit power indicators - green/yellow/red bars. It's important to make it clear that low tickrate affects gameplay far more than slightly higher latency.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds like a fair enough idea, and now that the reworked main menu is finally nearing completion they can start adding stuff like this.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1929736:date=Apr 25 2012, 02:51 PM:name=MOOtant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOOtant @ Apr 25 2012, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Instead of your wall of text I have much simpler solution. Add tickrate as some clear indicator in server list in the client. It can look like wireless transmit power indicators - green/yellow/red bars. It's important to make it clear that low tickrate affects gameplay far more than slightly higher latency.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The issue is that a feature like this will take some time to get added but yes it is a better solution for the long term and something that really needs to be added to the game. My short term plea of lowering the popular servers player count to promote a better experience for everyone is pretty much the only thing that can be done in the current time to help increase the tickrate.

<!--quoteo(post=1929755:date=Apr 25 2012, 03:39 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Apr 25 2012, 03:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't noticed any performance issues on larger servers. Are you guys running this on your Amiga or something?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure if trolling or not, but I'll go with it-

I currently host 10 server boxes with around 23 NS2 servers currently active and I can tell you for certain that more players = lower tickrate. Most of the popular servers in North America are currently running on my hardware (4.4 Ghz core i5 2500k CPU's).

Not only does a lower tickrate result in less updates and more clientside prediction it also leads to a significant loss of client side FPS for anyone playing on the server as more CPU cycles on your machine are being used to predict player movement. The same is true for high pinging players; Higher ping = more prediction = lower FPS.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1929770:date=Apr 25 2012, 11:22 PM:name=invTempest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (invTempest @ Apr 25 2012, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The issue is that a feature like this will take some time to get added but yes it is a better solution for the long term and something that really needs to be added to the game. My short term plea of lowering the popular servers player count to promote a better experience for everyone is pretty much the only thing that can be done in the current time to help increase the tickrate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, I get the point. When there was EPIC server alive I tried to have slightly more slots than average and people came there but over time novelty of having big server died and people were leaving for fewer slot servers more frequently. My point is that instead of pleas that someone can just ignore you should add incentive for limiting slots and having good tickrate.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    I'm pretty sure menumod has been showing server tick rates on the server browser for weeks now.
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1929821:date=Apr 25 2012, 04:29 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Apr 25 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929821"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm pretty sure menumod has been showing server tick rates on the server browser for weeks now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll confirm that the above is true! :)

And thanks to all those server operators dropping slots down to 16. Games seem a little more "stable" late game.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    lol whats wrong with 18 i under stand about the performance thing but until we have some sortive reserve slot system i dont know.
    i how ever agree anything over 18 players is just ludicrous. as maps just arent big enough yet. i keep mine at 18 cause noone really uses it lol

16-18 i think is a good number of players and should not have less slots or more unless its for scrim matches with 6v6.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    +1 16 or 18 slots is the ideal atm I think.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    I currently get ~40 ping on a full 20 player server. I still don't notice any performance problems.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1930412:date=Apr 26 2012, 08:56 PM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Apr 26 2012, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I currently get ~40 ping on a full 20 player server. I still don't notice any performance problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ping doesn't tell you anything, try net_stats in the console and be amazed at the low server tickrate or 100% choke in combat :)
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1929186:date=Apr 24 2012, 09:42 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Apr 24 2012, 09:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1929186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Done. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm, All-In servers still appear to me around the 18-20 player count.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2012
    Ye. we moved 2 to 16 and the one to 18. But the key owner wanted the 18 back to 20.
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    I really don't see why people want smaller number's?????? Ok valid point, CURRENTLY it's not feasible due to performance. But are we really aiming for low number games? Why? What's so fun about having a 2v2 in the tunnels etc??? Having hordes of aliens, or squads of marines everywhere would be so fun. Death would be everywhere and raining from the heavens. Not that it will ever happen but hell I even want to see a 30 slot server. As designing a game goes, shouldn't we at least be designing the game to accommodate larger number's as well as smaller for variety?

I mean honestly I get an adrenalin rush when you get mobbed by a huge swarm of aliens. Fighting turns crazy, your scrambling for your life while shooting in every direction, side stepping like mad. At times you run out of ammo and have to start pistoling things, then whip the hachet out to go down in glorious bloody battle. Those rare times when you come out alive are extremely satisfying. And I don't even need to mention how fun it is to jump into the middle of a pack of marines as aliens, and come out with huge kills XD.

Maybe it is just me but do people really find having some one on one in a tunnel where the battles over in 2 seconds that fun?
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1931356:date=Apr 29 2012, 01:18 AM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Apr 29 2012, 01:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I mean honestly I get an adrenalin rush when you get mobbed by a huge swarm of aliens. Fighting turns crazy, your scrambling for your life while shooting in every direction, side stepping like mad. At times you run out of ammo and have to start pistoling things, then whip the hachet out to go down in glorious bloody battle. Those rare times when you come out alive are extremely satisfying. And I don't even need to mention how fun it is to jump into the middle of a pack of marines as aliens, and come out with huge kills XD.

Maybe it is just me but do people really find having some one on one in a tunnel where the battles over in 2 seconds that fun?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its not really fun to jump into a horde of marines with 100% choke, huge fps drops and servertickrates under 10.
    I would call it "UNPLAYBLE"

Btw, the "NOOBS LEARN HERE" Server is one of the worst NS2 Servers. New players getting the wrong experince of the game there.
    All they can learn there is:
    - This game cant handle 20 players atm
    - How server- and clientlag destroy every fun
    - Summit and Tram are not made for 20 players (Tram is made for 12, Summit=14, Mineshaft=18)
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I dunno about worst NS2 server. Performace is not good due to high player count. As ive stated the one that pays the bills for the server likes it at 20(leeroy). But if being full everyday, alot of the day is bad....then i dunno what good is :)
  • BoubouBoubou Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27056Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931356:date=Apr 28 2012, 08:18 PM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Apr 28 2012, 08:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really don't see why people want smaller number's?????? Ok valid point, CURRENTLY it's not feasible due to performance. But are we really aiming for low number games? Why? What's so fun about having a 2v2 in the tunnels etc??? Having hordes of aliens, or squads of marines everywhere would be so fun. Death would be everywhere and raining from the heavens. Not that it will ever happen but hell I even want to see a 30 slot server. As designing a game goes, shouldn't we at least be designing the game to accommodate larger number's as well as smaller for variety?

I mean honestly I get an adrenalin rush when you get mobbed by a huge swarm of aliens. Fighting turns crazy, your scrambling for your life while shooting in every direction, side stepping like mad. At times you run out of ammo and have to start pistoling things, then whip the hachet out to go down in glorious bloody battle. Those rare times when you come out alive are extremely satisfying. And I don't even need to mention how fun it is to jump into the middle of a pack of marines as aliens, and come out with huge kills XD.

Maybe it is just me but do people really find having some one on one in a tunnel where the battles over in 2 seconds that fun?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

when there are too many players it becomes a trench war with very little tactical decisions to make, just move to the big choke point where aliens and marines are colliding and shoot stuff.