Expose modded servers in server list and scoreboard

Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited April 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Servers using any sort of modifcation to the original lua code should be exposed in the server browser and in the scoreboard aswell. It should be easy to tell whether you play on a server with modifications or whether you are playing on a vanilla server.

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u>Why is this needed?</u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

The most important reason why this is required is that players can tell whether they are playing on a server which runs the game as intented to (as UWE intended to) or whether they play on a server that has done their own modification.
At a first glance it may seem not important, but it is not constructive at all if people play on a modifed server and don't know it is modifed. These people may think that any modifications are part of the game (especially if they stick to that server) resulting that we get inaccurate or false feedback in the forum.

In addition, while modifications may be nice, I think many people want to experience a "vanilla" game without any game-related modifcations.

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u>Implemenation</u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

On the client side, there should be an additional icon in the server browser that shows the server is modified. For example, a small wrench icon would be quite intutive (and with a legend it should be obvious what it means).
As for the scoreboard, there could be the same icon or the addition of "modifed server" or something (or "vanilla server" in it's place if it is not modifed.

As for the implementation on the game side, there could be a list of hashes for the server files, if one is changed, the server is flagged as modified server. Simarily, if a mod is loaded (though -game command), the server is flagged modified aswell.
Eventually there could also be a white list for non-game changing mods like GameOvermind and these server may show up differently in server list (eg as "whitelisted modifed server").

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u>Examples</u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

A theoreical example involving sightly different values in the balance.lua.
Server 1 runs vanilla settings
Server 2 has some changes: Doubled bile bomb damage for example.

Someone plays on server 1 and makes a post on the forums:
<i>"Bile bomb damage is too low, it should be buffed"</i>
By chance, a player from srever 2 also sees that topic, but he doesn't know the server he plays on is modifed.
<i>"Hey xxx, what are you talking about? Bile bomb destroys everything quickly, it doesn't need a buff, maybe a nerf even."</i>

(I think you should see where this is leading and why this is <b>very</b> bad.)

--- Edit: Example 2:

A new player joins the NS2 community, he has just bought the game and doesn't know much about.

Server X runs a mod that includes major game changes (eg, leveling style instead of normal gameplay)

The new player joins that server and wants to try out NS2. He heard about it and thinks a RTS/FPS hybrid might be a nice. After a while he notices that it's just another level up game like the others out there and doesn't think it's too interting to play. So he continues to play a for a bit, but quickly he deceides that NS2 isn't quite what he likes and never comes back.

P.S.:

If you think this is not a problem because nobody is doing it, you are wrong. There are servers with modified settings out there and they deceided not to tell their players about it and even if they do, not everyone may notice it.

Comments

• SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I have to agree with all points.

There are quite some very well-frequented servers, which actively change damage and other values without informing the players about it.

Imo. a serious problem that is very counter-productive for NS2 Developement and official balancing efforts.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Who maintains the white-list? I'm assuming UWE. It would mean every time someone makes a tiny change to a gameplay-irrelevant mod, it would have to undergo inspection before it is permitted into the server-list. The overhead involved here is significant.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1928596:date=Apr 22 2012, 03:15 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 22 2012, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who maintains the white-list? I'm assuming UWE. It would mean every time someone makes a tiny change to a gameplay-irrelevant mod, it would have to undergo inspection before it is permitted into the server-list. The overhead involved here is significant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

why can't the servers just report to the server browser list automatically that they're modded?
    How would a server know it is modded? Checking "-game"-parameters and hash-values will also designate gameplay-irrelevant mods as custom-gamemodes. There isn't a real elegant solution to this I fear.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This has already been answered by the devs, and linked to, numerous times on the forums:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=116585&view=findpost&p=1906445" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1906445</a>

<!--quoteo(post=1906445:date=Feb 24 2012, 01:44 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Feb 24 2012, 01:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, we're looking forward to seeing the community create Combat for NS2. Or Colonist Extraction mode. Or tower defense vs. shambling Fades ripping through doors. It's going to be awesome.

"Vanilla" NS2 will always be the default view of the game browser, so you won't be playing mods without realizing it. If you click "Custom", that will take you to the Wild West where Gorges are farting bile bomb and dual wielding welders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That does not answer any of the questions in this thread. Read the posts first, silly.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sadly, the only options I see working are vanilla and not-vanilla (e.g. custom). The best you can do is simply play on custom servers with good reputations for not changing base values that much (or at least telling you when they do).
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    I believe there is support for tags. If the devs would actually spend half an hour they could actually make the server select as good as the menu mod server select...