Marine movement

peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
edited April 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Can be more than sprint-walk-jump</div>Discussions are usually limited to sprint but I think there's a more general problem. Playing a marine feels a bit like you're on rails without much freedom.

I suggest:

<b>- Make crouch more useful. </b>

Let marines move a bit faster while crouched than they do now, and when they are crouched and stationary, let them sit lower to the ground. I tried using crouch a lot yesterday and found the only time it is valuable is when you are building or welding and want to hide behind the structure. There's a lot more potential for it than that.

With no recoil in NS2, crouch is redundant for aiming so it needs another purpose, i.e. stealth and defence.

<b>- Jump: Make two kinds of jumping moves.</b>

Sprint jump which can be done once after sprinting for a few seconds, and stops you from sprinting again for a couple of seconds.

Stationary jump for hopping on to and over obstacles. The weapon cannot be fired while hopping. End the silliness of marines bouncing around in circles during combat. That doesnt mean I want to restrict movement -- see all the points above -- overall the marine will feel much more exciting to play and it'll be more immersive for the player.

<b>Signalling</b>

- Press a hotkey and the marine will beckon team mates to follow, or tell them to stop, or point in a direction. It shouldn't be hard to implement, will do a world of good for how the game looks and feels as a player, and could improve team work.

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1926468:date=Apr 17 2012, 02:29 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 17 2012, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Signalling</b>

- Press a hotkey and the marine will beckon team mates to follow, or tell them to stop, or point in a direction. It shouldn't be hard to implement, will do a world of good for how the game looks and feels as a player, and could improve team work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this idea, would provide less information given to the alien team. Although some things will still need to be said to get a player's attention.

Also hopefully using a commarose or l4d voice command menu style. Rather than trying to memorize what commands are in z or x.

And additional movement stuff, just because I like old things.

-Walking
    Slows your movement speed and decreases movement noise. Perfect for ambushes and not wanting to duckwalk across the map.

-Crouch jumping
    Be able to jump on and over obstacles and into vent openings.

-Air strafing/Strafe jumping
    The unrealistic but satisfying skilled movement allowing a player to jump farther between obstacles and allowing access to awesome areas of the map.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-Ky5duveE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-Ky5duveE</a>
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafe-jumping" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafe-jumping</a>
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited April 2012
    I don't think removing the weapon when you jump is the solution, the problems that creates the jump fest is more hit-box, collisions and bad performances in general. The slow down on jump is actually a bit annoying in some situations where you want to chain a few jumps to get somewhere.

The main design point that should be taken into account is that a skulk should always be faster and more agile than a marine, but the marine should be able to do as much as possible. It means that if a marine do some crazy moves a good skulk should be able to follow him and land each bite. Do the marine movement as free and potent as possible and do the skulk just better.

For example, I'd like to have some basic wall jumping (not to get speed, just to reach some high place or so), no reason not to, except performance.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited April 2012
    It's probably the repetitive and unrealistic jump animation that gets me. It needs to look different depending on the direction the marine jumps, so those close quarter fights won't look like a dance off.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926539:date=Apr 17 2012, 05:01 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 17 2012, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's probably the repetitive and unrealistic jump animation that gets me. It needs to look different depending on the direction the marine jumps, so those close quarter fights won't look like a dance off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That sounds like v 1.3 polish to me.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't forget, that crouch is useful to not hinder the sight and line of fire of your teammates.
    No one seems to think about this. And thus the GL-suicides increase.

It really bothers me, that anyone is only thinking of himself and his own line of sight, hindering your teammates to do more damage.
  • ubeubeubeube Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151211Members
    can the developers FIX THE MARINE JUMPING?
    I never hit a marine who jumps around like a rubber ball.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1931600:date=Apr 29 2012, 04:14 PM:name=ubeube)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ubeube @ Apr 29 2012, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can the developers FIX THE MARINE JUMPING?
    I never hit a marine who jumps around like a rubber ball.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is like asking for Devs to fix your aiming because you can't hit a skulk.

Marine jumping is fine.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926468:date=Apr 17 2012, 08:29 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 17 2012, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Signalling</b>

- Press a hotkey and the marine will beckon team mates to follow, or tell them to stop, or point in a direction. It shouldn't be hard to implement, will do a world of good for how the game looks and feels as a player, and could improve team work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Reminds me of all those tactical voice commands in CS that nobody ever used.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926468:date=Apr 17 2012, 11:29 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Apr 17 2012, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926468"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stationary jump for hopping on to and over obstacles. The weapon cannot be fired while hopping. End the silliness of marines bouncing around in circles during combat. That doesnt mean I want to restrict movement -- see all the points above -- overall the marine will feel much more exciting to play and it'll be more immersive for the player.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QQ cuz can't aim then make up bull###### argument about immersion. How about end the silliness of terrible skulks who don't know how to land 3 hits when marines almost always have to use their whole clip? ###### had it with you terribads and how much you whine about "immersion" when you're really just bad. How about we make it so marines can just use all technology right off the bat? I mean where do they get this technology anyways? Is it being spontaneously researched in a matter of minutes by some scientist who absolutely refuses to reveal the secrets of some technology until a certain building is constructed and he receives some sort of "resource" being magically teleported to him through some system and then systematically installing it through some manner of quantum physics to all of the marines but only the ones fighting in that place and at that time?

I've ###### had it with this strawman that you whiners have created. Marine jumping has NOTHING to do with immersion. This game has blatant disregard for physics, do you have any idea what the implications of a wormhole are? Or much more, powering it, creating it, and destroying it? Go back to the drawing board and find a real reason for something that is a real problem and stop bothering the rest of us with your QQ over the marine you're too bad to hit.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    One of the classic design philosophies in NS is that marines are about aiming, while aliens are about movement. This is because aliens mostly attack in melee, and marines mostly attack from range. If you spend time pouring more marine movement abilities into the game, you effectively blur the line between the two teams. There's a reason the jetpack is really wonky and difficult to use - it's because marines aren't supposed to have great movement, and they pay a price for having anything advanced.

I really don't see how any of these mechanics are needed. At this point in the game's development, the concern really needs to be "solving existing problems", not "creating new things to do"