New commander ability for 205: Nano-construct

peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Seen on progress tracker</div>What does it do? The comm won't need marines to build things any more??

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, it speeds up marines building. So it'll be amazing to put up a quick ninja PG or power pack, or just speed up marine expansion in general. (I assume it'll cost energy like nano shield)
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Sounds like catalyze but for Marines. I dislike adding even more symmetries between the teams :(
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    Well, catalyse works on eggs too, so it's still somewhat different.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2012
    Charlie talked about this on the Twitch stream yesterday - you can see it in NS2HD 403 when it goes up (uploading in about an hour) - I will link to it when it is up

EDIT: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwLaOzLRrpA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwLaOzLRrpA</a> - Charlie talks a bit about 205 changes in this video
  • ThyReaperThyReaper Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58621Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1925626:date=Apr 15 2012, 10:49 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Apr 15 2012, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds like catalyze but for Marines. I dislike adding even more symmetries between the teams :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

According to what Charlie said on the stream, this effect goes on the marine that is building, rather than the structure that is being built. It still needs a marine to be present to do the construction.

Hopefully this will help a lot of situations, particularly with very low player counts where the khamm can expand far faster than the marine team.
  • ShadowFangShadowFang Join Date: 2002-05-01 Member: 565Members
    remember in NS1 when a lot of people though catpacks helped building speed, well, this is that implementation
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1925626:date=Apr 15 2012, 10:49 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Apr 15 2012, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds like catalyze but for Marines. I dislike adding even more symmetries between the teams :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously. Every time they have to add a pair of mechanics that are the same, they should just take them both out.
    Part of why NS1/2 are good is that they're simple compared to full-on RTS games. If you continuously add unfinished mechanics instead of polishing the ones you've got, it does a disservice to the game.
    To be fair, it's crucial to balance that both sides are more or less on level in terms of expansion speed/options and tech tree depth.
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1925666:date=Apr 15 2012, 12:15 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 15 2012, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be fair, it's crucial to balance that both sides are more or less on level in terms of expansion speed/options and tech tree depth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, and if you have to give new mechanics to both sides to do that, you're overcomplicating the design and making it ugly/confusing/difficult to balance. Take both catalyze mechanics out and fix the game as it is without them.

If you take the game as it is in build 204, and throw in a catalyze for the marines, suddenly they're way better at building in a lot of really common cases (i.e. when catalyze was first added and aliens had 3 hives at 6:00). Now you have to adjust the contribution level of "player building" versus "catalyze building", and then go back and cascade those changes into the aliens' building numbers and so on. It's probably a better idea to fix the fundamentals first (marine players build, alien drifters build while skulks kill your IPs and win) - coincidentally, this seems to be what they're doing with 205.
  • Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1925652:date=Apr 15 2012, 05:04 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Apr 15 2012, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925652"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously. Every time they have to add a pair of mechanics that are the same, they should just take them both out.
    Part of why NS1/2 are good is that they're simple compared to full-on RTS games. If you continuously add unfinished mechanics instead of polishing the ones you've got, it does a disservice to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I most certainly wouldnt say that this is a half assed mechanic. Some similarities have to be kept otherwise its gonna be a pig to balance and with a mechanic like this its to allow games to be more fast paced which is awesome. And anyway its not exactly the same as catalyse one is applied to a marrine the other is automatic.

Also saying 2 mechanics the same being removed is ridiclus. Thats like saying both teams have mele so remove it. :P

I personally love the complexity thats developing. Keeps things interesting for the commander thats one of the reasons i got bored of commanding on Nucler Dawn (no offence ND fans :P) it was just way too simple. Another oppsiteish example of complexity (which im sure Chris0123 can back me up on :P) was Empires Mod, that has a really in depth research tree and works really well keeping the commander constantly busy thinking about stratgy.(and yes i know Chris the balance on Empires is messed up but thats trickster n co not my point :P)

P.S sry for any typos/spelling errors typed on a phone.
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1925688:date=Apr 15 2012, 12:59 PM:name=Angry Hillbilly 2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Hillbilly 2 @ Apr 15 2012, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also saying 2 mechanics the same being removed is ridiclus. Thats like saying both teams have mele so remove it. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nah. What I mean is that you can already build, and players already influence it, and there are already tweakable numbers for how all that stuff happens. To fix issues with the building part of the game, you should tweak all those existing things. That's why they've been designed into the game. Adding more mechanics (with their own numbers and web of interactions) to solve existing problems will create new ones as well, which is not ideal. Also, this is nitpicking but usually a beta is 'feature complete' - in this case, what we're seeing is features constantly creeping into the game as a way of balancing it. What should happen is that all the features are assembled together, and <i>then </i>the game is balanced in that state (so we don't have things like adjusting the onos when there are no heavies/HMGs in the game to match them).

A good example is the Shift - the movement chamber was the core of the aliens in NS1, and the shift will likely end up to be in NS2, so balancing the entirety of the game without it (where skulks are slow as hell, hive-hive travel is impossible and so on) is a waste of time in many regards.

Removing melee would be like removing building altogether - it's not the same idea I'm getting at.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1925629:date=Apr 15 2012, 08:10 AM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ Apr 15 2012, 08:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1925629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie talked about this on the Twitch stream yesterday - you can see it in NS2HD 403 when it goes up (uploading in about an hour) - I will link to it when it is up

EDIT: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwLaOzLRrpA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwLaOzLRrpA</a> - Charlie talks a bit about 205 changes in this video<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

who's the guy talking to charlie is it you? he has such a good "presenter" voice

edit: yeah it's you :D
  • ThyReaperThyReaper Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58621Members
    Nano-construct allows marines to perform strategies that are otherwise far less viable, and possibly expand a bit faster, though I'm not sure if the cost will really be worth that use.

Catalyze is less useful to aliens than nano-construct will be for marines; it's virtually only ever used for speeding up normal expansion, and occasionally to deal with rushes.

In this case, I would like to see catalyze replaced with a more interesting alternative, but I think nano-construct will be interesting enough on its own.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Guy in the base would be happy, so would Marines helping cap res nodes :)

I hope to see this as a Command Station ability, more decision involving energy usage would be great (Scan and Beacon relation).