So someone keeps using my e-mail address to buy things

sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
For months I've ignored e-mail receipts from different companies sent to me but addressed to someone with the same surname and first letter intial. Unfortunately for this guy I'm pretty fastidious when it comes to having a tidy inbox, and am considering doing something other than ignoring them.

Here is the latest one:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Dear XXX,

Thank you for your purchase of downloadable Adobe products.

For your records, we have included your serial numbers below.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 (Mac/Win,English)
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Converting from a trial version?

If you already have a trial version installed on your computer, there’s no need to download or install the software again. Simply enter the serial number in the Software Setup screen within your trial product and follow the prompts to complete the process.

Download Instructions:
1. Login into Your Account with the ID listed above:

* <a href="http://www.adobe.com/go/ols_au_login/" target="_blank">http://www.adobe.com/go/ols_au_login/</a>

2. Locate order XXX and click on the order number.

3. In the Order Detail page, click on the 'Downloads for this Order' button.

4. Start your download by clicking on the 'Download' button.

5. After you have completed the download process, your serial number will be displayed in the download center.

6. You can log back into 'Your Account' in the future to re-download your product or retrieve your serial number. Please refer to the download policy for terms and conditions.
<a href="http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_16717#prefive" target="_blank">http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...n_16717#prefive</a>

Download Help:
* <a href="http://www.adobe.com/go/ols_ww_download_instructions/" target="_blank">http://www.adobe.com/go/ols_ww_download_instructions/</a>

Best Regards,

The Adobe Store Team<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So what would you do? <b>To simplify things, I'm limiting you to two responses, Mass Effect-style:

The option wheel 1 o'clock response: E-mail Adobe, telling them they have the wrong guy

The option wheel 5 o'clock response: Claim the Photoshop key</b>

CHOOSE WISELY

Comments

• DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    Psh use it, who the hell buys photoshop anymore? [/s]
  • DrinkalotDrinkalot Join Date: 2012-04-12 Member: 150343Members
    Replying probably won't work because its an automated email.. you'd have to find some support page and they'd get back to you after days,
    and you get some retard at a support desk asking the default questions he has on his checklist...

the other option of claiming could get you into trouble, or at least someone very mad at you spamming that you used his key, which is annoying.

Damn I'd probably quit the game already because the good option sucks, and the evil option gives you +renegade points :(
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you for your purchase of downloadable Adobe products.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is how you know it is fake.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    is your email something commonish?

I get other same last name stuff

I called one of them and got her cell phone bill sent to her email, and I also spoke with a nice lady from the Nebraska who ordered some knives...
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924770:date=Apr 12 2012, 10:49 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Apr 12 2012, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is how you know it is fake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Gonna risk looking foolish here: Why does that prove it fake?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924791:date=Apr 12 2012, 10:31 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Apr 12 2012, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gonna risk looking foolish here: Why does that prove it fake?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

(because everyone pirates photoshop)
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Someone bought a car with my email. I get lots of Chevy related things now. Pretty annoying.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    Make sure these are acutal Adobe links. Phishing links can look official even to advanced users. I get a lot of spam about my WoW and Runescape accounts (although I hate RPGs and don't have WoW and Runescape accounts ;) ) and once got annoyed and acutally clicked to ask "Blizzard" to remove the address out of their database. Of course I looked at the status bar to make sure the link leads to Blizzard - surprise, it was a fake site, just looking like the Blizzard page. Although it had blizzard.com in the link, the acutal domain wasn't visible in the status bar of the browser - so double checking is a good idea. Use virtual machines and a working virus scanner when clicking on ######.
    I'm surprised at phishing attempts that seem to simply point me at battle.net. I can't figure out how they work because I don't want to follow the link. Caution overruling curiosity. Maybe I AM turning into a boring adult after all.
  • A_Boojum_SnarkA_Boojum_Snark Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20628Members
    I believe it has to do with using various duplicate characters from other languages that are defined in unicode.
    For example:
    "а" - Cyrillic Small Letter A from the character map.
    "a" - Latin Small Letter A that is the standard one for English keyboard.
    So when you see "bаttle.net" it isn't the same as "battle.net"
    Clever ######s! D:
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1927867:date=Apr 20 2012, 09:29 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Apr 20 2012, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Clever ######s! D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I've learnt something today.