Marine Comm: Know who asked for Ammon / Medpack

profjekyllprofjekyll Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150070Members
edited April 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Way to see which player requested ammo or a medpack</div>I find it frustrating when a group of marines are mid battle and one has asked for ammo. From what I can see, you can't tell who needs more bullets and you have to spam.

Could the delivery of ammo (and maybe medpacks) be made a bit easier?

1) Perhaps we could have an icon show above the marine to say he needs ammo or a medpack (I find the health bars a bit misleading, just because he is down on health doesn't mean he's the one who asked his comm for medpacks).

2) Perhaps you could select a player you want to give to and press a resuply button.

In addition to this, it's confusing because the marines asking for medpacks and ammo are grouped in with the marines asking for orders. The single icon on the right of the interface shows the total of how many marines have asked for something, but doesn't distinguish between what they wanted.

Perhaps we could have different buttons to jump to either "Want Ammo" "Want Medpack" or "Want you to drop that new piece of furniture from Ikea / Res node".

Comments

• WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    Wait, the Commander do not see who sent the request?

... the voice controls have been useless the whole time.
  • profjekyllprofjekyll Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1923516:date=Apr 9 2012, 02:33 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Apr 9 2012, 02:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait, the Commander do not see who sent the request?

... the voice controls have been useless the whole time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What are voice controls? (I know, I know... I'm a noob)
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1923529:date=Apr 10 2012, 01:05 AM:name=profjekyll)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (profjekyll @ Apr 10 2012, 01:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are voice controls? (I know, I know... I'm a noob)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The z-1234 commands that ask for medpacks, ammo, orders etc.

<!--quoteo(post=1923486:date=Apr 9 2012, 10:41 PM:name=profjekyll)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (profjekyll @ Apr 9 2012, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) Perhaps we could have an icon show above the marine to say he needs ammo or a medpack (I find the health bars a bit misleading, just because he is down on health doesn't mean he's the one who asked his comm for medpacks).

2) Perhaps you could select a player you want to give to and press a resuply button.

In addition to this, it's confusing because the marines asking for medpacks and ammo are grouped in with the marines asking for orders. The single icon on the right of the interface shows the total of how many marines have asked for something, but doesn't distinguish between what they wanted.

Perhaps we could have different buttons to jump to either "Want Ammo" "Want Medpack" or "Want you to drop that new piece of furniture from Ikea / Res node".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree, while the status bars for the marines health/ammo and armour counters should be more obvious, I think it's detrimental to the skill ceiling of the commander for the game to do too much for them in combat. As it is right now, medpack and ammo drops are really the only micro intensive action in NS2.
  • haprohapro Join Date: 2012-03-27 Member: 149492Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1923516:date=Apr 9 2012, 09:33 AM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Apr 9 2012, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait, the Commander do not see who sent the request?

... the voice controls have been useless the whole time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The commander gets a notification in the top right corner of their screen. If they click on the notification, it centers the map on the marine that requested backup. There is, however, no way to tell which marine it is if, say, there's a group of 5 all standing next to each other. But I'd say, at that point you're probably just going to drop down ~5 medpacks anyway and let the marines sort it out.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    +1 for this idea, should be easier to tell which marine out of a group asked for hp or ammo, a small icon above their head would solve the issue.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    If you hear a medpack/ammo request you can press space to center on the marine (space = most recent event)
    Otherwise the request shows up as a small marine portrait in the bottom right which you can click on to center on that marine (lasts for quite a while or until you click on it) but I don't think you can tell from the portrait icon whether they requested meds or ammo.

This is just something that needs to be better explained in tutorials and made more obvious at the commander UI layer.
  • profjekyllprofjekyll Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150070Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1923544:date=Apr 9 2012, 04:34 PM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Apr 9 2012, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The z-1234 commands that ask for medpacks, ammo, orders etc.

I disagree, while the status bars for the marines health/ammo and armour counters should be more obvious, I think it's detrimental to the skill ceiling of the commander for the game to do too much for them in combat. As it is right now, medpack and ammo drops are really the only micro intensive action in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for your feedback on this. I agree that we shouldn't make it too easy for the comm.

Still, as it stands, I don't believe there is any way in which to tell how much ammo a marine has left. To add to this, often a single marine will ask multiple time for medpacks and or ammo.

I don't believe the system as it stands gives the comm enough information to respond accurately, proportunally or efficiently. The only way to handle this with surety is by medpack or ammo spamming. Now this, I beleive, is not a "skillful" way for a comm to respond.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1923819:date=Apr 10 2012, 06:32 PM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Apr 10 2012, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you hear a medpack/ammo request you can press space to center on the marine (space = most recent event)
    Otherwise the request shows up as a small marine portrait in the bottom right which you can click on to center on that marine (lasts for quite a while or until you click on it) but I don't think you can tell from the portrait icon whether they requested meds or ammo.

This is just something that needs to be better explained in tutorials and made more obvious at the commander UI layer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think he knows that, but it needs improvement regardless. Even if you center on screen it's hard to tell if there is a group of marines or what they needed.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1923780:date=Apr 10 2012, 05:51 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 10 2012, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 for this idea, should be easier to tell which marine out of a group asked for hp or ammo, a small icon above their head would solve the issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. Also what about an icon over their head to indicate if they are speaking over voice? only to the commander of course.