GunGame

JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
edited April 2012 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">server side mod</div>Hey,

as I was looking through the code to make a server side combat mod, I thought a small GunGame Mod for NSwould be cool.
It's faster to make as the Combat Mod (I've worte already some code for combat, including Lvl and XP system, but I got no Idea how to
realize a serve side GUI), so I've started now to make the GunGame.

Changes (already done):
- Every Player joins team 1
- friendly fire is on
- you get new Lvls for killing a m8 (cause there are no m8s ^^)
- you start only with a pistol and get a new weapon, every time you kill somebody
- weapons can't be dropped, even at death you don't drop your weapon
- GL's, mines and welders can now do damage to m8s
- Join teamone, even if it's full (cause there will only be teamone)
- end the Game, when you killed somebody with the "last" weapon
- make the weapons stronger (it take nearly a minute to kill somebody with the Flamethrower)
- small "Lvl-Up" Chatmessages and "Player ... has won" Message
- keep your weapon after death (you spawn at the moment with the pistol)
- disable buildings etc.
- Bots will attack and get weapons, too
- random Spawn

To-Do:

- some small maps for the GunGame
- no Ammo for the rifle if got GL

Edit:
<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->UPDATE!!!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I managed now all the problems and packed all the files needed for the mod
<a href="http://home.arcor.de/jim_west/ns2/gungame_v0.1.zip" target="_blank">http://home.arcor.de/jim_west/ns2/gungame_v0.1.zip</a>

Just copy the files in the zip in your Lua directory in the NS2 folder (best thing is to safe the old files before).
The Mod is only server sided, you can still play on other servers and everybody can play on the GunGame Server.

It's still a bit buggy, but I think it can be played.
The maps for it need at least 1 Power, or ResourcePoint. At most maps are more PowerPoints then Techpoints,
so the spawn order is: PowerPoint - ResourcePoint-TechPoint.

The dmg from the weapons need still some fixing, maybe you can help me to find the right dmg.
If you want to start the game with Bots, just type "cheats 1" and then "addbots (amount)" in the console and 10 Bots will be added.
The bots will fight you and can win, too.
There is also a cheat for getting a new lvl, you need to enable cheats and type "addlvl" in the console.

Now, have some fun :-)

Comments

• dobsdobs Join Date: 2011-08-04 Member: 114164Members
    I don't want to sound like a ###### but i hope that there will be no mods whatsoever for the first year of NS2. I remember when Combat mode popped up on all the servers for NS1 because thats when i stopped playing it.
    Thumbs up for the effort but NS2 really needs no GunGame atm.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Nice to hear someone is taking the time to contribute to NS2. I've played NS since, well the beginning, and when combat was released I played it way more than the original game mode. Combat was amazing!

As for the gun game, sounds cool. People like to mix things up, I'm sure people would play it. I really recommend you put a lot of planning into this, see if maybe you can expand the idea. If you could incorporate the aliens, and soon to come heavies, it'd be more original and exciting.

If you run into a dead end, fire a private message off to one of the Devs, I'm sure they'll try and direct you best they can.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1923356:date=Apr 9 2012, 12:39 PM:name=dobs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dobs @ Apr 9 2012, 12:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to sound like a ###### but i hope that there will be no mods whatsoever for the first year of NS2. I remember when Combat mode popped up on all the servers for NS1 because thats when i stopped playing it.
    Thumbs up for the effort but NS2 really needs no GunGame atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree.

And I agree with Zastels, this could have potential, more planning would be nice to include the alien team as part of the progression!
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Here is a short Video

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01P_h0nSSp8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01P_h0nSSp8</a>

Yeah getting the Aliens involved to this would be cool,
    but I want first to get the Mod running as it should before adding the aliens.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited April 2012
    !!UPDATE!!!
    I edited the first post and put a link to the mod in it.

With the experience in Ns2 Lua scripts gained through that mod, I could make a ServerSide Combat, too,
    but I had no Idea how to create a good server sided Gui for the Lvl-Up things...
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Cool, i didn't realise it was possible to do server side mods in ns2, i take it this means we don't have to wait on uwe to add proper mod support like auto downloads before we can play?

<!--quoteo(post=1923356:date=Apr 8 2012, 07:39 PM:name=dobs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dobs @ Apr 8 2012, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to sound like a ###### but i hope that there will be no mods whatsoever for the first year of NS2. I remember when Combat mode popped up on all the servers for NS1 because thats when i stopped playing it.
    Thumbs up for the effort but NS2 really needs no GunGame atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a rather selfish hope you got there, options are always good, why would you want to deny others enjoyment or hope it doesn't happen just because you dislike the idea, combat was obviously popular otherwise it wouldn't of attracted so many players.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924120:date=Apr 11 2012, 12:42 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Apr 11 2012, 12:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924120"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cool, i didn't realise it was possible to do server side mods in ns2, i take it this means we don't have to wait on uwe to add proper mod support like auto downloads before we can play?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Of course server-side mods are possible, half of the servers run the admin-mod and the entire player-base playing on them certainly didn't download it. However, right now there is very little you can do from just the server-side. In fact, in HL1 you could do a lot without the clients having to change their binaries (just look at all the plugins circulating for CS\NS). You can't even send a simple private-message to a client right now in NS2, I'm having to sneak those messages through the global chat-system (which broke all servers a few builds ago when they changed it up).

Bottom line is, you can do mods without clients having to download anything, but there is very very very little you can do, therefor download-support is absolutely vital for anything resembling a new game-mode. That, and of course you can't change the maps at all (without map-downloading), so you have to work your game-mode around vanilla maps, which usually doesn't work out right in terms of gameplay.
    edited April 2012
    You can send a private message to a player,
    I do that in the gungame mod, too.

Here's my code
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--> function player:SendDirectMessage(message) //Sending LVL Msg only to the Player
    local playerName = "GunGame: " .. self:GetName()
    local playerLocationId = -1
    local playerTeamNumber = kTeamReadyRoom
    local playerTeamType = kNeutralTeamType
    Server.SendNetworkMessage(self, "Chat", BuildChatMessage(true, playerName, playerLocationId, playerTeamNumber, playerTeamType, message), true)
    end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924618:date=Apr 12 2012, 10:10 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 12 2012, 10:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Of course server-side mods are possible, half of the servers run the admin-mod and the entire player-base playing on them certainly didn't download it. However, right now there is very little you can do from just the server-side. In fact, in HL1 you could do a lot without the clients having to change their binaries (just look at all the plugins circulating for CS\NS). You can't even send a simple private-message to a client right now in NS2, I'm having to sneak those messages through the global chat-system (which broke all servers a few builds ago when they changed it up).

Bottom line is, you can do mods without clients having to download anything, but there is very very very little you can do, therefor download-support is absolutely vital for anything resembling a new game-mode. That, and of course you can't change the maps at all (without map-downloading), so you have to work your game-mode around vanilla maps, which usually doesn't work out right in terms of gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah i see, thanks, hopefully they'll add the proper support then for both server side and downloads.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1924967:date=Apr 13 2012, 08:46 AM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Apr 13 2012, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can send a private message to a player,
    I do that in the gungame mod, too.

Here's my code
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--> function player:SendDirectMessage(message) //Sending LVL Msg only to the Player
    local playerName = "GunGame: " .. self:GetName()
    local playerLocationId = -1
    local playerTeamNumber = kTeamReadyRoom
    local playerTeamType = kNeutralTeamType
    Server.SendNetworkMessage(self, "Chat", BuildChatMessage(true, playerName, playerLocationId, playerTeamNumber, playerTeamType, message), true)
    end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Rookie, that's exactly what I've been using since forever. But you can tell it is ment for player-to-player, not server-to-player (and it used to be a bit more hack-ish). If you want a more poignant example, GUIs, which cannot be used at all from the server-side, so you're stuck with console-commands (and I've seen more user-friendly consoles than Spark's frankly, I wouldn't mind some auto-complete or history).
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    Your link for the mod seems broken, btw I think it's a very good idea
    Yeah it's broken since April this year ^^ have focused the work on Combat and the ExtraEntitiesMod, but maybe will remake that mod.