Alien Comm Interface too clunky

profjekyllprofjekyll Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150070Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Tricky to navigate Alien Commander Interface</div>I may be just doing things the wrong way, but it seems that sometimes the only way to build cists is to go back to a hive and click on it, then take your overview back to where you want to lay them. I find this a bit clunky.

There aren't that many Alien comm options, so having them all on the top level would be great and then you could navigate down through them.

EG - Option to bring up hive interface to build cists and drifters. Option to bring up inactive drifters.

Perhaps a key could be bound to this?

Comments

• FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    You dont always have to select the hive. The shortcut for cysts is Q and if you don't have a hive selected press 1 then Q and drop a cyst.
    Be aware that alien com isn't finished at all.

The option to move to inactiv drifters is to click in the drifter icon that shows you the number if drifters, it also exists a shortcut in menumod the get to the next inactive unit.
  • profjekyllprofjekyll Join Date: 2012-04-07 Member: 150070Members
    Thanks! The cists shortcut alone is a big help.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Yeah I tend to assign each hive to a number aswell.
    Good Idea! I gues this can be done with arms lab, armoury and proto lab for rind comms.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can be done with everything. CTRL+number. Also if you hold CTRL and double klick a unit it will select all on the screen.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I may be wrong, but I think Ctrl+ a single click will do that. I often use it for whip pushes :P.
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    ctrl-number doesn't do anything for my keyboard (Belgian AZERTY), because the numbers all function as uppercase. Turning on capslock doesn't do anything, either.

I can of course set my keyboard to QWERTY, but having to switch every time is a pain, though I have gotten used to typing QWERTY as well due to some older games not supporting anything else.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The Alien commander interface is currently a placeholder that will be totally redone, so your feedback is very helpful.
    Perhaps the option to hold shift when pressing the "select inactive drifter" button could select a drifter without moving the screen. It's can be a bit of a drag having to reposition the map again to be able to click where the drifter is needed.

This functionality would be similar to how the ctrl+1 teams are selected: it selects them without moving he screen.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1923820:date=Apr 10 2012, 09:37 AM:name=Rover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rover @ Apr 10 2012, 09:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ctrl-number doesn't do anything for my keyboard (Belgian AZERTY), because the numbers all function as uppercase. Turning on capslock doesn't do anything, either.

I can of course set my keyboard to QWERTY, but having to switch every time is a pain, though I have gotten used to typing QWERTY as well due to some older games not supporting anything else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, there is a bug that if you reconfigure your hotkeys (i.e. move crouch to anything but crtl), then the ctrl+number shortcuts no longer work.
    Perhaps the option to hold shift when pressing the "select inactive drifter" button could select a drifter without moving the screen. It's can be a bit of a drag having to reposition the map again to be able to click where the drifter is needed.

This functionality would be similar to how the ctrl+1 teams are selected: it selects them without moving he screen.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    In addition, it could be helpful if the UI showed what upgrades you have already researched, sometimes when 1 - 2 get destroyed it's confusing to find out which ones you have to replace. And it's good in general to know what upgrades you already have researched.

Also would love to have the ability to put cysts on walls, but I guess that's not going to be possible ever :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1924136:date=Apr 11 2012, 02:39 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 11 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In addition, it could be helpful if the UI showed what upgrades you have already researched, sometimes when 1 - 2 get destroyed it's confusing to find out which ones you have to replace. And it's good in general to know what upgrades you already have researched.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 for this