("Improved") Skulk Air Control

WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I have to know...</div>... who here likes it?

It is a failed concept. Skulk movement disobey any common reason. It is unpredictable, jerky.

I see Skulks FLYING around me before they hit the ground...

Convince me that you liked it as it has been for the last 4 builds.

Comments

• internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    I like the air control because I play CPMA and stuff like that. What I don't like is how slow skulks are without walljumping/leaping, and how annoying their animations are to aim at.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1922633:date=Apr 7 2012, 12:29 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Apr 7 2012, 12:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the air control because I play CPMA and stuff like that. What I don't like is how slow skulks are without walljumping/leaping, and how annoying their animations are to aim at.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What is CPMA?
    It's a quake 3 mod that's very geared toward movement, air control etc. Also PQL for Quake Live is the same idea.
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1922635:date=Apr 7 2012, 12:34 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Apr 7 2012, 12:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a quake 3 mod that's very geared toward movement, air control etc. Also PQL for Quake Live is the same idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Has little to do with NS2.

Quake 3 is pretty much all ADHD, no teamplay.
    Well, that's a really ignorant thing to say but I still like to have air control in NS2 because of my background with other games.

Cheers!
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1922639:date=Apr 6 2012, 11:36 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Apr 6 2012, 11:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has little to do with NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Has little to do with internetexplorer's comment ;)

Edit: Oh, and I like Air Control. Well, has NS1 to do with NS2 for you? Because it had Air Control. And skulks were pretty much flying as well with leap, celerity and/or bunnyhop.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    skulks would be too easy to aim at without air control.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited April 2012
    I like it. It gives you a lot of freedom, and i think it is necessary to stand a chance against good marines.

Without the curving marines could out strafe skulks a lot easier. You will definitely get a problem when there are 3-4 marines with shotguns and you have to jump into battle like a stone.

fun / balance > realism (imho)
    <!--quoteo(post=1922651:date=Apr 6 2012, 07:07 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Apr 6 2012, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922651"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fun / balance > realism (imho)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

uhh sorry but that's where you're wrong

the aliens in this game need to be realistic
    edited April 2012
    Since when did this game have to be realistic?

Edit: sarcasm I didn't get?
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    only reason I've picked up playing full time skulk was because of the recent changes to it's air control. I'd hate to see it changed.
    I was much less killed as a Skulk when there was much less air control.
    <!--quoteo(post=1922658:date=Apr 6 2012, 07:24 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Apr 6 2012, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was much less killed as a Skulk when there was much less air control.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    I like the air control, i hate wall jumping.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    *sniff*
    i smell bait...
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I find the air control to be unintuitive. Even half life 1 had some concept of air momentum, but in this its a dead stop the second you try move in the other direction. Personally I find it does more damage to me as aliens than as marines.

Also shooters are meant to be about prediction, or at least intelligent shooters are. Rapid direction changes eliminate any hope of predicting a trajectory.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1922720:date=Apr 6 2012, 09:55 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Apr 6 2012, 09:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also shooters are meant to be about prediction, or at least intelligent shooters are. Rapid direction changes eliminate any hope of predicting a trajectory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    just dont forget tho, ns2 isnt a "shooter". one of the teams has mostly melee weapons while the other team is doing the "shooter" style, so its not quite the same. if you made this game like a realistic "shooter" the aliens wouldnt stand a chance
  • Mkk_BitestuffMkk_Bitestuff Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12407Members
    Prediction is just a form/style of aiming really. Depending on how good your tracking/reactions/hand-eye coordination is, you can play based on visuals and reactions, tracking with prediction, or almost fully on prediction. Obviously playing pure reactions is the best, but not that many people have the coordination and reaction time to pull that off. The people that I trained/played with aimed completely based on reactions, thats why they were the best marines in NS1.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1922731:date=Apr 7 2012, 06:58 AM:name=Drummer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drummer @ Apr 7 2012, 06:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just dont forget tho, ns2 isnt a "shooter". one of the teams has mostly melee weapons while the other team is doing the "shooter" style, so its not quite the same. if you made this game like a realistic "shooter" the aliens wouldnt stand a chance<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I said intelligent, not realistic. As in, not a knee jerk reaction shooter, not a spray and pray shooter, but somewhere in the middle, combining hand eye coordination with strategical movement and combat planning.

<!--quoteo(post=1922734:date=Apr 7 2012, 07:24 AM:name=Mkk_Bitestuff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkk_Bitestuff @ Apr 7 2012, 07:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Prediction is just a form/style of aiming really. Depending on how good your tracking/reactions/hand-eye coordination is, you can play based on visuals and reactions, tracking with prediction, or almost fully on prediction. Obviously playing pure reactions is the best, but not that many people have the coordination and reaction time to pull that off. The people that I trained/played with aimed completely based on reactions, thats why they were the best marines in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is all my opinion:
    Reaction aiming works fine in games like COD or CS where opponents are slow and damage dealt is relatively high. However in a game like NS where the targets move rapidly, you will typically find that the interval between placing the crosshair and clicking the mouse button is sufficient for the target to move almost entirely away from that location. Essentially what I'm saying is its not possible without a large amount of prediction. And because the concious mind doesn't control the prediction, a player won't even know its happening.

Also don't forget that sustained fire would be near impossible without prediction, as it would require the aimer to be snapping between discrete positions, rather than following a curve approximating the targets trajectory.

TL:DR all aiming is based on prediction, the only difference between players is the interpolation time, ie how far ahead of the current position the person aims.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I think strong air control is good, but it's just too strong right now. Like ns1 it should be fine.
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1922735:date=Apr 7 2012, 07:24 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Apr 7 2012, 07:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922735"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is all my opinion:
    Reaction aiming works fine in games like COD or CS where opponents are slow and damage dealt is relatively high. However in a game like NS where the targets move rapidly, you will typically find that the interval between placing the crosshair and clicking the mouse button is sufficient for the target to move almost entirely away from that location. Essentially what I'm saying is its not possible without a large amount of prediction. And because the concious mind doesn't control the prediction, a player won't even know its happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can assure you that with a lower ping (yours is around 250 -300 on EU servers) you would hit and kill much more often.
    The predictive movement works in games like COD or CS because everyone moves the same and everyone has weapons. Everyone has the same chance to kill the other.

In NS2 you have the melee aliens and ranged marines. In order to reach the good marines you just need a way to stay unpredictable when closing the gap or you will just get one shot by one of the 4-5 marines.
    I practiced wall jumping a lot in the last few builds so I'd say I'm a decent wall jumper by now, but there are still people who hit me with every single shot, no matter how much I curve in mid air.
  • twincannontwincannon Join Date: 2011-06-14 Member: 104459Members
    I'm a huge fan of advanced movement in games, I love bunnyhop and was a member of the defrag/tricking community in quake 3.

That said the wall jump thing is very strange to me. A big part of the bunnyhop hate is simply because it's jumping. I'm convinced that if it were to manifest in a different form that wasn't reliant on jumping (for example, mouse gesture-based sprinting), people would have no problem with it. And to me, the way wall jumping works looks even STRANGER than regular old bunnyhop.

A skulk simply bouncing down a hallway going fast makes more sense to me than a skulk zig-zagging from one wall to another (or possibly worse, jumping off of a wall, and then immediately running/curving back onto the same wall to jump off of it again). It's super silly as far as a pure movement mechanic goes (it's great as an ambush mechanic).

It's also really, really annoying to do due to all of the jutting geometry in maps (and this also means certain areas allow skulks to go faster than others, unlike sprint which is a constant). Very rarely do you ever get a good clean flat surface to do it on where you can actually reliably go 1000+ speed for any length of time.
  • Mkk_BitestuffMkk_Bitestuff Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12407Members
    If you think that the delay between aiming and shooting is long enough for the target to have moved away, then there is nothing more I can say regarding aiming. I can assure you however that some people do not suffer from that, and can aim purely on reactions. Ive seen people track pancaking retard lerks from NS1 almost perfectly, and you cannot predict movement like that.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I'm a constant pain in sewleks balls about air control.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    Skulk air control is getting better and better - once the fps issues are fixed I'll really start to like it I think.
    Just think about how awesome the Lerk feels already, it came a long way as well.