NS1 Competitive VoDs?

JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find some NS1 shoutcasted videos on demand of tournaments/clan matches to get some perspective on the game I missed out on and see how it compares to NS2.

I found some videos uploaded by Waremonger, does anyone know anywhere else to look?

Comments

• ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd like to see some casts as well, I found my way to a channel filled with them once before but can't recall what it was called.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    This guys has some videos: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/blindNS/videos" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/blindNS/videos</a>
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yup, just found his channel. Watching now.
    Thanks.

Seems to take half the time to kill RTs in the first game.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1922157:date=Apr 6 2012, 01:32 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Apr 6 2012, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This guys has some videos: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/blindNS/videos" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/blindNS/videos</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He sounds like a film/animation teacher I know :O.

Thanks!
    I can't get over how tiny skulks look in NS1, they're like little super aggressive naked mole rats.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    edited April 2012
    Yeah that channel is good for full game casts. If you watch the more recent div2 games you won't really see high level play though.

Looking around <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cjahCIEZo4" target="_blank">here's</a> a match that looks like it shows a pretty good game.

From memory <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4p8p_ZC9qc" target="_blank">here's</a> a round I played that turns into a pretty intense late game stalemate because both teams were making mistakes.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Better off just installing NS1 again and watching some of the HLTV demos.

Demos
    <a href="http://www.ninelegends.com/files/index.php?dir=Demos/Natural%20Selection/" target="_blank">http://www.ninelegends.com/files/index.php...al%20Selection/</a>

Game Installers for various versions
    <a href="http://www.ninelegends.com/files/index.php?dir=Games/Natural%20Selection/" target="_blank">http://www.ninelegends.com/files/index.php...al%20Selection/</a>

Shoutcasts
    <a href="http://www.ninelegends.com/files/index.php?dir=Shoutcasts/Natural%20Selection/" target="_blank">http://www.ninelegends.com/files/index.php...al%20Selection/</a>
  • sebusebu Join Date: 2011-09-21 Member: 122375Members
    I suggest instelling thbe client, and cheking out the demos yourself too. If you have a copy of HL.

There's a tons of them in ENSL site.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    While I was watching all the replays for ENSL prediction writeups I was thinking about doing some deeper replay analysis talk. I'm just a lazy tard and never got anything done, partitially due to the scene shrinking and lack of motivation.

If there's interest for it now, I can probably give it a try and see if people find it interesting or meaningful.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1923479:date=Apr 9 2012, 12:25 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Apr 9 2012, 12:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I was watching all the replays for ENSL prediction writeups I was thinking about doing some deeper replay analysis talk. I'm just a lazy tard and never got anything done, partitially due to the scene shrinking and lack of motivation.

If there's interest for it now, I can probably give it a try and see if people find it interesting or meaningful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds sexy. I want.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1923479:date=Apr 9 2012, 11:25 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Apr 9 2012, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I was watching all the replays for ENSL prediction writeups I was thinking about doing some deeper replay analysis talk. I'm just a lazy tard and never got anything done, partitially due to the scene shrinking and lack of motivation.

If there's interest for it now, I can probably give it a try and see if people find it interesting or meaningful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd love to hear your insights, especially if they had some NS2 flavour. If they're anything as interesting as your posts, I'm sure they'd be quality.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Yeah Bacs, quit being a lazy Finn already!
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Woah. Didn't remember the shotgun is that crazy fast in NS1. The harvesters just melt away.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1927656:date=Apr 20 2012, 02:55 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Apr 20 2012, 02:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Woah. Didn't remember the shotgun is that crazy fast in NS1. The harvesters just melt away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The NS1 shotgun feels like a machinegun compared to the NS2 one. I have to admit though that I like the NS2 one more. Slower rate of fire makes me also think that it has higher learning curve but might be just me.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Shotgun also had 2x damage vs buildings. It only does around 5% damage to harvester in ns2 per shot.

I partly agree with you zeikko, it does fit ns2 gameplay because its slower but each shot still matters just as much as the ns1 did. I think ns1 was much more fun to use but it would be way to powerful for ns2 (to many shotguns and slower game).
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1922144:date=Apr 5 2012, 10:06 AM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Apr 5 2012, 10:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1922144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi guys,

I'm trying to find some NS1 shoutcasted videos on demand of tournaments/clan matches to get some perspective on the game I missed out on and see how it compares to NS2.

I found some videos uploaded by Waremonger, does anyone know anywhere else to look?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As you found, I (Waremonger on YT) had uploaded a bunch of more recent NS1 (v3.x) clan matches. I had intended to do many more of them but that was in the days of the 10 minute limitation on YouTube so it was getting very frustrating to edit them into multiple 10 minute segments. When recording them I tried to get viewpoints of the players who were making the most impact at that time, so you get a whole lot of footage of Mustang dominating as a fade :-). What I also wanted to do was show some footage of NS 1 v1.4 and NS 1 v2.0 matches with HAM and other clans that dominated in the early days. IIRC, I don't think HAM ever lost a match in the NS 1.4 days and there were some crazy talented people in that clan. Anyway, I was never able to record them because all the matches that I found were played with an old anti-cheat program called Cheating Death and in order to play back the matches you had to have the exact version installed that was used when the match was played. Unfortunately, I was unable to find the old CD versions that were used way back when. I found an archive that someone had created of old CD versions, but they didn't go back far enough... I would still love to do that if anyone had the correct versions of Cheating Death.

Also, I didn't commentate on them as I prefer to just watch the matches w/o commentary but I guess that's a personal preference.
    On a quick heads up, I've been having one rough spring trying to cope with allergies and studies, so not much energy left for any kind of bigger NS projects. I should be done with my exams in a couple of weeks and having a plenty of free time after that. At this point it looks like that the free time might as well go for some NS video project(s).

Also, I should be getting some fresh hardware so I'm in a much better shape to add some 'NS2 flavour' for vids if I manage to get something done.

As usual with me and my silly projects, absolutely no promises at this point. Hopefully I'll get something done though.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1927968:date=Apr 21 2012, 02:26 AM:name=Warmonger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Warmonger @ Apr 21 2012, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927968"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I also wanted to do was show some footage of NS 1 v1.4 and NS 1 v2.0 matches with HAM and other clans that dominated in the early days. IIRC, I don't think HAM ever lost a match in the NS 1.4 days and there were some crazy talented people in that clan.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know about v. 1.04, and they were definitely a "big deal" at the time, but HAM lost the CAL S1 final (v. 2.01) to Evolution Revolution. AFAIK, HAM never won any tournaments, so I wouldn't personally rank them very high on a list of influential NS1 clans.

<!--quoteo(post=1927702:date=Apr 20 2012, 02:56 PM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Apr 20 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1927702"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The NS1 shotgun feels like a machinegun compared to the NS2 one. I have to admit though that I like the NS2 one more. Slower rate of fire makes me also think that it has higher learning curve but might be just me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As Grissi said, the NS1 shotgun did 2x damage to buildings. I don't remember it having a significantly higher ROF than the NS2 shotgun, but it's possible.

The NS1 shotgun also had the infamous "reload bug", which significantly raised the learning curve (although it could be argued that it raised it in a bad way).

My hypothesis is that the NS2 shotgun will become overpowered once reg/performance is fixed, as it has a significantly longer range and tighter cone of fire than the NS1 shotgun.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1934752:date=May 9 2012, 02:00 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ May 9 2012, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On a quick heads up, I've been having one rough spring trying to cope with allergies and studies, so not much energy left for any kind of bigger NS projects. I should be done with my exams in a couple of weeks and having a plenty of free time after that. At this point it looks like that the free time might as well go for some NS video project(s).

Also, I should be getting some fresh hardware so I'm in a much better shape to add some 'NS2 flavour' for vids if I manage to get something done.

As usual with me and my silly projects, absolutely no promises at this point. Hopefully I'll get something done though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The ENSL S6 finals should be your first project. Jesus what a match that was.
    <!--quoteo(post=1934805:date=May 9 2012, 05:18 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ May 9 2012, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1934805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The ENSL S6 finals should be your first project. Jesus what a match that was.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Haha... I had to check that one on ENSL hall of fame. Must've been intense.
    It looked like it was going to be a trash match, as both Saunamen and 9L were a bit inactive in the weeks leading up to it (9L even had to field b1, who hadn't played in a year, to get six for the match), but god damn did it turn out to be a tight match. Every round was a nail biter, especially the second map and tie breaker.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, definitely one the best matches in 3.2. era, sadly that tells something about level of teamwork and tactics of 3.2. teams :)
  • NokyNoky Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71295Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    terror vs exigent in the later seasons of cal. I think it was actually the last season, or the side league created after cal-ns was dispersed. I remember watching those games in high school. Best games I've ever seen. I don't know where you can find them though. There are some ownage vids. Terror, Reign of Terror, Team Exigent - Ascension, and I was a pretty big Fana fan (fananation). You can watch those to see what high level game play was like. It was intense. I miss bunny hopping :(
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2012
    Just watched one round of the s6 ensl finals, it was awesome. I recommend it
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    There is also shoutcast for that match: <a href="http://www.ensl.org/data_files/11" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/data_files/11</a>
    NS1 commentary was pretty poor quality. I'm not sure if I'd recommend that shoutcast.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    b1, evilness and mu: good shoutcasters or greatest shoutcasters?
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Too swedish, too dutch, too sarcastic!
  • NerdyNerdy Join Date: 2003-10-25 Member: 21954Members, Constellation
    I have a few matches from early cal days. I was in Infinite Reverence, and I have my first person vids of matches from CAL season 1 vs HAM, Pandas, Exigent, and cri. Problem is its just the demos that were required by CAL, so the whole thing is just from my perspective. LMK if you want them.