Gorge Healspray Nerf

BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Thoughts?</div>As of build 303, healspray frequency is lowered, and energy cost increased. What do you guys think of the change?

Personally, I find the change crippling and excruciating. I can barely keep my cysts or hydras alive, let alone myself. It was useless enough to try to run from battle with the nerfed slide, but now, retreat is pointless.

It feels so painful to wait so long to cast my heal, only to see it do so little. If the frequency absolutely must stay where it is, I suggest potency is buffed. I do not feel like an effective member of the team whenever I spend my 10 res to go gorge, and now feel as though I should save my res for another class.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    its far better for onos healing during base sieges, and especially for those "tank gorge" moments where the lil guy just wont die... but i can see the issues with healing structures. Considering Crags are in place for territory already controlled, as well as hives and the gorge is merely classified as a "combat engineer".. He's not really the "medic"?

Maybe increase the potency for structure healing?
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited April 2012
    I don't see the justification for it anywhere, and on paper is looks like a really bad change. In the few games I played tonight, I didn't notice any difference.
    Why? Nobody plays gorge in pubs, and if they do it's never to heal teammates.

And if we're making Team Fortress analogies, the gorge was great in ns1 / early ns2 <i>because </i>it was the medic and the engineer. There's no reason those roles have to be separate (or one has to be completely squashed out of the game) when you only have 5 lifeforms to work with (not 9).
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    edited April 2012
    If anything I thought gorge could be buffed not nerfed, you can already kill them with a single rifle mag, and standing behind an onos healing it well, so what? isn't that a legitimate tactic? just kill the gorge. I do it all the time.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1921232:date=Apr 2 2012, 07:51 PM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ Apr 2 2012, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If anything I thought gorge could be buffed not nerfed, you can already kill them with a single rifle mag, and standing behind an onos healing it well, so what? isn't that a legitimate tactic? just kill the gorge. I do it all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ehh... buffed with more abilities, sure. but buff healing? no way, it was already excessive. three marines could be firing lmgs non stop at a few hydras that a gorge is healing and it takes MINUTES to bring it down. that's too much. the opposite doesn't occur with turrets.

did you really always get the gorge in one rifle mag? cause i rarely did, even if never missing a shot - if he was sliding away and healing himself. (also keep in mind skulks die in only 10 rounds, and lerks are three times as expensive as the gorge and die just as easily, and gorgie isn't even supposed to be a "tough" lifeform.)

all this being said, do i think the adjustment went a little too far? yeah.
    so lets find the happy medium!
    what do you suggest?
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921235:date=Apr 3 2012, 12:00 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Apr 3 2012, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->all this being said, do i think the adjustment went a little too far? yeah.
    so lets find the happy medium!
    what do you suggest?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>well let's start with the basics:</b>
    where do the "25%" and "increased energy cost" come from? where do we get those numbers, and what practical difference do they make compared to the old numbers? what problem are the changes designed to solve? ("excessive" is subjective, and the sample size of games played/players playing is way too small to make judgements like that)

Obviously they make healing slower and more expensive, but how does it affect combat? What situations change, and how?

I hate to offer only questions, but you've gotta start somewhere!
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    i think this change should have waited until adrenaline is implemented.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There was no problem killing the gorge as he tried to solo heal, it was all a mater of aim. As far as the gorge/onos combo it was also easy to deal with if you flamed the 2 and focused the gorge down and then hit the onos who has no energy to do anything anymore and will probably run away. I'm hoping this was implemented for the movement chamber hive to speed up the process because as of now gorge is REALLY hard to survive on. A marine was able to shoot me a few times with a LMG then chase me down rifle butting me and I couldn't out heal it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1921244:date=Apr 3 2012, 12:17 AM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Apr 3 2012, 12:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There was no problem killing the gorge as he tried to solo heal, it was all a mater of aim. As far as the gorge/onos combo it was also easy to deal with if you flamed the 2 and focused the gorge down and then hit the onos who has no energy to do anything anymore and will probably run away. I'm hoping this was implemented for the movement chamber hive to speed up the process because as of now gorge is REALLY hard to survive on. A marine was able to shoot me a few times with a LMG then chase me down rifle butting me and I couldn't out heal it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and with how crappy bellyslide is you can't escape his rifle butt either! all these cool mechanics are coming together at last.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I hope they make the Encrust "overheal" armor effect strong to compensate for this, if it becomes an added benefit of Heal Spray in the future.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921229:date=Apr 3 2012, 05:43 AM:name=Blasphemy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blasphemy @ Apr 3 2012, 05:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally, I find the change crippling and excruciating. I can barely keep my cysts or hydras alive, let alone myself. It was useless enough to try to run from battle with the nerfed slide, but now, retreat is pointless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds excellent. Support class should not runaway anyway if hes combat healing.

Changes were made to nerf "onos + gorge" combo which btw provided 200 heal per tick negating just about any damage.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea this is pretty crippling mm! While the change might have been made to address onos + gorge, its affected everything else as well. early combat gorging is totally out of the question now. Previously it was somewhat balanced with gorge (10 res) vs 1 rifle marine (0 res) being a 50/50 depending heavily on positioning and aim. 2 rifles was unbeatable. I'm more inclined to pin any situations of "more than one rifle clip to kill gorge" on hit reg as the damage maths just doesn't support it.

The real problem i think with onos + gorge is onos being a complete stun machine being able to charge stomp with no movement penalties etc. and having stomp go through the air, walls, and over ledges. Interested to see how this change turns out with adren though.

My suggestion is keep the higher energy cost, return healspray speed to its previous speed, and reduce self healing ammount by a bit so you can still get the burst healing in but with a lower potential and with lower personal survivability.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    edited April 2012
    why shouldn't a gorge be able to hold his position against a few marines with ARs and protect his hydras that he spent non-recoverable resources on? as soon as marines get grenade launchers / ARCs it's game over for hydras anyway. plus it's not like it was an unstoppable defence, the marines could always rush in and kill the gorge(s) with the commander using nano shield and dropping medpacks, hydras don't do nearly enough damage to stop a coordinated attack like that.
  • World ConstructWorld Construct Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149616Members
    I believe that this change has nullified the overpowered gorge-onos combo at roughly the 8-15 minute mark. The only thing that I think should be different is that the healing rate should be faster; it should still cost as much "charge" as it currently does in 203.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    If Gorge-Onos combo is too powerful, then Onos needs its base armor reduced. Once the Onos is stripped of its armor, it begins taking TerribleTerrible damage, especially Shotguns.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1921270:date=Apr 3 2012, 05:08 PM:name=World Construct)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (World Construct @ Apr 3 2012, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921270"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe that this change has nullified the overpowered gorge-onos combo at roughly the 8-15 minute mark. The only thing that I think should be different is that the healing rate should be faster; it should still cost as much "charge" as it currently does in 203.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With the Gorge's healspray nerfed, there's no reason to play the class. Mini-Cysts cost more, have less health and less range than Cysts. Hydras are a giant res sink that don't do much early game and are useless mid-late, you're better off putting that res into saving for other life forms. Building acceleration is nothing compared to catalyze. No bilebomb.

The Onos being too powerful too early shouldn't be solved by making another class worse.
  • World ConstructWorld Construct Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149616Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921274:date=Apr 3 2012, 02:21 AM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Apr 3 2012, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With the Gorge's healspray nerfed, there's no reason to play the class. Mini-Cysts cost more, have less health and less range than Cysts. Hydras are a giant res sink that don't do much early game and are useless mid-late, you're better off putting that res into saving for other life forms. Building acceleration is nothing compared to catalyze. No bilebomb.

The Onos being too powerful too early shouldn't be solved by making another class worse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

After playing a few more times, I agree with this completely. Hydras are expensive and do little damage.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2012
    The gorge provided very deadly healing support to those in-and out fades. (applies to the other aliens as well, just speaking on this specific fade situation) Now that gorge actually has some downtime, the fades are also slowed down as well which I believe was an appropriate change, we can finally see some marines fighting back, plus it makes the gorge a lot more team dependant now. (please save your gorge guys!)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921287:date=Apr 3 2012, 06:10 PM:name=Luitjens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luitjens @ Apr 3 2012, 06:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The gorge provided very deadly healing support to those in-and out fades. (applies to the other aliens as well, just speaking on this specific fade situation) Now that gorge actually has some downtime, the fades are also slowed down as well which I believe was an appropriate change, we can finally see some marines fighting back, plus it makes the gorge a lot more team dependant now. (please save your gorge guys!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then increase the energy cost of heal spray, or increase shotgun damage back to a 2 shot against fade. The rof decrease is class breaking.. it really is. I have to say that once again the gorge has gotten the short end of the stick due to problems elsewhere in the game.
  • SplatdeathSplatdeath Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149884Members
    Wow.

I love playing the gorge but i am having a hard time now seeing what use i can be.

1. Hydras, i can have 5 of them up at a choke point only for a rine to wander up with his friend in tow. "Oh look hydras, arent they cute?" "Yeah we should get some for our appartment". I mean, i've spent 75 pres on that and they just wander by. Rines could spent 75 pres on 5 lots of mines and we know the amount of damage those things can do.

2. Heal spray, it was about the only useful thing i could do, spent my time looking up the ass of an Onos or 2.

Before this i was about to ask for a buff to Hydra damage as a gorge should be able to hold off 2/3 rines with 4/5 or so well placed Hydras. GL/Arc smashed my hydras to bits, as they should, but prior to that hydras should be a good defense.

Please can we undo this and buff hydra dmg or reduce their cost as currently they are laughable.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    ono gorge can be balanced by having heal.. heal less per spray on larger lifeforms... thats about it . .
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    I haven't tried the latest build yet but Gorge healspray has been op forever. It is ridiculous that 4 skulks and Gorge can crush everything and there is absolutely no counter hard counter for this especially when you do it in the first minutes. Also a gorge healing onos heals more than 100hp per healspray which made it impossible to kill before you kill the gorge. Imagine two gorges healing two onoses. That's like + 400hp per two healsprays.

I will see how it is now when i get the chance to play.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Imo, the nerf is where it should be. Great job.
    The healspray was a bit too powerful against marines.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921229:date=Apr 3 2012, 04:43 AM:name=Blasphemy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blasphemy @ Apr 3 2012, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As of build 303, healspray frequency is lowered, and energy cost increased. What do you guys think of the change?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    After i read it i think what i always think in the latest beta builds:
    <!--quoteo(post=1921229:date=Apr 3 2012, 04:43 AM:name=Blasphemy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blasphemy @ Apr 3 2012, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It feels so painful to wait so long to cast my heal, only to see it do so little. If the frequency absolutely must stay where it is,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did not play 203, but i don't want play the gorge anymore, he is already so helpless and die so fast and now he can't even heal very good.
    But i give it a try today, im sure it will suck, because it already was like you said "painful to wait so long" now more reduced...meh

<!--quoteo(post=1921428:date=Apr 3 2012, 03:23 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Apr 3 2012, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imo, the nerf is where it should be. Great job.
    The healspray was a bit too powerful against marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "too powerful against marines"? This is a joke right?
    Medpack is powerful but gorge healing?
    The gorge die about 1 or max 2 shotgun hits.
    and his healing spray take a while to kill one marine and you said its too powerful? lol!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited April 2012
    It's far far more useful for someone on the team to be a 0 res skulk and go around the map eating powernodes.

The gorge's hydras and cysts have little influence on the game, and the spit attack only kills unlucky or afk marines.

Anyone who plays gorge ends up with very little res towards the end of the game so they aren't able to help then either.

So unless you need to distract one marine with two hydras at the start of the game, there's no point playing gorge, is there?

What happens a lot of the time is you wait around the corner - doing nothing - until an alien comes for healing. If they're badly hurt they wont wait ages for a gorge to heal them they'll just go back to the hive. That's if they remember gorges can heal. Most people ignore gorges in my experience....the lerk used to be in this situation didn't it. I suppose it's harder for the devs to create these classes that don't have a fixed role.
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    I think the problem with the gorge is it has no definable role,

and nerfing heal spray just takes its ONLY usefull ability and removes it

i think healspray itself is fine, i just wonder why a gorge has more health and armor than a fade,

why would a 10 res life form be more resilliant than a 50 res life form -

whats the goal of the gorge anyway (builder? no thats the com? ) medic? seems like thats what structures are gonna do ie the Com again

not sure how a gorge will ever be usefull
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921512:date=Apr 3 2012, 12:38 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Apr 3 2012, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"too powerful against marines"? This is a joke right?
    Medpack is powerful but gorge healing?
    The gorge die about 1 or max 2 shotgun hits.
    and his healing spray take a while to kill one marine and you said its too powerful? lol!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not to mention a single lvl 0 marine still has an advantage over a vanilla Gorge with a single hydra helping him out; if the marine sucks at aiming a commander can simply shield or give him a medkit and instantly bring back the minute of continuous Gorge/hydra damage that it spent trying to hold or defend a spot.

<!--quoteo(post=1921548:date=Apr 3 2012, 02:17 PM:name=NecropsY)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NecropsY @ Apr 3 2012, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think healspray itself is fine, i just wonder why a gorge has more health and armor than a fade,

why would a 10 res life form be more resilliant than a 50 res life form -

whats the goal of the gorge anyway (builder? no thats the com? ) medic? seems like thats what structures are gonna do ie the Com again

not sure how a gorge will ever be usefull<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For me the Gorge was a heavy defensive/support unit, very useful towards fades and skulks (or lerks) that needed healing while you could position a Hydra or two on the walls alongside one on the ground to hide behind.

I can see why some people are angry at how a Gorge/Skulk combo can basically be invincible early on; though it does support 'teamwork' and helped out in a pub game when a group of skulks and myself as a Gorge broke a heavy hold on Data-core. The skulks had a health-benefit over protecting a vanilla Gorge, and the Gorge had skulks as a meatshield that enabled the four skulks to take on the half-a-dozen marines in that area.

So I haven't played this update yet, does it basically turn the Gorge heal into the slow Crag heal that can barely heal structures or units on its own?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921230:date=Apr 3 2012, 04:48 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Apr 3 2012, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its far better for onos healing during base sieges, and especially for those "tank gorge" moments where the lil guy just wont die... but i can see the issues with healing structures. Considering Crags are in place for territory already controlled, as well as hives and the gorge is merely classified as a "combat engineer".. He's not really the "medic"?

Maybe increase the potency for structure healing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or just directly nerf the effect on the onos and put it back where it was for everything else?

Healing aliens in combat is generally not effective, the only time it is effective is on the onos, so nerfing it for the onos simply brings it in line with the general rule for the rest of the aliens.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921568:date=Apr 3 2012, 08:55 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Apr 3 2012, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Or just directly nerf the effect on the onos and put it back where it was for everything else?</b>

Healing aliens in combat is generally not effective, the only time it is effective is on the onos, so nerfing it for the onos simply brings it in line with the general rule for the rest of the aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

voice of reason
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921568:date=Apr 3 2012, 03:55 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Apr 3 2012, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just directly nerf the effect on the onos and put it back where it was for everything else?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wouldn't be fair to just affect one lifeform. make healspray like alcohol. the bigger you are, the less potent it is.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    The one thing I didn't like was placing 2 or 3 hydras down in a strategical location, then having 3 or 4 marines come upon your position. They could all focus fire directly into the same hydra, and the gorge would be able to out-heal the damage indefinitely.

While I think the gorge should be able to keep up the defences he lays, it shouldn't be doable without assistance. The gorge should only be able to hold such a position for a short period of time, before desperately requiring back up.