Suggestion for next mini tournament / tie breakers

Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
While watching today's mini tournament someone had a pretty intresting idea, so I figured I should post it here before it gets lost:

Instead of having a match as tie-breaker, the win could attributed to the team who defeated the other team faster then the other team.

So basically the goal is not only to defeat the team, but also defeat the other team faster then your team did. The advantage is that we don't have game imbalances into account; eg if we have a match in a build where one side may be overpowered, this does not matter as much, as both teams get to play it. In a tie breaker just one team has that advantage.

A similar system can be found in TF2. If you for example have a CP map, and team 1 gets all points in 5 min 20, the other team has to do it in 5 min 19 to win. We already have the ingame time in the scoreboard, so it would just be a matter of letting the other team know.

Comments

• PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I kind of wouldnt mind this actually.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited April 2012
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    edited April 2012
    The fairest way to do a tiebreak at the moment (b202) is to award the tiebreaker win to the team with 2 consecutive round wins; assuming the order of marine and aliens remains the same such that the winner has to win both a marine and alien round.

When there is any semblance of balance, play to 2-0 for all the matches that matter where a draw is unacceptable. Don't look forward to this one too much, but it's the fairest obviously.

edit: And yea, I realize these are essentially identical due to b202 at the moment.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Omega, I really like your idea. The mini-live-tournament will probably work best if the games are fast and hard hitting.

In formats with more time (and not live), eh?'S suggestion would be superior.

After casting that mini-tourmant, I can't wait for the next one. But faster matches would be better, tie breakers did feel a bit artificial.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    Time based or score based doesnt work well with a gamemode like ns.
    It restricts all kind of tactics and encourages bunkering.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    With the balance so broken, this would simply mean some teams stop trying to win as marine and simply try to lose as slowly as possible. Creating boring and lame gameplay.
    I must admit I was pretty much on the edge of my seat when you flipped that coin.

<u><b>ESPORTS</b></u>
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Time counter would ruin the gameplay.

Using time counter can't fix unbalanced gameplay because the disadvantaged team would only start to bunker up without even trying to win. In the mini tournament every marine team would have just built their base full of turrets and tried to survive as long as possible while aliens try to rush the aliens down as fast as possible. This would ruin everything that is great in NS2 and turn it into a turret defense game.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1920855:date=Apr 2 2012, 11:52 AM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Apr 2 2012, 11:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920855"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Time counter would ruin the gameplay.

Using time counter can't fix unbalanced gameplay because the disadvantaged team would only start to bunker up without even trying to win. In the mini tournament every marine team would have just built their base full of turrets and tried to survive as long as possible while aliens try to rush the aliens down as fast as possible. This would ruin everything that is great in NS2 and turn it into a turret defense game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This and if the game ends very quickly (say skulkrush) opposing team needs to end game quickly leading into predictable rush tactic that can be easily countered.

Pretty sure this has been discussed over and over again 2 straight wins seems the best even if it means commentator passing out or rescheduling.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Crossposting this:

<!--quoteo(post=1920609:date=Apr 1 2012, 07:17 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Apr 1 2012, 07:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1920609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, thanks to whoever organized this, and to NS2HD for casting.

While (basically) losing to a coin flip was annoying, it isn't really a problem with the tournament format. It's more of a problem with the current game balance. In tournaments spread over several days you can play tie breaker maps instead, but for one day tournaments there just isn't enough time for that. Coin flip for third round side choice is the least-invasive option to ensure matches don't go on forever, as all the other options, like instituting a "fastest win" rule, come with much worse side-effects.

Echoing what some other people have mentioned; it would be nice if future tournaments catered to the European side as well. The community is so small right now that it doesn't make much sense to organize US or EU only tournaments. Starting it a bit earlier in the evening, as well as including a European server would be much appreciated.

For matches between EU and US teams, I suggest the following: Do the tie breaker coin flip before any rounds have been played. The team who wins the coin flip gets to decide either (a) which side to play first, which will also be their tie breaker side, or (b) which server to play on. The team who loses the coin flip gets to decide on the option that the coin flip winner didn't pick.

For example: Team Europe wins the coin flip. They pick option (a) and elect to play aliens first. Team USA then decides that the match will be played on a server located in the US. If it goes to a tie breaker, Team Europe will play aliens, but the match will still be played on a server located in the US.

What this basically does, is balance the matchup as much as it is possible to balance it, by pitting the ping advantage against the side advantage. As game balance (hopefully) improves, choosing the option to pick server location might even be the "best" choice as it influences the match both in the first two rounds and the tie breaker.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Holy ######, you were serious?
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Fana... a coin flip is a 50/50 chance..... how much fair do you need it? As for teh servers you guys had to deal with it due to coming into the match last second. This was set-up almost a week in advance and i pulled some string to make it bigger. It started at a scrim with just All-In and #156. Then i asked 420 and D|S. D|S had there reasons to step out. So we were gonna do a 3 team match. Then the EU team got in contact with me i told them what it was and if i could i would. You guys played well ping may have been a factor. But i see everything your saying on a few posts as butt hurt because you didnt win and your trying to justify your lose.... So you lost due to us getting lucky coin flips(156 didnt cry about it....) and then teh time zones and in being just a NA match to start with...... Dunno what to say bud.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2012
    Insecure much? I never said anything about your victory not being deserved, which it was as per the rules of the tournament, nor am I complaining about the way that particular tournament was run.

I'm suggesting a way to improve future tournaments. If you disagree with my suggestions, I suggest you argue against that instead of interpreting this as some sort of criticism, which it isn't.
    Ping advantage not even remotely on the same footing as side advantage at the moment.

QED
    I got no reasons to be insecure. What is a flaw of the way it is was done? Both teams win. A team calls heads or tails... 50/50 chance.
  • -[420]-Papageorgio-[420]-Papageorgio Join Date: 2011-09-23 Member: 122961Members
    edited April 2012
    I really like the idea of the whole time thing. My only fear as stated above, is purposely turtling. So the idea may work against itself.
    Time will only lead to rushing other teams and you wont see as much strats and stuff.
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921036:date=Apr 2 2012, 09:14 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Apr 2 2012, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ping advantage not even remotely on the same footing as side advantage at the moment.

QED<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's better than nothing. Writing things like "QED" doesn't actually strengthen your argument, it just makes you look like a tool.

<!--quoteo(post=1921040:date=Apr 2 2012, 09:33 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Apr 2 2012, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I got no reasons to be insecure. What is a flaw of the way it is was done? Both teams win. A team calls heads or tails... 50/50 chance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be a ridiculous argument even if the sides were equal, but even more so when they're biased to the point where 7 out of 8 rounds in the tournament were won by the alien side. What you're arguing for isn't competition, it's gambling.
    edited April 2012
    <b>It's demonstrable that it is not better than nothing. </b>

Team A and B are now in the position where they can choose to play on their server as marines or play on the opponents' server as aliens.

What sane human being picks anything but the 99% win rate side? How is 99% more fair than 50% at the moment. It's either they're cocky as ###### / nice guys or they've been agonizing over which way the toilet paper should hang from.

It's also somewhat ironic because now you're in a position where both teams want to play on the others' server so how do you decide who hosts at this point fairly? Coinflip.

QED

What you're arguing for isn't competition it's lobotomies.
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921054:date=Apr 2 2012, 10:05 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Apr 2 2012, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's demonstrable that it is not better than nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, this is a lie. Playing marines with the ping advantage is preferable to playing marines without the ping advantage.

If you're arguing for your "play until a side wins two consecutive rounds", that just isn't feasible under this tournament format, nor is it an argument against my suggestion. I'm suggesting a way to improve the "coin flip" method. If the coin flip method isn't used, obviously my suggestion has no relevance.

Edit: I just re-read your post, and I didn't even see this because, I guess, it was just too dumb to consider:
    <!--quoteo(post=1921054:date=Apr 2 2012, 10:05 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Apr 2 2012, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What sane human being picks anything but the 99% win rate side? How is 99% more fair than 50% at the moment. It's either they're cocky as ###### / nice guys or they've been agonizing over which way the toilet paper should hang from.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I sincerely hope you realize, and that this was just a typo, that my suggestion still includes the 50/50 coin flip.
  • xorexxorex Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148550Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    American football flips a coin to pick who picks what. They dont flip to see where there playing. Your butt hurt and have a ego to live up to. IE your sig. "aka. Fana www.ninelegends.com" It yells look at what i was before. Kinda like the people making a thread of i was a ns1 vet i must be good...... LOOK AT ME!!!!!
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1921064:date=Apr 2 2012, 09:47 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Apr 2 2012, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOOK AT ME!!!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    His avatar strangely backs up your senseless ramblings.
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1921064:date=Apr 2 2012, 10:47 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Apr 2 2012, 10:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->American football flips a coin to pick who picks what. They dont flip to see where there playing. Your butt hurt and have a ego to live up to. IE your sig. "aka. Fana wwwninelegends.com" It yells look at what i was before. Kind like the people making a threw of im a ns1 vet i must be good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem</a>

I have "aka. Fana" in my signature because I can't change my forum username. I have a link to my NS1 team's website because we intend to reform for NS2 when it has improved sufficiently and because I've posted articles related to NS2 there previously.

Again, I have to ask why you, and apparently one of your team mates as well, are so eager to attack me. If you're embarassed about winning a tournament because a coin flipped in your favour, maybe I'm not the person you should be taking it out on.

<!--quoteo(post=1921067:date=Apr 2 2012, 10:53 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 2 2012, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->His avatar strangely backs up your senseless ramblings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What, you don't like my moves?
    We won because we beat you. Not due to a coin toss.... last time i checked anyways....... The coin toss was just luck.
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    As I dont feel JuCCi-PuCCi is bringing the discussion further, I wanna ask weather NS1 was considered balanced in the end? If the game ever gets balanced, maybe this will be less of an issue.

I have another idea to bring to the table. I haven't really thought this through yet, but I know that in some cases in SC2 where the game ends premature, referees can step in and decide who will get the win. Im not a big fan of boxing, but im pretty sure they have some 3 referee system which decide the winner if noone got KOed, decided by some form of point system.

Perhaps these two could be combined in a form where we have 3 referees which in case of ties awards one side the win. I know its not the best, but I feel its just better than any coin flipping in the world.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited April 2012
    Let the coins flip! (sarcasm)
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Coins should be used to buy stuff, not getting flipped :/
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1921014:date=Apr 2 2012, 12:03 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Apr 2 2012, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1921014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For matches between EU and US teams, I suggest the following: Do the tie breaker coin flip before any rounds have been played. The team who wins the coin flip gets to decide either (a) which side to play first, which will also be their tie breaker side, or (b) which server to play on. The team who loses the coin flip gets to decide on the option that the coin flip winner didn't pick.

For example: Team Europe wins the coin flip. They pick option (a) and elect to play aliens first. Team USA then decides that the match will be played on a server located in the US. If it goes to a tie breaker, Team Europe will play aliens, but the match will still be played on a server located in the US.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this, but I don't see why you wouldn't choose the ping advantage everytime if you won the coin toss. Now, I could see a trade-off if you did this for each game rather than the match. For example, for game 1, Team USA wins the toss and picks aliens and Team Europe picks a EU server. For game 2, another coin toss occurs, Team USA wins and can choose aliens again, which gives Team Europe the choice to pick a EU server again. If Team Europe had won the coin toss for game 2, they instead could have chosen aliens, and let Team USA pick a US server.

In effect, this makes the options more balanced such that the most likely choices will be
    1. Choose aliens and play at a ping disadvantage
    2. Choose the ping advantage and play as marines

Of course, this requires each team to have a server ready and would be a bit more disruptive due to changing servers between games. However, I think that's no worse than the other options out for promoting fair intercontinental NS2 scrimming.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    This is all pointless. All the games were coin tosses and until the game is somewhat balanced no one can claim superiority over the others unless you win all your games as both aliens and marines. In my mind its a draw until a team can take a game as marines.