Gorge Ns1/ns2

tactictactic Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149544Members, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">gorge abilities ?!</div>Hello yall!

Now, ie played the beta for a bit, and i really do enjoy it. it still has this feeling of NS1 in it only better gfx and HUD. (imo)

but its one thing i stumbled across that i really didnt like.

The Gorge abilities.

I probably have about tons and tons of hours in Ns1 or something by now and ive played that game so much for so many years, and the unit i played the most was the gorge.

when i first heard about ns2 and started to see the pictures of the game i got so excited to know that id be able to play the gorge again in a better,nicer environment and better game. but alas, i got dissapointed because the gorge doesnt have the same purpose in ns2 as in ns1.

cut to the chase : In ns1 gorges had the ability to make harvesters, and hydras and heal. In ns2 (SO FAR ) they can make hydras, cysts and heal ( plus the attack bomb thingy with upgrades ofc)

but they cant do harvesters.. thats now controlled by the Kaharaa commander, now this i think is pretty boring. cuz its like the unit i love the most in this game has been "nerfed", in a bad way.

I dont feel that gorges can give much to the kaharaa anymore, sure then can do hydras but they are pretty worthless, the only real good gorges can do now in NS2 is spreading cysts and healing which i guess is okay but still pretty boring to ONLY be able to do that for the team.

with harvesters you can still play gorge in a fun and agressive way if you want to, but also play the gorge as a support and make harvesters for your commander and team.but no, in Ns2 we have drifters that the commander uses to build harvesters and leaving the ol' fat gorge totally empty and sad inside.

while im at it. PLEASE UW, fix the Fade leap..its a 5 meters big monster,its not supposed to vanish into thin air its supposed to LEAP to jump away not teleport and go invis for about 10 seconds.

TLDR; give Gorge back their ability to make harvesters,they are so boring now,and not rly a good profit for the team
Fix Fades leap into a actual LEAP and not a teleport, and if NO..rename it to Teleport, or Vanish or whatever. cuz its Deffo not a Leap.

ALSO: im aware its beta, so all this COULD change in the actual game, im not bashing im just speaking my mind of what I think would be awesome in my own personal experience, but i think they most people would agree on the <b>Fade leap</b>, at least what ive heard from inside the game and from other players playing.

Peace!

tactic out !

if you have any ideas or just wanna speak your mind, feel free :) lets have a fix-debate.

Comments

• SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    Alien Commander and gorge will get a Lot of new buildings, actions, spells etc.
    I think we have to wait for the next patches when UWE implement what they planned!
    But yes, I agree, atm he has Not enough to do, and hydras are too weak imo!
  • tactictactic Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149544Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1918916:date=Mar 28 2012, 12:06 PM:name=Solitario)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solitario @ Mar 28 2012, 12:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien Commander and gorge will get a Lot of new buildings, actions, spells etc.
    I think we have to wait for the next patches when UWE implement what they planned!
    But yes, I agree, atm he has Not enough to do, and hydras are too weak imo!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah i think and hope so to,that it will change, i believe there will be quite some changes before the game releases, but just figure it be good to post my thoughts here so maybe some UWE developer can see and read it.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Alien commander and gorge nerf has been a major source of controversies, as you can imagine. There is a lot of threads about it and all kind of arguments. They keep coming periodically, when a ns1 player enter the beta and goes "wtf?". A sticky thread about the major controversies could help.

However the dev's said that it will not change, so I guess that's about it.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    One problem I saw with the old gorge model was its relevance throughout the game.

At the start of the game, what would usually happen is some random person who didn't intend on dropping the hive or going early lerk would gorge, drop a harvester, then suicide back to a skulk. Later on, someone, designated as the hive dropper, would go gorge, drop the hive, then suicide back to a skulk. Towards the end of the game, if the aliens had marines cornered in their base, a player with an abundance of res wuld go gorge, drop a hospital nearby, then suicide back to skulk.

There was very rarely any point in staying gorge, because lets face it, as much as you want to believe it, the gorge does pretty much nothing offensively in combat, and its supportive roll could pretty much be covered by a group of 2 defence chambers.

One thing I think the devs did notice was the effectiveness of webs. The gorge could quickly set up in an area in order to defend it against incoming marines. Not by fighting them directly, but by being the combat engineer that UWE see the gorge as now. I think by focusing on this aspect, players are given concrete reasons for remaining gorge for an entire round.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1918900:date=Mar 28 2012, 10:17 AM:name=tactic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tactic @ Mar 28 2012, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->while im at it. PLEASE UW, fix the Fade leap..its a 5 meters big monster,its not supposed to vanish into thin air its supposed to LEAP to jump away not teleport and go invis for about 10 seconds.

TLDR; give Gorge back their ability to make harvesters,they are so boring now,and not rly a good profit for the team
    Fix Fades leap into a actual LEAP and not a teleport, and if NO..rename it to Teleport, or Vanish or whatever. cuz its Deffo not a Leap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is no fade leap. There is a (in my opinion redundant) shadow step and the blink. Both are supposed to be teleports. Look at the fade-introducing trailer or just play marine and watch a fade. Its clearly a teleport and not a leap and its supposed to be this way. The skulk has a leap.
  • tactictactic Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149544Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1918937:date=Mar 28 2012, 02:04 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Mar 28 2012, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is no fade leap. There is a (in my opinion redundant) shadow step and the blink. Both are supposed to be teleports. Look at the fade-introducing trailer or just play marine and watch a fade. Its clearly a teleport and not a leap and its supposed to be this way. The skulk has a leap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes its clearly made that way, which i think is stupid.

consider this:

you are a marine,and a fade comes, If hes a smart and good fade he'd just press LeAp, go behind you ,press leap go infront of you ,press leap go behind you.

and between every leap he's invisible leaving the marine blind, and dead .. OFC he can just blink in and two shot him but seriously,this is one working way .

and its not supposed (IMHO) to be like that. you're supposed to see the leap and in that way making it a better spell AND balancing it.

and what the other guy said about gorge probably make sense, but as i said i used to paly alot of gorge, and i only used the "big acid ball" attack and normal attacks to be agressive with gorge and it works fine, IF you know how to do it.

so gorge is a very good agressive and supportive class but UWE has totally nerfed their potential to be a agressive choice, and rather a supportive base-camping/front healing roll.

i like the game, but this would make gorge much better in late-game and overall.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    As seen in the high-level design doc, the Gorge would be getting a larger pool of abilities (compared to other lifeforms):

Spit, Heal Spray, <Encrust>, Build (Mini-Cyst, Hydra, <Clog>**, and <Spider>***), where < > = in development, * = unlock at # of Hives.

Regarding Harvester, I believe it would be best left for Alien Comm. who handles Team Res, or else # of Harvesters would scale with # of players/Gorges due to Personal Res (and I don't think devs want Gorges messing with TRes either).
  • SursniperSursniper Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149573Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1919048:date=Mar 28 2012, 08:53 PM:name=tactic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tactic @ Mar 28 2012, 08:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes its clearly made that way, which i think is stupid.

consider this:

you are a marine,and a fade comes, If hes a smart and good fade he'd just press LeAp, go behind you ,press leap go infront of you ,press leap go behind you.

and between every leap he's invisible leaving the marine blind, and dead .. OFC he can just blink in and two shot him but seriously,this is one working way .

and its not supposed (IMHO) to be like that. you're supposed to see the leap and in that way making it a better spell AND balancing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Huh? Fayde is not very resistant, it's based on dodge (using blink and shadowsteps) to survive. Thats his gameplay, as his name implies. Played heroes of newerth? Fayde is an agility hero whose ult is an invis.
    In some dev videos back then, the fayde was able to teleport around marines (behind them) in a single click to slash murder them.
    So as you can see, he's not made to LEAP directly onto marines, but blink out of planar existance to murder marines.

I remind you that this is a relatively high lifeform, and as such it should be able to kill marines in 1vs1, as it did in NS1...

<!--quoteo(post=1919048:date=Mar 28 2012, 08:53 PM:name=tactic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tactic @ Mar 28 2012, 08:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and what the other guy said about gorge probably make sense, but as i said i used to paly alot of gorge, and i only used the "big acid ball" attack and normal attacks to be agressive with gorge and it works fine, IF you know how to do it.

so gorge is a very good agressive and supportive class but UWE has totally nerfed their potential to be a agressive choice, and rather a supportive base-camping/front healing roll.

i like the game, but this would make gorge much better in late-game and overall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yea as a gorge right now I feel like it's a little hard to play if you only support Skulks. The spit has a nice "effect" on marine screens, and slows (I think?!), but the damages are REALLY low and you don't do much at all because your armor is so weak even with carapace a single full clip on your slow pig face and you go down.
    I appreciate however the mini-cysts on walls/ceilings, it just need it's full skills and as PsiWarp said, they are getting there probably soon.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1919048:date=Mar 28 2012, 07:53 PM:name=tactic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tactic @ Mar 28 2012, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes its clearly made that way, which i think is stupid.

consider this:

and its not supposed (IMHO) to be like that. you're supposed to see the leap and in that way making it a better spell AND balancing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, the skulk has already a leap. Why should the fade have the same mechanic. It's redundant and not needed for the fade. The teleport is a complete other mechanic. As you described it, it's right. It's supposed to be quick and ninja style. And by the way, really cool. (Watch the fade trailer!) It's bad game design, having the same attack on two different lifeforms.