Data Collection to Help Balance?

serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Is it being done?</div>Was just thinking that I see a lot of complaining about balance in games and on the forums, and a lot of it is comprised of conflicting claims about what happens in games. I for one would love to see some hard statistics available to give a bit more substance to these conversations. A suspect a lot could be done without heavily taxing performance. If each game yielded stats on:

who won the game
when techs, structures and lifeforms start and finish researching
when tech points are taken
when structures are destroyed
which map was played and what the starting points are
what build is being played
when a player dies or spawns

a lot of other data might be possible, but all this could be collected without too much change from build to build, and a LOT could be studied from it:

is the game actually favoring aliens or marines from build to build?
what are the most reliable early signs that it's gg? (arc train? onos? destroyed 2nd hive?)
which team dies more?
which features become "useless" or "OP" from build to build?
etc.

If stats like these are already being collected, <i>could we have them please?</i>

I'll bet a handful of diligent free-labor community number crunchers could help the community provide far more accurate and useful feedback for UWE from build to build, and I'd personally love to see some actual numbers about what's going on.

Comments

• thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    I'm not sure what data is taken, but UWE does take data.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jump they have those datas. If you take a look in the Design Doc you will se that they have data like average lifetime of all Ents, win-los rates per map, average kills per life per lifeform erc.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We are already collecting and processing most of this information.
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Doh, don't know how to delete accidental posts. Disregard.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    You should collect this information from organized games instead of public games.
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1918128:date=Mar 26 2012, 11:36 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Mar 26 2012, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are already collecting and processing most of this information.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Any chance we could have it? :)
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1918128:date=Mar 26 2012, 10:36 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Mar 26 2012, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are already collecting and processing most of this information.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the data is anonymous, you should release it to the community. Some people go crazy over this and could help provide insight!