Weird Death Things?

TheDestroyerTheDestroyer Tooobah Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18123Members, Constellation
Just had a couple of death related mishaps.

First, the only one I managed to get proof of was when I was walking around with 0/0 health/armor. I was a walking zombrine I guess.
<a href="http://www.simoncoffman.com/files/2012-03-25_00024.jpg" target="_blank">Screenshot (4320x900)</a>

Another was when an Onos was stomping me and knocking me on the ground. He did it twice in a row. When I recovered and went to shoot him, my mouse clicks, both right and left, would not respond. It wasn't until after my immediate death until I could shoot again.

Last was at end game. IPs and Comm Chair gone, we all died, game end music starts playing. I magically spawn in the marine start, gun in hand, able to shoot for a few seconds until the map reset.

Comments

• CMarkCMark Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149256Members
    edited March 2012
    I can't speak for the first thing since it has not happened to me. I do believe however, that is is something that would occur if you are not damaged for a whole percent but rather 0.45 or something along those lines. It happened to me in another indie game I used to play. Whenever a bomb in this game went off and you were standing at a certain angle it sometimes didn't deal full damage, but instead took away around 0.5-0.15 health. Your health indicator showed up as 0 but in reality you still had 0.5 health or something left.

The gun not firing has occured to me as well, twice. Just like with you it happened after been knocked down by an Onos. First time I ended up dying before I was able to "solve" it. Second time I survived because I was backed up by some people. Switch to another gun you have and then switch back. For example, switch over to your knife then proceed to equip the rifle again. That allowed me to use it again.

I've never seen the last thing you mention so I wont say anything about it.

Edit: Formatting.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I think Onos stomp does that to the weapons. Switch to pistol and back and it should work again.
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1917952:date=Mar 26 2012, 04:47 AM:name=TheDestroyer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheDestroyer @ Mar 26 2012, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First, the only one I managed to get proof of was when I was walking around with 0/0 health/armor. I was a walking zombrine I guess.
    <a href="http://www.simoncoffman.com/files/2012-03-25_00024.jpg" target="_blank">Screenshot (4320x900)</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that error is related to the UI that won't display for example 0,75hp, as it rounds up/down or just removes the ",75". This error happens quite regular, so don't worry :P

<!--quoteo(post=1917952:date=Mar 26 2012, 04:47 AM:name=TheDestroyer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheDestroyer @ Mar 26 2012, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another was when an Onos was stomping me and knocking me on the ground. He did it twice in a row. When I recovered and went to shoot him, my mouse clicks, both right and left, would not respond. It wasn't until after my immediate death until I could shoot again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A Onos jams your weapon when stomping. I'm not sure how long it lasts as I'm most of the time dead before I can stand up again. But you should be able to switch your weapon to attack with your Switchaxe for example - I'm not sure about your pistol, you should try it guess it won't work :)

<!--quoteo(post=1917952:date=Mar 26 2012, 04:47 AM:name=TheDestroyer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheDestroyer @ Mar 26 2012, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Last was at end game. IPs and Comm Chair gone, we all died, game end music starts playing. I magically spawn in the marine start, gun in hand, able to shoot for a few seconds until the map reset.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh that's quite "normal". I have that every game when losing as Marine :P Not sure if it's a feature or a bug.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    The 0 health bug shouldn't be possible, unless you actually do have 0 health but aren't dead yet.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->self.healthText:SetText(tostring(math.ceil(currentHealth)))<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    math.ceil rounds up.
    Interestingly, the (older) alien code behaves differently:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->    // It's probably better to do a math.ceil for display health instead of floor, but NS1 did it this way
        // and I want to make sure the values are exactly the same to avoid confusion right now. When you are
        // barely alive though, show 1 health.
        local health = PlayerUI_GetPlayerHealth()
        local displayHealth = math.floor(health)
        if health > 0 and displayHealth == 0 then
            displayHealth = 1
        end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    Either way, if it says you have 0 health, then you actually do have 0 health... unless there's some sort of issue with floating point accuracy.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I just fixed the 0 hp bug.

Dghelneshi, you are correct in that math.ceil() should handle this for us. However, there was another problem with how the network field for health was defined which caused it to be rounded in the engine. So in this case I just make sure the health never displays as 0 if the player is still alive (sort of like how that alien code works).

Thanks