Hints on loading screen?

assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
edited March 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Would it pay off?</div>I feel ns2 should have hints on the loading screen with ideas that may not seem completely obvious to average players. Just like tf2's hints.

Something along the lines of
"When placing hydras, put them in areas crucial to your teams needs, but in places where marines wont think to look until its too late!"

Things like that ^, short and simple.
If anyone agrees then feel free to chuck more in.

edit: only problem is the reason it worked in tf2 was cause both the teams had the same classes :/, so in ns someone planning to play marines would prolly get an alien hint, and vice versa.
Small issue but you know how it goes.

Comments

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    +1. i actually think they should point out the details you usually don't figure out yourself. like recycling a damaged building returning less ressources than a full-health one. or that an onos is able to smash doors (in the future). or that lerks can roost.
    if i had to pick one important one, it would probably be something like: "Whips whack back grenades from the grenade launcher attachment." you will find this out by yourself but it might be quite frustrating to lose your 25 pres like this.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    I'm pretty sure this is already planned, if not before v1.0, then after.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Tips on loading screens are always a good idea IMO
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    What about making this thread a hint suggestions thread?

<ul><li>When placing hydras, put them in areas crucial to your teams needs, but in places where marines wont think to look until its too late!</li><li>You can roost as a Lerk by hitting the <key> key while close to a wall or ceiling.</li><li>Damaged buildings return less resources when recycled.</li><li>Whips will toss grenades back to you.</li><li>Stick together! You are much more effective by fighting in a group.</li><li>Power nodes are required to power buildings. </li><li>Alien structures need infestation. Structures without infestation will slowly die (except the Whip).</li><li>You can restore the armor of other marines with the welder.</li><li>Listen to your commander and follow his orders, even when you think he is making bad decisions. A team without team play is worse than a bad commander.</li><li>Communication is the key to win. Use the voice chat for more efficiency.</li></ul>
  • Gorge CostanzaGorge Costanza Join Date: 2012-03-16 Member: 148861Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1915777:date=Mar 20 2012, 11:43 PM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Mar 20 2012, 11:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Something along the lines of
    "When placing hydras, put them in areas crucial to your teams needs, but in places where marines wont think to look until its too late!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I hate when I'm a marine and I turn the corner into a hallway with 5 hydras. Oh no, I'm going to lose 20 health! :P
    <ul><li>Always heal spray your wounded team members as a gorge by holding right click. They may save your life.</li><li>Sentry turrets have a cone of fire. Stay in front of them.</li><li>Use your map often (<key>). It is important to know what's going on on the map.</li><li>Time your shots with a shotgun. Aliens are incredibly fast, so you don't want to miss.</li><li>Burning aliens can't regenerate adrenalin which cripples their combat and movement capabilities. </li><li>The <key> key will open your evolve menu. Use it to get upgrades or to evolve into stronger life forms.</li><li>There are two kinds of resources. Personal resources are used by each individual player to get new weapons or life forms and team resources are used by the commander to build new structures or research new technology.</li><li>Get better weapons at the armory.</li><li>You can request med packs, ammo packs and orders from your commander. Use the <key> key to open your request menu.</li></ul>
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I've fallen in love with Skyrim's model showcase while loading as well. That way the tip could actually inform you what an Armory is and how it looks like, and what people actually mean when they say "CC" or "Infestation".
  • InfraRedInfraRed Join Date: 2003-01-20 Member: 12508Members, Constellation
    For a game like this it's essential, and after release there will no doubt be that typical thread on the forums of tips that your average player wouldn't have figured out. If the devs keep adding more to the loading screens based off what people share, then it would be even better.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The idea is good, but it will be hard to read longer tips, because NS2 loads so fast.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1916029:date=Mar 21 2012, 10:06 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Mar 21 2012, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 loads fast<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    >:(((((((
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    make a mod for it right now... that way they can implement it quickly at a later point in time. we just need to have access to that stuff.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916029:date=Mar 22 2012, 10:06 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Mar 22 2012, 10:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The idea is good, but it will be hard to read longer tips, because NS2 loads so fast.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats why we gotta aim to keep them short and simple, i know the stuff may sound obvious but some of these mechanics just do go right over the top of peoples heads.

And the idea of a tips thread in the forum is good, but from experience not everyone who plays online games gets involved with the community, and decide to just jump in and start playing. Tips on loading screen would ease the learning curve for those with no patience :)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Hint of the day:<b> Turn off flashlights when unnecessary</b>.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916202:date=Mar 22 2012, 08:57 PM:name=LV426-Colonist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LV426-Colonist @ Mar 22 2012, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hint of the day:<b> Turn off flashlights when unnecessary</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that sounds more like an order, rather than a tip ;)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    Not really.

With the atmospherics in this game you can't see ###### while your teammate is blinding you.

Not to mention the fact that it might just give away your position.
    <!--quoteo(post=1916191:date=Mar 22 2012, 06:26 AM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Mar 22 2012, 06:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thats why we gotta aim to keep them short and simple, i know the stuff may sound obvious but some of these mechanics just do go right over the top of peoples heads.

And the idea of a tips thread in the forum is good, but from experience not everyone who plays online games gets involved with the community, and decide to just jump in and start playing. Tips on loading screen would ease the learning curve for those with no patience :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No no, no, you misunderstood my post.. I was suggestesting to create a list of tips for UWE to implement, not the forum ;). I fully support your suggestion.

I think those tool tips are just necessary, considering the depth of the game. You need to imagine you have never ever played Natural Selection 1 or 2. New players will feel lost. Even the basic things are not always clear to everyone. Just remember your first time playing NS1.

There is also an easy fix for the loading times being too fast. When the loading is finished you simply add the <press any key to play> function at the end. Make an option to disable it, for the people whining about it.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Although the initial load screen (to main menu) takes only a few seconds, the map load screen takes 10-30 seconds. Given this, tips would go better on the map load screen.

Someone should create a tips page on the Wiki (with a limitation on on the number of words, like 20).