End Game

slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Something that really bothers me right now is that, once a Command Chair or all the Hives are destroyed, the game just ends. I realize that they are trying to get rid of the whole "hide and seek" part of the End Games of NS1, but hear me out...

I really don't think there would be a problem finding and killing any remaining Marines once the Command Chair is destroyed. Most vents are inaccessible to Marines and with the Alien's vision, finding them would be even easier. It would probably take a minute to sweep the map and find the last Marine alive.

Aliens are a lot different this time around. In NS1, all the Aliens had to do was find a little vent or something and place Defense Chambers in there. This time though, Aliens need Cysts to keep their structures alive. If the Aliens have no Hives, the cysts become disconnected and slowly die off. This means that once the Cysts are gone, any Crags, Whips, Shades, etc., that have been placed will die off quickly as well. And Aliens would lose health over time, just like in NS1.
My suggestion for this would be, once all the Hives are dead, all the Cysts have an accelerated rate at which they die. I might also add to it that Aliens can't make any "Gorge hideouts" in vents either.

I don't see the problem with having the whole Hide and Seek thing going on in NS2. It seems like it would be tons easier to find the remaining members of that one team as well.

The reason I'm bringing this up is mainly for the Marines sake. I play Alien 90% of the time. Something I don't like is when we do a rush and take out the command chair, and then the game just ends, even though the majority of the Marine team is still alive.

Comments

• DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    I'm a bit torn on this. Gorge dens should remain a thing of the past, yet I have played many games as aliens where a bunch of us (as skulks) just bum rush marine start and take out the cc. Losing the comand chair is a clear and present danger for any team of marines, but the instant round end often seems a bit sudden. In other words the transition of a team being alive and being dead seems way too quantized and I'd rather victory be decided by the death of one team's last sfructure. All this without making a boring game.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Will be terribly boring for the already dead marines. For what benefit? A meta-game that is only fun for the few hiding marines?
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    I feel like this issue is more about a lack of closure at the end of a long game that both teams have invested a lot of time and energy into and should be less about hide and seek and the last man standing.

I don't know how to solve this but I do have an idea:
    Once the command station(s) and hive(s) are destroyed and victory is established, allow the game to go on for another 30-45.
    At the end of this time, have all aliens simply disintegrate into bacteria and marines beacon to their "HQ"/ready room.

Its simple, adds closure, takes minimal coding and animation and eliminates hide and seek mechanic.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1915387:date=Mar 20 2012, 02:33 PM:name=Ohnojojo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ohnojojo @ Mar 20 2012, 02:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915387"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like this issue is more about a lack of closure at the end of a long game that both teams have invested a lot of time and energy into and should be less about hide and seek and the last man standing.

I don't know how to solve this but I do have an idea:
    Once the command station(s) and hive(s) are destroyed and victory is established, allow the game to go on for another 30-45.
    At the end of this time, have all aliens simply disintegrate into bacteria and marines beacon to their "HQ"/ready room.

Its simple, adds closure, takes minimal coding and animation and eliminates hide and seek mechanic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, that sounds nice. The dead ones will be moved to the ready room right away. The others can play hide and seek and you get some time to call a map vote or look at your score until the map change comes.
  • deaglecrazydeaglecrazy Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73106Members
    As annoying as it was I really do miss having a nice sized room in the middle of a vent and just spamming defense chambers as a gorge haha.

The ending right now for sure sucks, hell theres been times after a long ass battle I find myself in the readyroom going, I have nooo idea who even won :S