NS2 @ PAX

Comments

• OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1914660:date=Mar 18 2012, 01:49 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 18 2012, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We have been toying with the idea of a very <b>small</b>, purely cosmetic DLC that PAX booth visitors could redeem. The idea is that visitors to the booth would receive a little card with a code - If they then pre-ordered NS2, they could redeem the code for the small cosmetic DLC. Nothing even remotely on the scale of Black Armour/Armor (I'm starting to learn US spelling...), perhaps just a small scoreboard icon.

It's an option for the PAX arsenal we are trying to prepare to fight the mega-budget uber-booths, gorilla warfare style.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

WAIT.... So you're coming to my hometown? The whole UWE team?
    WTF!?
    Can't wait, also I wonder what the DLC will be.

Charlie? Max? Cory? Brian 1 & 2? Dushan? Hugh?

######. I'm about to bile bomb myself.

Any word on the price of the DLC?
    <a href="http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/264241-shut-up-and-take-my-money" target="_blank">http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/264241-shut...d-take-my-money</a>
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1914662:date=Mar 18 2012, 07:52 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Mar 18 2012, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How bout a 3 day cd key for a them and a friend to test it out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm with JuCCi-PuCci on this one.
    Getting something ingame would be unfair to those who preordered and received the black armor.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guess I need to start blackmailing Zek to get me a code then.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1915311:date=Mar 20 2012, 04:23 AM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Mar 20 2012, 04:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am sorry, but I dont see how people living close to the event are in any way more dedicated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not a reward for dedication, it's a marketing tool. It's the digital equivalent of giving out badges or stickers at booths; it gets people's interest and gives them something to help them remember the game and hopefully stand out. Nobody's going to have the money or time they've already spent on NS2 diminished by missing out on a shiny token.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1915445:date=Mar 20 2012, 10:17 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Mar 20 2012, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not a reward for dedication, it's a marketing tool. It's the digital equivalent of giving out badges or stickers at booths; it gets people's interest and gives them something to help them remember the game and hopefully stand out. Nobody's going to have the money or time they've already spent on NS2 diminished by missing out on a shiny token.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is diminished if you're a perfectionist. I don't know if you guys can understand that but it is a real thing. I see what you're saying but I think the people that care the most about tokens like this are existing fans, most of which can't attend the event. It's not fair to them IMO. And again I am going to stop by and get whatever unlock you guys offer so I'm not saying this to be petty.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well it is the equivalent to the standard pet or skin given away at other events like blizzcon or riot games booth.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Dunno what blizzard does, but riot games has them available for a few bucks in their shop for ppl that cant visit an event...

But just depends if you like some random strangers visiting the booth to sell those codes afterwards and make some money or not, looking on how limited those codes will be if they are only available for 3 days for pax visitors - easily a potential to sell them for 10$ per code maybe more. (thats money those strangers could make and dont spent a single cent on your game, if you(uwe) sell those codes for 2-5$ yourselfs on the homepage its you making the money and you making a few collector fans happy that cant visit the event.)

It can still be a limited time offer and not be available ever again after this time...
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I saw the UWE live video for a few minutes today while they were discussing the design of the UW PAX booth.
    For those that didn't see it, it was:
    - Approx 20 ft long by 5 ft wide table
    - 7 PCs (keyboard/mouse/LCD showing) on each side - 14 total.
    - Each side had a main slightly offsetted (demo?) pc in the middle, with 3 (live gaming?) pcs on each side.
    - Above each set of 3 pcs was a single 40 inch "show-off" display which could switch between inputs.
    - Above the demo PC was a piller rising 10 ft with a 52 inch display on it.
    - On top of the piller was a 3-sided NS2 logo, about 8 ft wide per side.

The 40 inch displays will periodically (automatically?) switch between input from the 3 live gaming pcs.
    The 52 inch displays will probably either show what is on the demo pc or maybe some pre-recorded videos.

Sounds like fun, and a great break from the ever-present task of game development. Good luck guys!
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    For someone who isn't a hardcore UWE follower I don't see an icon on the score bored being enough to draw attention.

If UWE is trying to attract new interest they need to have something more tangible.

If it's not too late I would recommend a concept art book signed by the team.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1916011:date=Mar 21 2012, 04:19 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Mar 21 2012, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For someone who isn't a hardcore UWE follower I don't see an icon on the score bored being enough to draw attention.

If UWE is trying to attract new interest they need to have something more tangible.

If it's not too late I would recommend a concept art book signed by the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That sounds pretty expensive.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916055:date=Mar 21 2012, 06:06 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Mar 21 2012, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That sounds pretty expensive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It wont be cheap for sure, but I would look at it as an investment.

The art style of NS2 is top notch. Personally I would pay for a concept art book of the NS2 universe.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    I want an NS poster.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <a href="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29888722" target="_blank">http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show....php?p=29888722</a>

2sblind, stay classy
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    Who from the UWE staff will be there?
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1917745:date=Mar 25 2012, 08:11 PM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firewater @ Mar 25 2012, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who from the UWE staff will be there?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All of them (at least those based in the SF office anyway)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Everyone based in the SF office will be there! We can't wait to meet as many of you as possible.

Regarding the DLC, thankyou for all the feedback. We're moving towards the idea of including the entire community in it. Right now it is looking like a small in-game icon that people can earn over the PAX weekend. You earn it by performing a certain simple action, that helps promote NS2 (We won't give away the specific action just yet!).

This allows everyone, regardless of their ability to attend PAX, to participate in the promotion, and acquire the icon.
  • SaschaSascha Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72444Members
    edited March 2012
    Oh how I hate exlusive real world event codes since some people are not able to fly over the half world in order to get it. In my opinion its unfair because not every person has the same chance to get it. If you really throw this code out only at the pax you should do it here too (online) maybe as a donation gift or something like this.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1918032:date=Mar 26 2012, 02:01 PM:name=Sascha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sascha @ Mar 26 2012, 02:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh how I hate exlusive real world event codes since some people are not able to fly over the half world in order to get it. In my opinion its unfair because not every person has the same chance to get it. If you really throw this code out only at the pax you should do it here too (online) maybe as a donation gift or something like this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read the post above your own ;P
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918033:date=Mar 26 2012, 02:04 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Mar 26 2012, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Read the post above your own ;P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know dude I saw it to late (sorry at this point) but you can see it as a general comment too since a lot of devs. do such of things at special gaming events like the pax,gamescom etc. and they don't care about their online followers its glad to know unknow worlds care about our opinion which is specialy reason for me to support them for the future. I wish you a nice day.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Give aways at shows are never fair, especially for UK residence. I bought early and paid more for the Black Armour, thats cool, its looks great, but those just turning up at a trade show getting stuff and not the actual fans seems harsh.

Heres a carrot.... leading all the way to ebay. Muhahahaha!
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1917914:date=Mar 26 2012, 03:09 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 26 2012, 03:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917914"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone based in the SF office will be there! We can't wait to meet as many of you as possible.

Regarding the DLC, thankyou for all the feedback. We're moving towards the idea of including the entire community in it. Right now it is looking like a small in-game icon that people can earn over the PAX weekend. You earn it by performing a certain simple action, that helps promote NS2 (We won't give away the specific action just yet!).

This allows everyone, regardless of their ability to attend PAX, to participate in the promotion, and acquire the icon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awesome! Just <b>please</b>, don't let it have to do with Facebook. Liking NS2 on Facebook was what I had to think of, as a simple action to promote NS2 wheter attending PAX or not.
    And I'd rather not endanger my personal information by having to register at a place like that.

Using the Steam feature to recommend games would be a good requirement. :]
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    I don't think an event to get an item will really draw people in as much as giving out a code card and later feeling the need to redeem it when they get home.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    They can do both... :)
    Hand out codes at pax and make this promotion get a code thing for the rest.
  • DoppyDoppy Join Date: 2006-11-15 Member: 58624Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hmm, will you guys be coming to PAX Prime in Seattle in August? I sure hope so!
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1917914:date=Mar 26 2012, 03:09 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 26 2012, 03:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917914"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're moving towards the idea of including the entire community in it. Right now it is looking like a small in-game icon that people can earn over the PAX weekend. You earn it by performing a certain simple action, that helps promote NS2 (We won't give away the specific action just yet!).

This allows everyone, regardless of their ability to attend PAX, to participate in the promotion, and acquire the icon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Any news on this? :]
  • tigersmithtigersmith Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32749Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1923549:date=Apr 9 2012, 11:00 AM:name=Security)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Security @ Apr 9 2012, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any news on this? :]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I talked to charlie directly about this at pax. He said they discussed it and they really want to keep the DLC just for the people who went to pax east.
    <!--quoteo(post=1923830:date=Apr 10 2012, 06:13 PM:name=tigersmith)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tigersmith @ Apr 10 2012, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I talked to charlie directly about this at pax. He said they discussed it and they really want to keep the DLC just for the people who went to pax east.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I saw this news coming... for a collector player like me it is really sad. I live in germany and it was just to expensive for me (time and money) to fly to the pax east in order to get this dlc and talk with the devs... :(
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1916011:date=Mar 21 2012, 01:19 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Mar 21 2012, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it's not too late I would recommend a concept art book signed by the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Many of the Kickstarter/Adventure Game proposals (think Tim Schafer and Double Fine) include ebook/pdf signed copies of concept art, which may be a more viable option.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1923835:date=Apr 10 2012, 04:30 PM:name=Sascha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sascha @ Apr 10 2012, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I saw this news coming... for a collector player like me it is really sad. I live in germany and it was just to expensive for me (time and money) to fly to the pax east in order to get this dlc and talk with the devs... :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

same here, seems like americans cant share things with the rest of the world
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916059:date=Mar 21 2012, 06:29 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Mar 21 2012, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It wont be cheap for sure, but I would look at it as an investment.

The art style of NS2 is top notch. Personally I would pay for a concept art book of the NS2 universe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this would be pretty sweet too.

FWIW for the UWE team if they want to make this happen, I looked into making a photo book for personal reasons a while ago and found that www.blurb.com was one of the best deals.

Price wise, you can get one made for as low as $20. For something nice, like a 40 page hardcover with dust jacket or image-wrap cover, it's about $35 each. They have up to 15% discounts for ordering in volume as well.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would pay $35 for a really nice hardcover NS2 art and concept art book after the game launches. Maybe even bundle it as a special edition with the game for $50 or $60?