Lifeforms tied to hives

countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
Could we have i like in NS1: Only need res for lifeforms, not a number of hives?

The onos is now not a fighter, it is instead only for finishing an already won game (3 hives means huge ownage of aliens). It's a bit sad, because it's one of the most fun to play lifeforms. There could be enormous battles, if onoses would fight for <i>getting </i>the third hive, not for killing bases only.

And also I found it <i>way</i> to hard to get another 2nd hive up if the first was killed - because you just can't get lifeforms, even with 3 rts up..

I think it was one of the most exciting points of NS1, that lifeforms would always be coming up and had to struggle wih less upgrades and abilities at one hive - but have the chance to earn more by rushing another hive.

The way it is now: Be the better team, enjoy yourself having an onos in the end to make an epic 'GRRROOOAARR' end. In even battles you will never get an onos, because in even battles there's (usually) no third hive.

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's definitely being discussed, see the most recent design log:

<a href="http://tinyurl.com/ns2design" target="_blank">http://tinyurl.com/ns2design</a>

I agree to an extent but I'm not sure what you could take away from the current Onos to make them weaker at Hive 1 . Stomp obviously, but that's not nearly as important to them as it was in NS1. All they have left is Gore and Smash which are both pretty critical to playing their role.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> The current gameplay in PUB is very VERY monotonous. The only upgrades ever available for the aliens is carapace, until the 2nd hive.. And noone ever seems to get swarm until the very end(?)

A gorge ability to syphen res to the team res (hive command) would be ideal, too!
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This has been brought up many times, and I completly agree. Unlocking lifeforms from the hive will open up the game and make it less linear.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    At the moment there is little to no incentive for anyone to spend res, even less so without a second hive to defend. I fear this would create a situation where, at an exact point in time, if the marines had not yet won the game by say, 6 minutes in, they would suddenly be rushed by 9 carapace fades. Even worse, wait till 9 minutes in and 9 carapace onos instead.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    I've posted <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117102" target="_blank">an idea to address this issue</a>, if anyone's interested.
  • Tux0rTux0r Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27808Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is one thing i really loved about NS, you could get one or two really pr0 fades which could really turn the games for aliens, and as marines setting up a shotgun gank squad to counter the fade was a lot more important, and more rewarding