Charlie IAmA on Reddit

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
<div class="IPBDescription">Lots of Q&A happening there now</div>I've never done one of these, but our IAmA thread is still on the front page of Reddit (barely). Lots of talk about modding, the history of NS1, post v1.0 plans, and community love. Join in or see what is on other people's minds about us:

<a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/qgp6n/charlie_cleveland_cofounder_of_indie_game_company" target="_blank">http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/qgp6...ie_game_company</a>

Fun!

Comments

• InfinityInfinity And beyond&#33; Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 50Members
    Fitting that this would be your 7777th post.

Haven't seen you this talkative since the black and orange forum :P
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1909829:date=Mar 4 2012, 10:57 AM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Mar 4 2012, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Below is one post by Charlie i really appreciated since i know a lot of us have been around since even before the Alpha with our suggestions and "helpful" comments lol.

AUTOGRADER posted:

"Did you ever feel worried that having an OPEN(ish) beta so early in the development process for NS2 would negatively impact how the game is received?
    Has the feedback you've received been helpful?"

Charlie's response:

"Nope. We want to make sure we're making a sequel that is faithful to the original. We've made some bad decisions that we've reversed since even before the beta (we started getting feedback in 2009) and I'm SO glad.
    The feedback is tremendous. Everything from making sure it runs on all different systems to changing alien abilities, guiding the alien commander role, and staying focused on the things that people really want (performance, control, expressivity).
    We don't do everything our community tells us, but it's a guide. Sometimes someone says something on our forums and a light goes on and we immediately make that change. Other times we have to look to see WHY they're saying it, but the solution they propose is totally wrong."

<3 dev team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Woot
  • angus320angus320 Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78373Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    we have official confirmation:

<!--QuoteBegin-Flayra+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/qgp6n/charlie_cleveland_cofounder_of_indie_game_company/c3xj9dp" target="_blank">We may add a fireman's hat for the Gorge</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the gorge will become op
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1909899:date=Mar 4 2012, 06:35 PM:name=angus320)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (angus320 @ Mar 4 2012, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we have official confirmation:

the gorge will become op<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would probably delete NS2 if they did that.
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That was a good read. I just hope the Gorge hat comment was a joke lol.

The replay system would be great and didn't realise this was going to be implemented. Good stuff.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Did someone say replay system? Commence salivation.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1909980:date=Mar 4 2012, 10:56 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 4 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did someone say replay system? Commence salivation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Quick people I need help here, I can't contain his enthusiasm alone... Commander I need reinforcements!
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1909894:date=Mar 4 2012, 12:20 PM:name=Infinity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infinity @ Mar 4 2012, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909894"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haven't seen you this talkative since the black and orange forum :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?act=idx" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?act=idx</a>
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love it! Can't wait for release!
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909980:date=Mar 4 2012, 10:56 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 4 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did someone say replay system? Commence salivation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That indeed seemed like dropping a bomb out of nowhere.

Can I assume you're talking about a packet-recorder (Gldsrc\NS1 style of demo-ing)? Or is it exactly what I'm doing and should I stop working on that...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1910008:date=Mar 4 2012, 03:39 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 4 2012, 03:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That indeed seemed like dropping a bomb out of nowhere.

Can I assume you're talking about a packet-recorder (Gldsrc\NS1 style of demo-ing)? Or is it exactly what I'm doing and should I stop working on that...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can't find the reference, but I don't think they never said they were not going to include some type of replay system similar to the source demo recorder. However, I find it doubtful it'd make it in before v1.0. You're gamestate recorder would definitely be appreciated.