Fade shadow step

2»

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1909084:date=Mar 1 2012, 08:43 PM:name=Xostean)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xostean @ Mar 1 2012, 08:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol wtf is that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sparkle fade is sparkling
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I think its safe to say stab is officially useless, RIP fade

The moment I heard double tapping was going to be implemented I knew people would be unintentionally shadow stepping all over the place, I don't see why they didn't just go with the special movement key "Shift"... You are currently allowed to use special movement while in shade cloak so I don't see it being a problem and the new cloak you can't even walk in so I'm lost at why they thought double tapping in a FPS that requires constant toggling of directional keys to be a good idea.

Shadow stepping in general is overpowering, should be a 3-5 second delay between shadow step, or less would have to actually test that out before I could make a clear decision, but the fact is shadow stepping all over the place as fade for free is a bit ridiculous.

Blink needs to be reworked IMO. I think it should have a set amount of momentum that builds and you can only reach its peek when doing a full blink. I find myself overshooting marines a lot with the momentum after a 2 foot blink, so I usually just blink into the air now and drop on marines. I feels far to energy consuming to be worth using in a group with a flamer among them, but I'm hoping for the movement chamber hive to come soon to see a resolve to that.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Orange, a lot of stuff broke in the current build due to the big overhaul of the movement system. I would expect things to get better in the next build or so.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909088:date=Mar 2 2012, 05:56 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 2 2012, 05:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i really hate to be the one to beat a dead horse again... but.. did the devs play Yuuki's fade mod? I've been playing with it in some scrims lately and <b>wow</b>.. it fixes a lot of the problems with fade's visibility time and makes it somehow more skill based AND fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They did, they mentioned it at some point. The recent fade changes, except shadow step, are clearly inspired by it.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't like shadow step at all. It feels redundant with blink. It voided the usefulness of the flamer against fades as heavy counter.
    And the effect is nothing you couldn't achieve with a short blink.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909172:date=Mar 2 2012, 12:54 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Mar 2 2012, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like shadow step at all. It feels redundant with blink. It voided the usefulness of the flamer against fades as heavy counter.
    And the effect is nothing you couldn't achieve with a short blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    agree

Finding a solution for a problem (fade blink) can't be solved with splitting it up to (blink + higher energycost) and (shadow step) ... its redundancy trying to avoid the broken invisible mechanic of blink itself (imho)
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1909089:date=Mar 2 2012, 05:59 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Mar 2 2012, 05:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909089"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that's what we tested today. i cannot say yet if this will be released, but chances are good<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That sounds great!
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1909129:date=Mar 2 2012, 12:58 AM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Mar 2 2012, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shadow stepping in general is overpowering, should be a 3-5 second delay between shadow step, or less would have to actually test that out before I could make a clear decision, but the fact is shadow stepping all over the place as fade for free is a bit ridiculous.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Completely agree.... The current shadowstep encourages people to sit there and spam it until the marines have to reload, and then go for a kill. It's got no cooldown, and no energy cost when the fade previously revolved around those 2 things (timing and careful adrenaline planning). This and the skulk air control change I feel just encourage people to use stupid/frustrating tactics in combat and I feel it killed a lot of the tact you needed to play Kharaa previously. I really hope they can make it work out.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1909264:date=Mar 2 2012, 07:34 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Mar 2 2012, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909264"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Completely agree.... The current shadowstep encourages people to sit there and spam it until the marines have to reload, and then go for a kill. It's got no cooldown, and no energy cost when the fade previously revolved around those 2 things (timing and careful adrenaline planning). This and the skulk air control change I feel just encourage people to use stupid/frustrating tactics in combat and I feel it killed a lot of the tact you needed to play Kharaa previously. I really hope they can make it work out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think you understand, shadow step doesn't make the fade invulnerable at any point.
    It's simply a direction change displayed with a blink effect. It's alot less effective than blink.
    I think it's a great addition to the movement abilities of the fade, it needs a bit of tweaking though.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I believe they are changing the double-tap to shift+key next patch. The double-tap also makes me rage, just because of how damn unreliable it is. Too often it wont shadowstep when I want to and will when I dont.