Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 199 released

Comments

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1908511:date=Mar 1 2012, 02:06 PM:name=thelinx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thelinx @ Mar 1 2012, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Plenty of PC games has double-tapping for special moves. Don't tell me you've never played Unreal Tournament?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UT is ranged vs ranged. Taking away precise movement control from a melee class doesnt make sense to me either. This is what i think endar means by consolitis.
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    Vindictus does it... melee + crazy awesome fast dodge-type moves. It's not a new mechanic and I think current hate on the feature is simply because you have to get used to it. Everyone should just TRY to adjust instead of rejecting it because it's new (like usual).
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908560:date=Mar 1 2012, 03:31 PM:name=sickboy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sickboy @ Mar 1 2012, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Vindictus does it... melee + crazy awesome fast dodge-type moves. It's not a new mechanic and I think current hate on the feature is simply because you have to get used to it. Everyone should just TRY to adjust instead of rejecting it because it's new (like usual).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.. you dont get me.
    Taking away <b>precise movement control</b>
    <b>Precise movement control</b>

Crazy super awesome fast dodge type moves? This is what blink already did. What does shadowstep add and why do we need a fixed distance short blink? If im judging right from the above video and you can't control it very well, then it adds nothing but a useless ability no one will ever use especially if it shares the 1sec blink cd. Your right, will need to try it out and get used to it etc. but im <b>skeptical</b> ( not hating) for the above reason and not because its simply 'new'.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    I think it was put in to try make the fade more interesting and challenging to play? as in raising the skill threshhold.

I however dont like the idea of double tapping keys to make stuff happen, cause usually itl just happen when i didnt want it to.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908538:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:00 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Mar 1 2012, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- The default Air friction is too high. Almost every class now slows down significantly in the air, especially the Lerk. I suggest apply air friction only when none of the WASD movement keys are depressed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

does anyone playtest the lerk at all? stuff like this makes me doubt it..

<!--quoteo(post=1908562:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:37 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Mar 1 2012, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No.. you dont get me.
    Taking away <b>precise movement control</b>
    <b>Precise movement control</b>

Crazy super awesome fast dodge type moves? This is what blink already did. What does shadowstep add and why do we need a fixed distance short blink? If im judging right from the above video and you can't control it very well, then it adds nothing but a useless ability no one will ever use especially if it shares the 1sec blink cd. Your right, will need to try it out and get used to it etc. but im <b>skeptical</b> ( not hating) for the above reason and not because its simply 'new'.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's obviously for use in combat to stay in melee range, or to circumvent the adrenaline loss for being on fire. Think outside your very tiny box!
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    When will we finally see a "useful" alien vision? The current one really is annoying, though I have to use it most of the time, and I miss most of the pretty graphics. And effects, like flames, etc.
    <!--quoteo(post=1908566:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:52 AM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Mar 1 2012, 12:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908566"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When will we finally see a "useful" alien vision? The current one really is annoying, though I have to use it most of the time, and I miss most of the pretty graphics. And effects, like flames, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully never, since it's a completely one-sided mechanic and complicates the mess that is light/dark effects in maps.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908546:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:11 PM:name=tyrael64)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tyrael64 @ Mar 1 2012, 12:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i love the new fade!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What game are <i>you</i> playing? Cause that doesn't sound like build 199 of NS2.
  • AegisXIAegisXI Join Date: 2012-02-11 Member: 144985Members
    edited March 2012
    IMO they should've added some abilities to all the aliens list that mostly needed a new buff to help with the other lifeforms then give fade that shadowstepping

P.S. My english is pretty bad sorry if it seems confusing to read
    <!--quoteo(post=1908565:date=Mar 1 2012, 03:50 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 1 2012, 03:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's obviously for use in combat to stay in melee range, or to circumvent the adrenaline loss for being on fire. Think outside your very tiny box!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why so hostile.. anyway
    1) goodluck staying in melee range with an ability that acts like a fixed distance blink. Hello there overshoot.
    2) Do we need to nerf the flamer anymore than it already is? This is a silly reason.. "oh im on fire. oh well doesnt really matter much, i can still blink".
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908519:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:19 PM:name=ThyReaper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ThyReaper @ Feb 29 2012, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges can shift-walk in cloak without belly sliding, because it takes precedence when cloaked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does the Gorge still insta belly slide if cloak-walk is broken while on infestation?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908570:date=Feb 29 2012, 09:00 PM:name=AegisXI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AegisXI @ Feb 29 2012, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMO they should've added some abilities to all the aliens list that mostly needed a new buff to help with the other lifeforms then give fade that shadowstepping

P.S. My english is pretty bad sorry if it seems confusing to read<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think they're working on that, Lerk will get Bile Bomb and Gorge will get Goo Wall, Skulk Xenocide gets better polish and released again..
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1908571:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:01 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Mar 1 2012, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) goodluck staying in melee range with an ability that acts like a fixed distance blink. Hello there overshoot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is why you know your distances and learn to not overshoot.
    I haven't played the new patch yet, but hearing the buffs/nerfs on some stuff IE Hive HP and Nano Shield Ect, are the things i'm mostly interested in and hope it actually helps balances out the outcome of the game. New abilities should be looked after all these fixes/buffs, but thats just me lol
    <!--quoteo(post=1908574:date=Mar 1 2012, 04:05 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Mar 1 2012, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which is why you know your distances and learn to not overshoot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So all i need to do is stay out of melee range just enough so you will overshoot no?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Can you turn quickly while stepping and make a Swipe on the 'rine?
  • serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like idea of shadow step but /please/ make it bound to something other than double tap. That seems to be the consensus of everyone I hear on mic chat too.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1908577:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:12 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Mar 1 2012, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So all i need to do is stay out of melee range just enough so you will overshoot no?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're in melee range you should be slashing the marine instead of spamming blink. Which the shadowstep would either be used to hop to the next marine or get some direction to blink away.
    <!--quoteo(post=1908571:date=Mar 1 2012, 01:01 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Mar 1 2012, 01:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do we need to nerf the flamer anymore than it already is? This is a silly reason.. "oh im on fire. oh well doesnt really matter much, i can still blink".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it's not exactly a nerf to the flamethrower either

if a fade is on fire and he continues to shadowstep around at close range, he should be dying (provided the enemy team is supporting their flamethrower)

it prevents 1 guy with a flamethrower and jetpack soloing all the fades he can find, because that isn't how the flamethrower is supposed to work
    Hmm maybe if u think of shadowstepping more like kinda a retreat method then a get closer to melee method it maybe useful if ur out of energy? Well thats what I would use it for and blink to run or get closer if u have enough energy for it. I'm a scared fade so I run a lot lol
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1908569:date=Mar 1 2012, 03:56 PM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Mar 1 2012, 03:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What game are <i>you</i> playing? Cause that doesn't sound like build 199 of NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IMO the new Fade controls are the one movement related change they got right with this patch, everything else feels pretty awful. Skulks feel like they're moving through thick sticky mud and the lerks handle like a flying gorge.

The point of the Fade's shadow step and why it's a separate ability to blinking is to allow it to be no longer near permanently invulnerable. That said I think they should let you blink in all directions still, but maintain the current high energy cost and shadow stepping as the free but vulnerable and tricky option.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1908607:date=Mar 1 2012, 02:47 AM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Mar 1 2012, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMO the new Fade controls are the one movement related change they got right with this patch, everything else feels pretty awful. Skulks feel like they're moving through thick sticky mud and the lerks handle like a flying gorge.

The point of the Fade's shadow step and why it's a separate ability to blinking is to allow it to be no longer near permanently invulnerable. That said I think they should let you blink in all directions still, but maintain the current high energy cost and shadow stepping as the free but vulnerable and tricky option.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i don't see a problem with strafe blinking added back in together with the 100% forward control. i will discuss it with the other devs but from my side this change has green light for the next patch. i will also add more air control when you come out of blink (so you can strafe in air or move backwards to cancel more of your momentum)

the skulk stickyness is also something im very concerned about. in build 198 and before it happened very often that you simply slipped of walls when your movement was parallel to the wall or at some certain angle, basically the oposite problem. ill try to find the golden middle of stickyness for the next patch.

and the lerk was unfortunately a victim. his change is unintended, but i found the problem and you can expect it as fixed for next patch.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited March 2012
    Still I can't play :( It crash when I join or create a lan game

Here is the log

Date: 02/29/12
    Time: 22:58:41
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 199
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (8.17.12.8562)
    Connected to Steam servers
    Connecting to server 127.0.0.1:27015
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_view.animation_graph
    Loading 'maps/ns2_rockdown.level'
    Client connecting (127.0.0.1)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited March 2012
    Just Dling now, but lemme guess, now we *finally* have Fade skill movement, and people are unhappy...who could have guessed lol! Get over it, at least they din't put the 2nd hive cost up! (too 100, lol that would be troublesome now wouldn't it!)

Yay lots of !!! marks, how is skulk mov change working out peeps?

PS: Oh, and yes, please allow more +move+ keys to change fade mov at important times, that might be the true 'balance' your hoping for.
    PLz Plz, how come every patch I have to turn off atmospherics and aa in setup to rune the game? Okay that isnt my question, my question is HOW DO I DO SO, where is the option in game....oh wait.
    PLz Plz, how come every patch I have to turn off atmospherics and aa in setup to rune the game? Okay that isnt my question, my question is HOW DO I DO SO, where is the option in game....oh wait.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1908635:date=Mar 1 2012, 02:38 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Mar 1 2012, 02:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908635"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PLz Plz, how come every patch I have to turn off atmospherics and aa in setup to rune the game? Okay that isnt my question, my question is HOW DO I DO SO, where is the option in game....oh wait.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You type r_atmospherics 0 every game in console, or download<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113246" target="_blank"> this </a>mod and it will do it for you.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908618:date=Mar 1 2012, 12:41 AM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yimmasabi @ Mar 1 2012, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still I can't play :( It crash when I join or create a lan game

Here is the log

Date: 02/29/12
    Time: 22:58:41
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 199
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (8.17.12.8562)
    Connected to Steam servers
    Connecting to server 127.0.0.1:27015
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_mm_view.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/exosuit/exosuit_view.animation_graph
    Loading 'maps/ns2_rockdown.level'
    Client connecting (127.0.0.1)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Your problem could be the map (rockdown). The developers stopped supporting it a year ago.
    No, there is a way to change things in xml, I know so. Okay so I might have to do it every patch, but how? f this is annoying. Why so much different from any other games main menu or start up option? Gah. I don't really mind if a patch ganks my performance, however I need the ability to adapt...
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    I wonder how the fades ability is.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Increased ARC damage to 900 per salvo (NS1 siege turrets did 400 damage every 4 seconds, ARCs fire every 10 seconds). Aliens, you have been warned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why always these comparing?
    A arc is way more diffrent to a a (great) siege, a arc can move and is a way more dangerous enemy then a siege.