Drumbra

evasivemonkeyevasivemonkey Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70555Members
edited February 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">A alien comm combination attack.</div>Hey everyone, i just had an idea and thought i'd put it up to see if it could be any good.

It's something to make the alien comm more interesting using the crag and drifter. Okay so when the comm uses umbra, just like how it sticks to players it could stick to drifters and
then if the comm uses flare it could cause a umbra cloud to explode outward, both protecting the aliens and blinding the marines. So basically it would work like the umbra cloud in ns1 except through the drifters and give the added benefit of blinding the enemy at the expense of a drifter, it would make alien commander more interesting too i think.

So yeah, if it has potential let me know. :)

Comments

• assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    i kinda like it, sounds like too much work tho. Should just give the drifter a number of upgrades to purchase and that umbra can be one of them.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908266:date=Feb 29 2012, 08:48 AM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Feb 29 2012, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->too much work<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It shouldn't be too hard, if the devs have the umbra coded properly (i.e. not spaghetti code) they can just take the property of umbra and put it into the drifter.
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_programming" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_programming</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1908285:date=Mar 1 2012, 04:54 AM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Mar 1 2012, 04:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It shouldn't be too hard, if the devs have the umbra coded properly (i.e. not spaghetti code) they can just take the property of umbra and put it into the drifter.
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_programming" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_programming</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats pretty much what i said.

What the op is talking about is clicking the crag, using umbra, the umbra sticks to the drifter and then you click the drifter take it somewhere and detonate him and cause a new umbra cloud
  • evasivemonkeyevasivemonkey Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70555Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908563:date=Mar 1 2012, 03:38 PM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Mar 1 2012, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats pretty much what i said.

What the op is talking about is clicking the crag, using umbra, the umbra sticks to the drifter and then you click the drifter take it somewhere and detonate him and cause a new umbra cloud<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good point, in that case you could click on the crag while controlling the drifter and say a short animation would play with the drifter interacting with the crag and after the drifter would have the umbra cloud attached for say a minute or so. It would make it much simpler and it could possibly work for all the buildings, like grab the drifter, cloak it by moving it to a shade then umbra it by moving to a crag. Then you would have a drifter not to be messed with, capable of deploying the drumbra cloud in the middle of battle.

Being able to upgrade it like it assbda mentioned would work too but i feel like it would be funner as the alien comm to interact with the buildings you make, its not make or break on the idea though.
    Yeah but im saying thats alot of work, and what im suggesting is just a upgrade you purchase so that every drifter thats made from that point HAS the umbra cloud when they detonate. Thus not needing to move to the crag with every single drifter.

A cloaking explosion drifter would be cool to so all aliens around that drifter get cloaked when it explodes. No need for chambers everywhere!

Give drifters a real purpose to be micro managed
  • evasivemonkeyevasivemonkey Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70555Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908606:date=Mar 1 2012, 05:42 PM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Mar 1 2012, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah but im saying thats alot of work, and what im suggesting is just a upgrade you purchase so that every drifter thats made from that point HAS the umbra cloud when they detonate. Thus not needing to move to the crag with every single drifter.

A cloaking explosion drifter would be cool to so all aliens around that drifter get cloaked when it explodes. No need for chambers everywhere!

Give drifters a real purpose to be micro managed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah i see what you mean now, having all drifters have the ability once researched sounds pretty good actually. Yeah drifters used in several different ways is what i'd love to see and why i thought this up, drifters have great potential for the aliens but so far are mostly just builders. The drifter cloak umbra bomb would be one of the coolest things too, everytime as a marine you see a drifter you'd go for it before the skulk munching on your face. It even has room for several different comm playstyles.

The drifter tied to the hives upgrade chamber should work, so if you have a crag hive you can get umbra drifters, if you have a shade hive cloak drifters. Making a cloak umbra bomb could work in the way that you get each of those drifters together then combine them with a similar animation to the building one with a short build time and bam, you have a cloak drumbra bomb drifter.

I feel like i've said drifter too much.