[195]harassing/flaming the newbie commanders

2»

Comments

• GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    I posted about this issue and a guide to it here.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116048" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=116048</a>

Ill bump the post
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    nice, yours got webbed :) this should help.

still, i'd also apprecieate this:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game should allow commanders on 1-player-connected servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it should be rather easy to implement, not distracting devs too much from other things. it might not teach you everything, but you will get to know the interface & techtree first hand.
  • Squiffy101Squiffy101 Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62608Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906364:date=Feb 23 2012, 08:34 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 23 2012, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Nobody took the obvious answers
    Being polite."

<u>EXACTLY</u>.
    i relate to this thread. disclaimer: i know how to comm in every respect for marines, i am good enough with comming marines <u>to get by</u>, but do not consider myself better than most, and am always verbal about it -<i> yet people get so upset!</i>

last night no one would take the comm chair. in fact they all stood around for a good 15 seconds, like chirping birds begging to get fed. i warned that i could do the basics but that not to expect anything great. so what happens? everything is going fine, but for some reason i dont hear the world's <b>most impatient man:</b> "Gorgeous Gorge" needs medpacks. (i swear, either its broken sometimes, or i just dont hear "need medpack" over everything else going on) then he gets into a pissing match with me over the mic. I tell him he can have the chair and comm, i've been verbal about this since the get go, and all he says is "<i>Yea okay i'll go comm and not give you medpacks</i>".... of course he doesn't go comm.

people don't want that responsibility in pugs.. they are averse to it.. but they are MORE than happy to shout obscenities and stammer like a 4 year old, calling you names etc.

too bad, too.. i make it a point to always guide and give advice to a new comm, and even if he isn't new you'll hear me shouting , "beacon! beacon!" but i never get so <b>MAD </b>or rude like so many people do. really hope the community stays mature and learns how to deal with this situation in games.. read: Be patient, helpful, respectful. ..its a game...i dont believe i have to say this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The amount of times I've seen this in games is ridiculous! I can't stand it when anyone slags down the commander, even if he is being a complete pratt, but to do it just because they haven't had enough experience is totally out of order.

I haven't comm'd on a pub game for fear of being flamed...can't wait to get my own server so I can kick/blacklist any idiot that acts like this as then I'll get players who have manners and consideration for others.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited February 2012
    Bots would probably be the best solution, let players command a team of bots to get the hang of it.

You can also consider adding things in to make comming less difficult, the aforementioned medpack issue really bugs me, I have better things to do as commander than manually approve every medpack request. Why can't I have a box that I can tick which allows injured marines to automatically recieve medpacks if they call for them? Or why can't marines buy medpacks from the armory that they can use on themselves? There's lots of ways you could make it less of an annoyance for the commander.

Same thing goes for macs, why can't I set a mac to just automatically repair/build everything in the room? Why don't they do that automatically? Why would I want it to sit and do nothing most of the time? Why do turrets need manually reloading? Why do arcs not deploy automatically if they're in range of a structure to attack and I haven't given them orders recently? Why do I have to manually select which structure I want to fire a special power from? Why aren't they all just lined up on the side of the screen with the total number of charges left for each power so I can just click one and fire it from anywhere on the map? Why don't medpacks and ammo packs work like that?

The comms for both teams are full of just really bad interface choices, you could do an awful lot to make them more intutive to use, faster to use, less full of pointless busy work. More focussed on strategy than doing things that could easily be automated. It doesn't make me feel like a good commander if I can do something that I could probably program the game to do itself even with my incredibly limited knowledge of programming. It makes me wonder why the TSA bothers with commanders.

Otherwise, beyond shooting a sizeable fraction of the playerbase, I'm not sure you can solve it.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1906460:date=Feb 24 2012, 03:44 AM:name=Worship)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Worship @ Feb 24 2012, 03:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have seen a few VERY RUDE players get VERY angry at new commanders. I really wish I knew who they were, they were a clan for sure I just cannot remember. But they basicly were complaining the whole game because of the n00b commander was playing while he was on the server. Constantly complaining that no n00b commander should EVER be commanding while they are on the server. I wanted to smack this guy so bad :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also long as you can have anyname you want ingame, everybody could f.e. Take my nick and doo bull###### on the Server.

We had a player yesterday who was blaming our com (a new one), our com left the CC to react to a skulk. So that player who blaimed the com entered the CC, and sold the base. Then I entered the CC and got ejected in 5s and our original com was ejected by a bug too.
    Another entered the cc, the player again said bulls...com all press v1.

And so on ate the end we had 4 ejected coms and I had to leave after 90min playing.

What OP wrote will never change, because some onlinegamers on play games for griefing, recording you how you get pissed of, just to show it to thery "clan"mates and rate how succesfull he was. Hard to explain what I mean. Search for myg0t to know what I mean.

Edit: WTF???
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First things first, I want to congratulate, [myg0t]Assini^ and y0gurt for winning the JANUARY RAGE CHALLENGE...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> They pay you kniw for this......omfg.....I'm shocked!
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What OP wrote will never change, because some onlinegamers on play games for griefing, recording you how you get pissed of, just to show it to thery "clan"mates and rate how succesfull he was. Hard to explain what I mean. Search for myg0t to know what I mean.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well people who troll intentionally are a different subject, you can't do anything against those except warn+kick+ban i guess. but these are not the kind of people i was refering to.

a rage challenge? now that really sounds immature. people really got nothing better to do? like... playing the game?