Cyst Structure Dependency

PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted GorgeRichmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
An idea hit me, what if a Cyst immediately connected to a building can survive even if separated from the Hive? For example:

A Crag Whips mini-base defending Ventilation Harvester, Hive in Sub-Access, and some Marines sneak from Crossroads and sever the link. The Cysts between Sub-Access and Vent become unconnected and die off (no buildings other than Cysts), but the Cysts supporting the Crag, Whips, and Harvester remain alive in Vent. The Marines would have to hit the Cysts in Vent to starve off the alien structures within, which I think shouldn't be a difficult task given the range advantage.

This would also allow a Gorge to invest a Hydra to keep his Mini-Cyst alive somewhere sneaky, creating neat forward bases at the Gorge's expense.

Comments

• MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    ^- Loving the constructive feedback <3

Don't you normally shoot Cysts anyway? Then handle the structures if lifeforms aren't breathing down your neck...
    I leave Cysts if I don't see a benefit to killing them, because everytime I whip out that Axe, a Skulk appears, or of I foolishly decide to shoot it, a skulk appears! And kills me.

I'll kill them in a group, or if I'm sure no threat is around, but other than that, I ignore them.

But it is very satisfying to severe the connection and watch their structures die; even if they die far to slowly, should be at least 3x the current rate. You take our Marine power, all Marine structures down, but res towers still collect res for Aliens!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    True, but at least your structures won't take damage without player intervention :P

Of course, being on infestation does have an effect on your Cyst weed-killing, what with you being on Hive Sight for all things slimy to see.
    Doesn't really matter.

Skulks need 2 bites to kill me.

I need 10 bullets to kill them...they are super fast, don't need to aim...and net code is "meh" at best, at least at current. I don't think it's right to give Aliens ANY more advantage, even once we get Exo Suit.
  • CannonFodder100CannonFodder100 Join Date: 2011-09-14 Member: 121355Members
    edited February 2012
    Interrupting cyst chains is a viable marine tactic to deal with the aliens' potent economic stability. Removing that ability would be coddling alien commanders needlessly.

Late-game, it would make it a bit difficult to clean up random cysts located around the map when hives are killed and large chains are severed. Also, a gorge could plop down a mini cyst and it would become a miniature base without having to be connected to the hive. Imagine - as excessively powerful as shade hives are just now, they would be utterly out of control when shades could be easily placed at any arbitrary location on the map.
    I doubt Cloak will be staying as powerful as the current design, at least not with complete invisibility. Even though this change might bring more desirable Gorge and AC interaction (forward bases and whatnot), I suppose it is an excessive buff for Cysts.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd rather just have either more hive energy or faster hive energy regen or lower cyst/drifter hive energy cost than this. One hive aliens are mostly limited from expanding from a lack of hive energy, making killing cysts early game very effective for hampering aliens.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1905795:date=Feb 22 2012, 11:42 AM:name=Mkilbride)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkilbride @ Feb 22 2012, 11:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doesn't really matter.

Skulks need 2 bites to kill me.

I need 10 bullets to kill them...they are super fast, don't need to aim...and net code is "meh" at best, at least at current. I don't think it's right to give Aliens ANY more advantage, even once we get Exo Suit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

3 bites, and you can shoot a whole clip before skulks can even get 3 bites in due to the delay between them. And yes, they do need to aim just as much as the marine does from close range. Looking at your earlier threads and posts it seems like you've never even played alien.