Communication

kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
Let me open up by saying the point I am driving home on is communication WITHOUT talking.
It is ten times better that a commander talk to the troops, but it is better if he is given tools so he doesn't have to.
I have watched my RTS friends and they do NOT talk to their units. It is hard for them to talk about everything.

Okay I think the communication has improved greatly for the marines.

The waypoints do the trick ...not everyone follows them ...but we knew not everyone would.
There could be a little polish in this area because some people do not SEE them. I actually have no suggestion here just an observation.
It does work and I have built and defended because my commander said so.

The mini-map
Yeah that guy who ran around the corner...he went that-a-way.
Again a little polish might be nice (friendlies blend against the wall color...i am going on movement)
But it does work...I LOVE it.

I have been on winning marine teams where the commander said next to nothing...but did use waypoints...and I used the minimap.
These mechanisms can turn any mild mannered commander into a winner.

The aliens really NEED these or similar mechanisms.
The frustrating losses because of lack of coordination and team splitting are way to common.

The waypoints (call them pheremones, global waypoints, whatever)
I have been on alien teams which lost simply because most people did not hear the commander...or did not know WHERE they talking about. Sometimes I forget where crossover is.

The mini-map ...just give it to me as alien ...my hand has a cramp from holding C.
I know the aliens are supposed to be different...but the mini-map helps me avoid dead ends and I can follow others so much easier.
I would include a photo of me begging on my knees ...but i am afraid of it ending up on 4chan.

So that's my little rant.
UWE keep the content coming, keep the performance improving, and I will keep playing.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Rebind you minimap key to you middle-mouse button, I swear by it. As for waypoints system and alien HUD those are going to get an overhaul in due time :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    "The mini-map ...just give it to me as alien ...my hand has a cramp from holding C."
    no!! i already want that useless thing removed from my precious screen real estate! its useless compared to the map, and only shows whats going on in that room alone, not the skulk chomping on my RT across the map, PLUS it is highly opaque! i need every inch of my peripheral when im vulnerable building (or in this case chomping)

how can looking at the map be a bad thing? i do it constantly, its so crucial especially for aliens seeing marines on infestation.
    i agree hive sight should be WAY better and more obvious... but how else would you know how to get to crossroads from atrium? your minimap that you desire wouldnt show that far! maybe with phermones a lot of these issues will be resolved..

i agree about other things tho.
    a suggestion for waypoints:
    <u>have them show up on the friggin map!!</u> its so frustrating to see a blue line go off into the void with some distance in numbers, not knowing which room it wants me to go to, who knows maybe i have to side step a room filled with hydras.. the waypoint wouldnt know that!
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905567:date=Feb 21 2012, 10:36 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 21 2012, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rebind you minimap key to you middle-mouse button, I swear by it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hell! What an idea.
    Well in the 7 years of playing NS1 it was ok to have it on the cbutton, because the icons let you instantly see what happened where. Now you have to look longer, because not everything is right yet. Dammit. Leaving for binding ;)
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Please make the way points show up on the map, it is extremely frustrating seeing a way point floating on your hud but not knowing where it will lead you.
  • StarkwindStarkwind Join Date: 2011-07-26 Member: 112394Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905611:date=Feb 21 2012, 05:30 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Feb 21 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please make the way points show up on the map, it is extremely frustrating seeing a way point floating on your hud but not knowing where it will lead you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2012
    Intuitive waypoints, or UI system or not, a team that does not use their microphones will always be disadvantaged to a team that does.

Natural Selection is about communication, best way to do that is with a mic. Hell I'm a female gamer on NS and get called a little boy/ made fun of more times than I can count, and still I could care less, I use my mic constantly in games because I want to win; because you can't really play this game without using your mic. In this day and age there is really not much excuse to not have a mic, and to not use it :P

but to your point, they have said they are going to be working on alien pheramones heavily in upcomming patches, and I'm sure some aspects of the comm/Khamm are going to get reworked before release to better smooth out non-verbal communication.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 to microphones. Use them or lose.
    +1 to waypoints (and maybe even a thin line for the route?) on the map.

Personally I have minimap bound to my mouse's thumb button. The small minimap in the corner of the screen... I never ever even look at it. I completely forget its existence because on a large resolution monitor it's way out there in the corner and unnoticable.

Try out Dghelneshi's minimap mod for transparency and better readability, btw:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=116254" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=116254</a>
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1905682:date=Feb 22 2012, 04:01 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Feb 22 2012, 04:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905682"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Intuitive waypoints, or UI system or not, a team that does not use their microphones will always be disadvantaged to a team that does.

Natural Selection is about communication, best way to do that is with a mic. Hell I'm a female gamer on NS and get called a little boy/ made fun of more times than I can count, and still I could care less, I use my mic constantly in games because I want to win; because you can't really play this game without using your mic. In this day and age there is really not much excuse to not have a mic, and to not use it :P

but to your point, they have said they are going to be working on alien pheramones heavily in upcomming patches, and I'm sure some aspects of the comm/Khamm are going to get reworked before release to better smooth out non-verbal communication.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with the little boy. ;p
    A team that uses the microphone a lot is noticeably stronger than one that doesn't. And it's more fun too.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Good points all.

My point on the NOT needing the mic was more for the commander.
    The microphone of course helps more.
    But if you invite your RTS playing buddy to play this game...don't be surprised if HE/SHE is not talking on it.
    The waypoint is a clearer persistent mechanism for communicating...and the RTS playing people are used to that.

My point on the mini-map was that I don't use the C button as much as a marine now.
    I use it occasionally.

As an alien I am pressing it constantly because there is no mini-map.

The mini-map is extremely helpful when traveling in a pack...you stop to shoot something...and where did they go.
    As a marine a quick glance usually answers the question and off I go.
    As an alien I hold C while running until I catch up.
    Do I get shot while holding C? ...of course I do I can barely see.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Even 6 players that know each other's play style can end up being a crowd on voice comm. Definitely microphone use should be encouraged, but it's not like you run out of things to communicate even if some stuff can be done with UI. With the less commander centric res model there's probably even more basic voice communication needed.

People also abuse their mics and voice channel so badly that I end up muting a lot while many others simply disable the whole voice traffic while pubbing. It would be nice if had some sure way of getting the message through rather than hoping that the guy hears your voice comm.

So yeah, good and varied communication methods are awesome.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905543:date=Feb 21 2012, 03:35 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Feb 21 2012, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The aliens really NEED these or similar mechanisms.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1

<!--quoteo(post=1905543:date=Feb 21 2012, 03:35 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Feb 21 2012, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The mini-map ...just give it to me as alien ...my hand has a cramp from holding C.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have a feeling this (aliens not having an all the time minimap) is one of Charlie's darlings.
    90% of the population want this feature, just give it to us.

To quote Steven King "kill your <a href="http://www.killyourdarlingsatl.com/2010/06/01/the-meaning-of-literary-expression-kill-your-darlings/" target="_blank">darlings</a>, kill your darlings, even when it breaks your egocentric little scribbler’s heart, kill your darlings".
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Get yourself a microphone and use it.

Microphones win games.