Jetpack cost vs viability

2»

Comments

• StarkwindStarkwind Join Date: 2011-07-26 Member: 112394Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906020:date=Feb 22 2012, 04:38 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Feb 22 2012, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most importantly, jetpacks need to be fun to use. Here's what I'd change:

- Fix the crouch/backwards speed scalars affecting jetpack flight.

- Gravity needs to be -20. The jetpack gives the player half gravity, which doesn't make any sense. Also, the fact that this wasn't needed for NS1 jetpacks indicates that the gravity in NS2 is too high.

- The acceleration should be <b>doubled</b>.

- Air friction should be removed or drastically decreased.

- The max speed should be increased to about 12 (current speed with rifle is 8.8; NS1's speed was roughly 14.375 in NS2 units)

- A better version of air control needs to be added (and not just for jetpacks). Here's how to do it:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function Player:ConstrainMoveVelocity(wishVelocity)

if not self:GetIsOnLadder() and not self:GetIsOnGround() and wishVelocity:GetLengthXZ() > 0 and self:GetVelocity():GetLengthXZ() > 0 then

local normWishVelocity = GetNormalizedVectorXZ(wishVelocity)
            local normVelocity = GetNormalizedVectorXZ(self:GetVelocity())
            local distance = Vector(normWishVelocity.x - normVelocity.x, 0, normWishVelocity.z - normVelocity.z):GetLengthXZ()

local airScalar = 0
            if(distance > 1.4142) then
                airScalar = 1
            end      

wishVelocity:Scale(airScalar)

end

end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    And if these changes make the jetpack overpowered, just nerf the fuel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    I would agree with the OP of personal experience, ... but it seems I just kinda suck to hard at using it! :D
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    the jetpack is great, my only gripe with it is (well not really towards it) that hitbox trails behind you so when you think youre 30 ft above a fade or skulk youre really 3 inches above them, and you take hits. makes jetpacks disorientating at times.

you people that dont like the jp should stop holding the jump button down. the jp has a thrust that will carry you a certain distance. learn to use the jp thrust before you go to forums complaining and then getting something nerfed plz
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906073:date=Feb 22 2012, 07:37 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Feb 22 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the jetpack is great, my only gripe with it is (well not really towards it) that hitbox trails behind you so when you think youre 30 ft above a fade or skulk youre really 3 inches above them, and you take hits. makes jetpacks disorientating at times.

you people that dont like the jp should stop holding the jump button down. the jp has a thrust that will carry you a certain distance. learn to use the jp thrust before you go to forums complaining and then getting something nerfed plz<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^this I've died so many time to onos while I thought I was well outside his reach only to be slammed into the ground.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1906093:date=Feb 23 2012, 03:08 AM:name=Visor1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Visor1 @ Feb 23 2012, 03:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^this I've died so many time to onos while I thought I was well outside his reach only to be slammed into the ground.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its the lag compensation - where you are on your own screen is usually 150-250ms from where you are on HIS screen ... so worst case,
    you think he is 1/4 of a second further away than he really is, and you are 1/4 of a second later in moving on HIS screen than you think
    you are.

You need to keep a LOT more margin than you think.
  • GodofThunderGodofThunder Join Date: 2011-12-13 Member: 137815Members
    edited February 2012
    Still not worth it. Launch time is way to slow. Jet packs currently have a high chance of being caught by every alien, even Onos. Main reason for this ive seen, is Onos get a run up so by the time they come around the corner they have a lot of speed. You hit your launch button but only get half way into the air before you get pulled back down. It would also be such an easy thing to do, and would balance out the fade problem. Need to reduce the cost of jet packs on all levels. Going to continue to bump.
    BUMP. Want JP's the same time as fades like they were surpose to be. Reduce cost please.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1915579:date=Mar 20 2012, 04:11 PM:name=GodofThunder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GodofThunder @ Mar 20 2012, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BUMP. Want JP's the same time as fades like they were surpose to be. Reduce cost please.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

reduced.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    SWEET! thx Schimmel.
    (Sewlek?...::scratches head::)
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1915585:date=Mar 20 2012, 04:26 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Mar 20 2012, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SWEET! thx Schimmel.
    (Sewlek?...::scratches head::)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

translate it from german to english (schimmel) and you understand why i changed it :P
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    What is wrong with Mold?

Your new name is a surname btw.
    <!--quoteo(post=1915580:date=Mar 21 2012, 10:12 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Mar 21 2012, 10:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->reduced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OMG OMG OMG I LOVE U GUYS. YESSSSSS JETPACKS!!!!!!!
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    A big problem with jetpacks at the moment is how heavily such a piece of equipment is affected by its environment (I say problem quite loosely, because I don't think it is a problem at all). Even in NS1 this was the case. Take ns_bast for example. Sending a jetpacker or two to refinery hive would spell disaster for an ill prepared alien team, while sending double that to feedwater hive would be no problem at all. You can see the same in NS2 when comparing ns2_tram hive rooms like warehouse and repair.

You need to understand some things about jetpacks. The first is, now this obviously depends on how good the player is, but in most cases jetpacks will massively decrease the damage a marine does. Shooting a moving target can be hard enough when moving slowly or standing still, add rapid airborne movement on the shooters side, and it becomes very difficult to do reliably. Secondly, a jetpack obviously doesn't increase armour at all, so it doesn't directly contribute to survivability. The only way a jetpack increases survivability is when the marine is travelling high and fast with it, making him a hard target to hit.

What this boils down to is the same thing it boiled down to in ns1; you do not use a jetpack to kill the enemy who is after you. When you kill a skulk while only having a shotgun, its easy. When you try do it while flying around the room, it suddenly becomes far more difficult. This is because you are doing it wrong. You use the jetpack to <b>get away</b> from the skulk, and go after priority targets. This mainly means hives and structures, and to a much lesser degree, onos.

In ns1, jetpacks were almost entirely used for killing off hives in large rooms. The comm would announce the target hive, drop as many jetpacks as were needed, and the marines would be off to the hive room. People didn't stop to fight skulks, lerks and fades. They didn't stop for res towers or offence chambers. Typically jetpackers used vents because the chance of encounters was less.
    In ns2 however, it seems like jetpacks are exclusively good for strategic mobility. Marines can get to key areas very quickly using jetpacks, but can't do much else. Phase gates pretty much eliminate the need for this, so jetpacks are only really useful when marines are already losing badly and aren't able to get outposts up, or have lost all of them.

So I see a couple of problems with the notion of jetpacks at the moment.

1. Jetpacks are currently too expensive to rush early game. And they are only used once the alien team has been throughly beaten. The problem with simply reducing the cost is that it would create a large imbalance. If it were feasible to rush jetpacks, say by the time aliens got their second hive, the marine team would easily have enough personal res to get a JP+shotgun combo for every player, which would quite easily take down both hives the aliens then had.
    2. Using Jetpacks to take down hive rooms is currently pointless because of how insanely effective arcs are. Rather have a couple of marines with free LMGs defending the arcs, and down the hive and everything in the room much much faster.
    3. Almost no maps are currently jetpack friendly. The only exception is two hive rooms; warehouse and cave. Other than hive rooms, passageways just aren't jetpack friendly either, with a ton of clutter to get stuck on and killed by.

Thats my take on it